PDA

View Full Version : Oh dirt.. why do you look like so much fun?

Survivalism
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I watch videos of people riding dirt and just get so jealous, i have always wanted a dirt bike but decided to get a street bike as my first bike and just wound up buying the f4i when a found a decent deal. Im really getting the itch to sell/trade the f4i away for a drz400 enduro hopefully with a set of sumo wheels, can tear up the dirt or the street.

One of the reasons i got the f4i was the highway stability and i had planned on doing some decently long trips but have never gotten around to doing anything i couldnt have done on a drz i think.

Will the drz be compareable to the f4i in any way at all? I know the drz gets great gas mileage, has a small stock tank, but im assuming it also has really cheap insurance.

Also what kind of gear do you guys wear when riding on the street to dirt, textile / leather / hybrid or what? I am clueless lol.

Any info about dirtbikes, gear, riding dirt or riding sumo would be appreciated.

tecknojoe
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM
That DRZ will feel a lot different. It'll be a lot less stable at highway speeds. The cornering/handling will feel different. My WR costs $20 a month for full coverage, and I'm a 24 year old single male. I wear regular bike gear on the WR since I don't have any sumo gear, but I DO want a sumo helmet since I don't want to trash my arai if I fack up in the dirt. A lot of guys also wear full MX gear if they do sumo track days (I'm assuming they have them in CO just like they do here in WV). You will definitely feel a lack of power switching to a sumo though. Unless you get something with a beefy engine. Going from my R6 to the WR250 is obviously a huge stretch. But it's refreshing to ride the R6 for a few weeks, then jump no the WR for a completely different type of ride

Aracheon
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Insurance on the DR-Z is SUPER cheap. I pay less than $10/mo for full coverage for my '09 S.

Devaclis
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 01:36 PM
The DRZ is nothing like the F4i in any way other than they are both motorcycles.

The DRZ, with road tires is stable at highway speeds, but it is not fast.

The DRZ it tall and top heavy and I hate crashing ONLY because I hate picking the damned thing back up.

The DRZ is cheaper to buy and insure

The DRZ is not a canyon carver (by design)

The DRZ can take you anywhere on and off road you want to go and carry all of your gear with it.

The DRZ is a more forgiving bike. It handles gravel on the streets better. It will take bumps, holes, ditches, stairs, old ladies MUCH better than a sportbike.

The DRZ has a shorter range. I get about 80 miles out of a tank.

The DRZ is more fun

THe DRZ is more versatile

The DRZ is more likely to get you ticketed for trespassing, riding on sidewalks, riding in school yards, going up and down stairs, wheelies, stopies, roosting, and general hooliganism.

The DRZ will also score you TONS of chics.

But it. I dare ya.

Aracheon
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 01:43 PM
The DRZ is nothing like the F4i in any way other than they are both motorcycles.

The DRZ, with road tires is stable at highway speeds, but it is not fast.

The DRZ it tall and top heavy and I hate crashing ONLY because I hate picking the damned thing back up.

The DRZ is cheaper to buy and insure

The DRZ is not a canyon carver (by design)

The DRZ can take you anywhere on and off road you want to go and carry all of your gear with it.

The DRZ is a more forgiving bike. It handles gravel on the streets better. It will take bumps, holes, ditches, stairs, old ladies MUCH better than a sportbike.

The DRZ has a shorter range. I get about 80 miles out of a tank.

The DRZ is more fun

THe DRZ is more versatile

The DRZ is more likely to get you ticketed for trespassing, riding on sidewalks, riding in school yards, going up and down stairs, wheelies, stopies, roosting, and general hooliganism.

The DRZ will also score you TONS of chics.

But it. I dare ya.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MetaLord 9
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 01:52 PM
You might score a one ton chick, but I dunno about smaller denominations...

DorJammer
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I ride both

for the street an Aprilia RST1000
Huge power, tons of passing torque, top end some where above 135 (I have never found it), Shiny, Loud, Awesome.. I own the rode when I am on it

For the Dirt, a KDX200
Nimble, light, "flickable", with the FMF Gnarly pipe and the Boysen reeds, tons of low end umph, it's GREEN, dirty, blows oil out its a$$ and I get a huge rush riding up the hills at rampart with it

but riding dirt is a MUCH more intimate experiance then riding the road. On the road its cagers and defensive driving, and apex placement.

In dirt, well I remmeber once my inner child screaming TREE TREE look out for the TREE, and my other voice going FU@K it its a small tree!

I love both, but dirt gives ya stories, and scabs, and the occasional bruise. You will experiance more adrenilin in 10 miles of dirt then a whole day of roads

Zach929rr
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Sumo is the best of everything. I can highway to the canyons, keep up with bigger bikes anywhere besides the long sweepers and straights, go ride Rampart, go downtown and do some urban/hooligan shit, and ride it back home on 1 tank of gas, all in the same day.

Sean
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:16 PM
You need a 09 KLR650. I'll sell one to you. :up:

Bueller
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:17 PM
You will experiance more adrenilin in 10 miles of dirt then a whole day of roads

No shit!

Survivalism
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Lol thanks for all the input guys, a drz with a good sumo setup replaces the tires, rims, front disk and master cylinder right?

When riding dirt alone how do you make sure you dont run out of gas lol? I know you can buy bigger tanks for the drz but i wouldnt know where any of the dirt roads go or where any gas stations would be. Are their websites that have info for this or anything?

EDIT: Lol shiny, the infamous klr can stay with its loving owner :D

Zach929rr
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM
There's .5gal container kits and small cans you can mount on a rack. Drz sumo has all the street goodies on it. Probably wouldn't hurt to get some case savers and a SS front brake line.

Survivalism
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM
There's .5gal container kits and small cans you can mount on a rack. Drz sumo has all the street goodies on it. Probably wouldn't hurt to get some case savers and a SS front brake line.

Would you recommend buying the drz sumo or buying a plated drz dirt / enduro and putting a sumo setup on it? Would it make any noticeable difference?

Can you put street/dirt tires on sumo rims and ride that in the dirt? I know some of you crazy people ride your pure street tires on dirt but i would like some traction at the beginning lol :D

dirkterrell
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM
When riding dirt alone how do you make sure you dont run out of gas lol?

I have one of these:

https://tciproductsusa.com/thumb.php?src=images/fuel%20containers%20web%20a1.jpg&wmax=576&hmax=432&quality=90&bgcol=FF0000

mounted thusly on the XR:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/2010aug13/100_0129b.jpg

(That's Sean looking up the answer to "Should Pennsylvania Gulch be attempted with heavy dual sport bikes?" and the answer was "Only if you're insane.")

Dirk

Aracheon
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM
^^^

:lol:

Sean
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM
(That's Sean looking up the answer to "Should Pennsylvania Gulch be attempted with heavy dual sport bikes?" and the answer was "Hold mah beer and watch this!")Fixed

^^^

:lol:I wouldn't laugh to hard. We almost took you up something harder :D

TFOGGuys
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Would you recommend buying the drz sumo or buying a plated drz dirt / enduro and putting a sumo setup on it? Would it make any noticeable difference?

Can you put street/dirt tires on sumo rims and ride that in the dirt? I know some of you crazy people ride your pure street tires on dirt but i would like some traction at the beginning lol :D

The ideal setup would be a DRZ-E model that someone else has gone through the process of plating, then add sumo wheel and front brake setup. The off road bikes have a different carb that offers vastly better throttle response and power than the street bikes. I can get some pretty attractive deals on sumo wheels and brake setups, PM me if you're interested.

Aracheon
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Fixed

I wouldn't laugh to hard. We almost took you up something harder :D

And I learned quickly that gravity is a law that must be obeyed. :D

Bueller
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 02:55 PM
DRZ's :roll::lol:

Survivalism
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
DRZ's :roll::lol:

Dont give me that look lol

I would consider something else but i really dont know much about dirt bikes or their sumo counter parts. The drz is just super popular, i would consider a ktm but they seem to have a "premium" if you will and i was hoping all the parts for a drz would be cheap to replace.

Any other models i should be looking at? Really considering throwing the f4i up.. i want to play in the dirt!

Sean
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:11 PM
There was a guy on here sellinp a really nice Aprilia sumo for a really nice price. Chances are that the post got deleted from the system going down. I don't know if it sold or not. I don't think he's on here much, might be worth shooting him a pm. :dunno:

btw: KLR's kis ass and anybody who doesn't ride them is a complete loser with no taste in motorcycles/life. Just my .02

Survivalism
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
There was a guy on here sellinp a really nice Aprilia sumo for a really nice price. Chances are that the post got deleted from the system going down. I don't know if it sold or not. I don't think he's on here much, might be worth shooting him a pm. :dunno:

btw: KLR's kis ass and anybody who doesn't ride them is a complete loser with no taste in motorcycles/life. Just my .02

I wont come between you and your KLR, they definitely have their uses. Just wouldnt work for me :D

Looks like the drz 400 e has a seat height of 37.2 inches.. how the hell..?

asp_125
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Or you could buy my BMW F650 and ride dirt like an old man, have heated grips and pull out a jar of grey poupon at stops.

..... or you could buy a DRZ and have fun.

TFOGGuys
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM
My WR250F has an unladen seat height of just under 40 inches, and I have a 32 inch inseam... you learn to be creative about getting your feet down :lol:

Aracheon
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I wont come between you and your KLR, they definitely have their uses. Just wouldnt work for me :D

They're tall bikes. I have a 34" inseam and I tip-toe mine.

Joe
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Don't worry about Sumo unless you're going to race (and even then there are guys with knobbies who will make you feel like a loser).
You won't have a problem with knobbies in the canyons, they look more "adventurous" and they are cheaper and easier to spoon on yourself.

Here's my current Gas/Luggage setup.
It doesn't hold a Dirty Thirty of Busch Light as well as my milkcrate, but it looks a bit nicer. I run these dirt wheels in the winter, and sumo in the summer for racing.

Between my DRZ and my streetbike, I'm a HELLUVA lot more comfy on my DRZ because its a lot cheaper to wreck. My streetbike was bought so my wife would ride with me again, otherwise I'd probably just have a DRZ.

Survivalism
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Hmm im gonna have to try and find one somewhere at a dealership to see if i could get on it enough to ride it lol. Im assuming since they are so light its not a problem just having one foot down at a stop light or stuff like that right?

bodhizafa
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:47 PM
My WR250F has an unladen seat height of just under 40 inches, and I have a 32 inch inseam... you learn to be creative about getting your feet down :lol:

I hear ya........I can barely tippy toe my F800

bodhizafa
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hmm im gonna have to try and find one somewhere at a dealership to see if i could get on it enough to ride it lol. Im assuming since they are so light its not a problem just having one foot down at a stop light or stuff like that right?

Just do the captain morgan stance at a stop ;)

Joe
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hmm im gonna have to try and find one somewhere at a dealership

Or if you live anywhere near East Aurora, just come over.
PM me, or let us know what city you're in and someone will post up if they're close.

Coolest thing about a DRZ is you can't hurt it, so most aren't scared to let you ride one.
(I guess you COULD steal it, though, and that would make me sad)

Survivalism
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Or if you live anywhere near East Aurora, just come over.
PM me, or let us know what city you're in and someone will post up if they're close.

Coolest thing about a DRZ is you can't hurt it.
(I guess you COULD steal it, though, and that would make me sad)

Lol SE aurora eh? That is exactly where im at actually.. that would be pretty awesome if you would be willing to let me check it out.

Joe
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:53 PM
PM'd
My sis is borrowing it right now, should have it back by the weekend.

Survivalism
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 03:57 PM
PM'd
My sis is borrowing it right now, should have it back by the weekend.

Thanks a ton man!

So the only difference in a sumo and enduro setup is tire grip and breaking ability right? 50/50 dirt / street tires on an enduro would still be good for riding the street / canyons / maybe some hooligan stuff but still get enough grip in the dirt?

Matty
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Check out the WR250R or X model. Not as quick off the line as the DRZ. But can still hang. At IMI I was quicker in the turns on my WRR than the DRZ but lacked the exit speed. However, in the dirt it's a much more capable bike than the DRZ.

I have the R model which is the dirt setup but I bought a 17s for more street riding. Which makes the bike 2 in one.

Aracheon
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Check out the WR250R or X model. Not as quick off the line as the DRZ. But can still hang. At IMI I was quicker in the turns on my WRR than the DRZ but lacked the exit speed. However, in the dirt it's a much more capable bike than the DRZ.

Which isn't to say that the DRZ is a bad bike in the dirt, because it certainly isn't. What makes the WR more capable is the fact that it's lighter. The DRZ "S" model is over 300lbs fully fueled, and you feel it. ( Especially if you have to pick it up... :lol: )

Matty
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:10 PM
WRR = 60/40 Dirt.
DRZ E/S = 60/40 Street.

FZRguy
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM
The ideal setup would be a DRZ-E model that someone else has gone through the process of plating, then add sumo wheel and front brake setup. The off road bikes have a different carb that offers vastly better throttle response and power than the street bikes. I can get some pretty attractive deals on sumo wheels and brake setups, PM me if you're interested.

You mean like this....:D Nine months and $5K later.

Sarge
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 12:37 AM
You need a 09 KLR650. I'll sell one to you. :up:

How much?

tecknojoe
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 06:35 AM
Thanks a ton man!

So the only difference in a sumo and enduro setup is tire grip and breaking ability right? 50/50 dirt / street tires on an enduro would still be good for riding the street / canyons / maybe some hooligan stuff but still get enough grip in the dirt?

I've got a WR250x. If you want to check it out, I'd be happy to meet up so you can ride it around sometime. I'll be living in highlands ranch starting October 20th (and I commute to Aurora so I could meetup on the way home from work, if I ride in). Sumo is definitely one of the coolest things I've gotten into lately. I don't get much of a chance to go offroad with the WR, but when I do I have a blast. and I'm still on the battleaxe street tires that came with it.

If you really fall in love with it, I'd be willing to sell it too. I could use the money since moving across the country is expensive as shit :no:

I have the R model which is the dirt setup but I bought a 17s for more street riding. Which makes the bike 2 in one.

I carve my WR in the twistys here in VA with all the other guys. have an absolute blast and I don't really get left behind too much. but man it's a blast when u pwn some newb on a 600 through a corner on ur "little dirtbike" :lol:

Survivalism
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Just got back from Joe's place, he was nice enough to let me take his drz for a little spin and stand their and answer my numerous questions for about an hour.

Cant thank you enough for your hospitality Joe, hope to see you around!

That being said.. damn do i want a drz, what a fun bike.

Bueller
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
WRR = 60/40 Dirt.
DRZ E/S = 60/40 Street.

KTM EXC 100% Bad Ass!;)

Not hard to believe you had fun on it, way more fun in the dirt :yes:

Survivalism
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
KTM EXC 100% Bad Ass!;)

Not hard to believe you had fun on it, way more fun in the dirt :yes:

Lol i know its too bad i was not able to get a taste of dirt, i was pretty damn surprised i was able to get up on it and have both of my toes on the ground though, i thought for sure i was gonna have to one foot it lol.

What a hard decision, it just seems to make more sense to me to go ahead and get an enduro of some type. Cheaper insurance, better on gas, cheaper to fix, cheap maintenance parts, simple design, capable enough on the street to ride the canyons while still being able to tear up some dirt..

What am i waiting for..? lol

Bueller
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Just remember that your list of qualifications means your bike will be capable of those requirements but not particularly good at any of them.

Zach929rr
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM
All you KTM people ever do is hurt yourself in the dirt :p

Between you and Diego....

Bueller
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
If that were true, it would be because we are in the dirt and not riding dirt roads all day. :slap:

D Berns R6
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM

I have a 30" inseam and I can barely tip toe on my yz450F that is lowered 2 inches

Survivalism
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah on Joe's drz today i was on my tippy toes after i sat down on it, if i had it sprung for my weight i would probably have to use 1 foot.

So Bueller are you saying that you can ride a drz on a really hard dirt trail but it would be easier to do with a more dirt oriented dirt bike?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
No shit!
Ummmm, I'll have to disagree with that. I've had some great dirt rides, but nothing like the street rides I've done, especially this summer.

Bueller
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
You can ride one on almost any trail (not Supermoto), it is just not the best trail bike, it is heavy, has marginal suspension, and an underpowered engine.
I believe in buying the bike that is perfect for your main use and then modify/compromise as needed for secondary uses. If you want a reliable utility bike the DrZ is a great choice but I am way more interested in riding trails so although my bikes are plated I don't take any pleasure in riding up to the trails, I trailer my bke where k want to ride. Now when I have the sumo wheels on the 525 I will take it to the canyons and in the tight stuff I have little difficulty hanging with sportbikes.

Bueller
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Ummmm, I'll have to disagree with that. I've had some great dirt rides, but nothing like the street rides I've done, especially this summer.

That only means you ride crap trails. If I had to choose between trails and street, there would be no hesitation. Any monkey can ride a street bike.

Survivalism
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Definitely makes alot of sense, if i just had a truck i would pick up a 2 stroke 250 and call it a day but alas i have to be able to ride to the dirt. If i do switch i think ill try and get something more trail oriented since thats the idea behind the switch.

Is their anywhere you can go to rent a dirt bike for a reasonable price? I cant justify selling my f4i to buy a completely different setup if i dont know for sure im going to like riding trails more.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
That only means you ride crap trails. If I had to choose between trails and street, there would be no hesitation. Any monkey can ride a street bike.
Mmmm, I did some really technical trails a few years agi near Buena Vista (I can find out where if interested). My buddies thought they were awesome, but I really don't like the really tight stuff like that. I have a '91 KX500 set up for running desert (lived in the SoCal desert not too far from Barstow), and that bike was NOT the thing to have riding those trails......in the cold rain....almost at treeline....jetted for Cleveland at 200ft above sea level. I got so tired of keeping the thing running and kick-starting the beast. We went up and down really steep, scary, rutted, boulder-lined trails, and, honestly, I'm surprised I didn't biff it except when I just stepped off it once when I was just too damn tired to save it again when I hit a big wet tree root. We did some stream crossings of probably 2' deep as well. I had much more fun the next day running flat out on the fire roads and up some steep double track at speed. THAT'S what that bike was meant for. I LOVED riding it in the desert when I lived out there. Trails in almost every direction as far as you could see. I think Moab would be a great place for it once I rejet it. Got the 5-gal tank and skidplates already.

Any monkey can ride a dirtbike as well.;) I prefer the streetbike because there's no way you could do 1,800 miles in 4 days on a dirtbike, thru the scenery and twisties I went thru. And if you don't think the roads I found weren't a total adrenalin rush.....well.......you didn't look at the pictures hard enough......

FZRguy
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:28 AM
I don’t know of any dirt rentals. I have a 30” inseam and both my YZ and DRZ have been lowered ‘bout 2 inches, and I shaved the seat foam another inch. Made one giant diff in my dirt riding and the sumo handles better with a lower COG.

Bueller
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Any monkey can ride a dirtbike as well.;) I prefer the streetbike because there's no way you could do 1,800 miles in 4 days on a dirtbike, thru the scenery and twisties I went thru. And if you don't think the roads I found weren't a total adrenalin rush.....well.......you didn't look at the pictures hard enough......

I didn't look at the pictures at all as touring has no real interest for me :yawn: We are talking adrenaline rush not no-doz.

I am sorry for you that your trail riding experience in CO has been one poor weather day on a poorly tuned bike that has no business being on anything except a dessert or MX track without moderate modifications. I would say your friends were total assholes to take you there for your first ride. There is a ton of easy shit up there.

Sorry dude coming in here with that argument is like trying to argue water isn't wet, you're just bored and looking for a debate.

Bueller
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:55 AM
Here ya go

http://www.vimeo.com/15502444

Survivalism
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Here ya go

http://www.vimeo.com/15502444

I think i have watched almost all of your dirt / trail videos, they are probably one of the main things to get me excited lol.

Decided what im going to do as well.. going to hold out for a couple months and save up and just pick up an enduro when a deal comes along, if i love dirt more then street ill sell my f4i, if i love street more then dirt ill sell the enduro, and if i love both equally then ill have to scrape along being happy but broke.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
I didn't look at the pictures at all as touring has no real interest for me :yawn: We are talking adrenaline rush not no-doz.

I am sorry for you that your trail riding experience in CO has been one poor weather day on a poorly tuned bike that has no business being on anything except a dessert or MX track without moderate modifications. I would say your friends were total assholes to take you there for your first ride. There is a ton of easy shit up there.

Sorry dude coming in here with that argument is like trying to argue water isn't wet, you're just bored and looking for a debate.
It was my fault for going, but I still had a lot of fun and don't regret it at all. the thing that sucked was it rained in the area all day Fri as I was driving there and all Sat as we rode, and it was just slippery and muddy and just nasty. As tough as it was, the way the bike was stalling, and not having ridden in years I was pretty pleased to not crash. I should have had it rejetted, but it was a last-minute deal and I didn't have time. I need to find some more open trails to my liking. The bike still did pretty well though as it's got tons of power, even jetted wrong. Probably better it WASN'T at full strength in those conditions.;) I'd be up for some trails with a group of y'all. I'd have to trailer it though.

Ah, these were special roads. No "no-doz" here. I'd say they were the equal or better than any of the twisties I've ridden here. we'll have to agree to disagree. ;)