PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Biking

BC14
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Just throwing a feeler thread out there for anyone interested in some mountain biking around the metro area. Lots of good trails for those of varying skill levels. I am no crazy rider myself, so I typically lean towards the more 'moderate' trails when I ride. Haven't been out enough this year.... A few good days left this season, and always a bunch next year....

Anyways, just a thought.

Erik

FZRguy
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 10:36 PM
We're doing Green Mtn, Zoro, Dakota Ridge, Red Rocks on Sunday Oct 3 if you want to join us. Buffalo Creek is up the following weekend.

BC14
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Wow....that's a bunch....I'm stuck working Sundays however.....damn

brennahm
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Give me a call BC. Only been a few times this year but you sound like someone in my skill range. I'm off during the day.

PsychoMike
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM
let me know if you come more north

BC14
Wed Sep 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I don't mind some travel for good riding... I'm down in the springs area currently(vaca), did Rampart Reservoir(again)... I love that ride.

bodhizafa
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I'd like to check out Buffalo Creek, I'll keep an eye out for a post in a week or so.

BC14
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Buffalo Creek looks like a good ride. Decent distance as well. I'll have to check that one out soon. Next weekend should still be ok weather wise.... I'd have to go on Friday or Sat (8th-9th).

Winsa12
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I would be all for this if I wasn't heading to South Dakota next week for about a month. Too much to do this weekend to make the girl happy with me. Next year I am in though. Keep me in the loop.

200sr20
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Depending on when you go I'm down!

FZRguy
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Buffalo Creek is a classic ride that is about 19 miles out and back. We're planning on Oct 9 or 10 if the weather holds.

D Berns R6
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:31 PM
I usually go to Deer Creek, Matthew Winters, and Apex on the weekends if anyone is interested...

bodhizafa
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
Not to make anyone jealous but I think I'm heading out to Fruita for some riding on the 9 and 10th :)

D Berns R6
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Not to make anyone jealous but I think I'm heading out to Fruita for some riding on the 9 and 10th :)

That is fun, especially zippity doo day, kessel run, and shoots and ladders!

bodhizafa
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Havnt ridden Zippity yet.

FZRguy
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:16 AM
Did the Fruita Festival in May. I think we're doing Fat Tire BW next year, and a Moab trip.

FZRguy
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 12:21 AM
If you like technical rock riding, give Dakota Ridge a try. I think riding it south to north would be more fun than the north to south route we rode today. Buffalo Creek may be on hold cuz they closed the Mt Evans road. Traditional ride I do from Echo Lake to the summit, and ya gotta get it done sooner rather than later. We hit up Tommy Knockers for brews/eats afterward you guys want to join us.

BC14
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I've been wanting to give Dakota Ridge a go, but feel it may be a little above my ability level. Need to probably do some more riding in the spring and hit it then. Anyone doing other trails in the area this upcoming weekend? Fri or Sat.

brennahm
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I'll probably try and hit Green Mtn one of those days.

BC14
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I'm down for that, for sure. Friday is looking nicer, right now at least.

brennahm
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Either way...

bodhizafa
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Where would you find some fast flowing trails around the metro, something like Kessel in Fruita?

FZRguy
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Green Mtn has some fairly smooth trails. There's this trail in Clear Creek up around Kermitts that my buddy has been telling me about. I haven't ridden it yet. I'll ask him exact location.

bodhizafa
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I'll have to check that out, maybe Wed. Doesn't seem too far from me.

FZRguy
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 10:58 PM
If you ride Green Mtn Trail, ride it counter clockwise.

BC14
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the info on Green mtn. I'll probably check it out sometime this week...Friday is looking good for it so far, or Thursday.

FZRguy
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Here's the info on the fast, smooth trail (actually not near Kermitts).

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-colorado/front-range/trail/PRD_367452_5844crx.aspx

FZRguy
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
So the Mt Evans ride is on for Sunday. Planning on leaving Lakewood at 10 and Echo Lake at 11. If you go, bring plenty of warm clothes! Pic is two miles from the summit a couple years ago. You can see the drifts on the road that we have to deal with. The reward is Tommy Knockers after!

PsychoMike
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 09:25 PM
just got back from a great ride

FZRguy
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 06:48 PM
So we made it to the summit on Sunday. The road was clear and dry…..but the wind nearly blew us off the mountain, and cold!!!!

bodhizafa
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
So the Mt Evans ride is on for Sunday. Planning on leaving Lakewood at 10 and Echo Lake at 11. If you go, bring plenty of warm clothes! Pic is two miles from the summit a couple years ago. You can see the drifts on the road that we have to deal with. The reward is Tommy Knockers after!

Damn that looks cold!

eg bter
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Ended up going for a ride around 6 yesterday evening...turned into a night ride rather quickly...I definitely need to invest in a brighter light.

BC14
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I can see that happening for sure. Don't do much riding at night myself, at least on a mountain bike.

DucWise
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Here's the info on the fast, smooth trail (actually not near Kermitts).

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-colorado/front-range/trail/PRD_367452_5844crx.aspx

I rode this (Centennial Cone) a couple weeks back. Nice trail... good burn. Definitely not one to do in the summer... very exposed... and it has an alternating ride/hike day schedule on weekends. Be sure you look that up before you go.

Other fast smooth trails to look into would be the CO Trail to Green Mt. Loop out in the Buffalo Creek area (not the Green MT in Lakewood!). 10x more scenic, smoother, and faster than Centennial Cone (above) imho. Park at/near the Little Scraggy TH.

Maybe also look into Ringtail to Swallowtail trails out off of the Indian Creek TH (north end of Rampart Range Rd). Smooth, fast, super long downhill and a good climb back out ;)

And if you want REAL fast and smooth check out the East-West trail in Highlands Ranch area (Douglas County). No technical tuff just churn and burn. They've extend this trail over the past year or so and you can really get some miles in on it.

And there's always Evergreen Mt, 3-Sisters, etc... Colorado is your oyster for Mt biking :)
Hit me up for any info or if you need someone to ride with.

FZRguy
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM
We are riding Buffalo Creek on Sunday. Meeting at Pine Jct at 11 if anyone wants to join us.

bodhizafa
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Wish I could. Sunday is the 2 year aniv. for me and the girlfriend. Spending the day doing "together stuff"

DucWise
Fri Oct 15th, 2010, 08:46 AM
We are riding Buffalo Creek on Sunday. Meeting at Pine Jct at 11 if anyone wants to join us.

I may actually be out there a bit earlier in the morning... but I'll keep an eye out for an fzr on the trails :bigeyes:

Thinking about checling out the Chair Rocks/ CO Trail or the Buck Gulch loops from Pine Valley.

:up:

FZRguy
Fri Oct 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM
There will be three of us. I ride a silver Spec FSR.

DucWise
Sat Oct 16th, 2010, 12:54 PM
There should be 2-3 of us too... I'll be on a burnt orange Santa Cruz should our paths cross :)

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Oct 16th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I need to get back into riding. It's been too long. I'm way out of shape so steep climbs will probably kill me. I'd prefer a long, ~3-5 mile climb and a steep technical downhill for a mile or two... rinse and repeat. Any suggestions?

DucWise
Sat Oct 16th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I need to get back into riding. It's been too long. I'm way out of shape so steep climbs will probably kill me. I'd prefer a long, ~3-5 mile climb and a steep technical downhill for a mile or two... rinse and repeat. Any suggestions?

Mt. Falcon maybe? ~3miles of nothing but up then come back down it. If you want to "get in shape" that one will do it :devil1:
http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R16.htm

If that's too much then maybe look at Bear Creek trail. From Lair o the Bear park to Pence park is a nice ~6-7 mile climb (mostly) then turn around and bomb that puppy :cheers:
http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R11.htm

Good luck!

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Oct 16th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Mt. Falcon maybe? ~3miles of nothing but up then come back down it. If you want to "get in shape" that one will do it :devil1:
http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R16.htm

If that's too much then maybe look at Bear Creek trail. From Lair o the Bear park to Pence park is a nice ~6-7 mile climb (mostly) then turn around and bomb that puppy :cheers:
http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R11.htm

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips!

For Mt. Falcon, Castle trail or Parmalee trail?

Edit: I also need a good servicing for my Santa Cruz Bullit; Specifically my Hayes disc brakes and Marzocchi forks... I can handle the other stuff.

FZRguy
Sat Oct 16th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I need to have my shock serviced over the winter. I'll prob have Mojo Wheels do it. They made me a screamin' deal on my FSR and the guys there are hard core MTB/DH riders.

DucWise
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the tips!
For Mt. Falcon, Castle trail or Parmalee trail?

Castle trail is the one I was thinking of. GOOD workout! Parmalee is nice too though. Do both end to end to double your pleasure. Throw in Devil's Elbow too to complete your day :D

Have fun! :twisted:

FZRguy
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I see why BC is so popular now. We spent four hours riding some awesome, smooth, fast trails! It’d take a whole season of Sundays to explore them all.

FZRguy
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM
We rode Centennial Cone on Sunday. You gotta check it out, very cool trails there….and it’s close. 3 Sisters is up for next Sunday.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 08:42 AM
The Betasso Preserve up above boulder is a fairly easy w/ some technical areas - 3 mile loop, nice DH section and then a nice climb. Went and did it last friday w/ some buddies.

eg bter
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I like Batasso, though I feel I must do the loop 3 times to make it worth while.

bodhizafa
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Betasso is a fun, fast workout. Some of the hikers get pretty annoyed though.

asp_125
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I picked up a set of Deore XT shift/brake levers at Veloswap over the weekend. Anyone know how to take them apart? I opened up the bottom plate on my current Deore LX shifters and can't see an obvious way to undo the shift cable.

brennahm
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I did it once. Pics?

asp_125
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I did it once. Pics?

The exploded view doesn't tell me much, it looks like it kind of attaches from the top. http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/ST/EV-ST-M750-1785B_v1_m56577569830728633.pdf

bodhizafa
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Veloswap was crazy. Never been to it before, didn't realize how big it was. Picked up a sweet cyclocross bike cheap :).

asp_125
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Veloswap is always a madhouse. Scored some cheap sox. We rode there and parked close, :up: beats looking for a spot in the parking lot. Drooled over some nice carbon fiber hawtness frames.

bodhizafa
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM
There were some really crazy deals.....I'll be more prepared for next years swap.

FZRguy
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 06:33 PM
You should not need to take the shifter apart to replace the cable.

brennahm
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to remove the cable completely from the bike. ie, thread the cable out through the shifter. There should be an "end" on the cable that will push out of the shifter.