PDA

View Full Version : Fork seal Replacement

highpsi03
Thu Sep 30th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I've done the fork seals on my older r6 before, and it wasn't to difficult, i just don't have the desire to do it again and mess with it. I've already removed the forks and notice the right fork is slightly tweaked, not bad, but enough i guess i should replace it. So after i get the new one, what is the going rate for a fork seal replacement? I'm bringing the seals and the oil, forks off the bike.

DucWise
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 06:55 AM
Since no one else has piped up... take it to Jim at http://www.tfogracing.com/

I've had him do several forks of mine when I didin't want to mess with it :p Great work and best prices in town for forks on and off the bike.

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 07:42 AM
Usually around $100 from what I recall, but it may be less with your equipment in hand. I do my own and borrow the tools from an incredibly generous shop. Once you get the fork off the bike, it should only take about 20 mins or less of actually working on the fork. If you do decide to do it yourself, just remember to loosen the cap while the fork is still on the bike. Otherwise it's gonna be a PITA to get it done & ya might screw up your fork.

highpsi03
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 01:36 PM
ya the going rate is 100$ off the bike, for that price I'll just do it on my own, thanks!

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
^^The catch is that the tools are a hundred each

vmax2003
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM
I did that to my vmax and took the forks off and took them to GP, I had the seals and they charged me $180 w/the price of fork oil..

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM
when you consider seals are less than $20, Oil is about $20 (or less) and doing it is easy, it really makes you wanna buy the three tools you need (providing you already have a front stand that lifts the frame & not the forks). I'd even be up for going in on a catridge puller & spring compressor. If someone's got the same size forks as I do, I'd think about a seal driver too

highpsi03
Fri Oct 1st, 2010, 04:48 PM
^^The catch is that the tools are a hundred each
I used a 2$ pvc pipe last time i did it.. I just can't see paying some 100$ to do it off the bike. It takes less than 30mins with experience.

highpsi03
Sat Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
Got em done today by myself. New seals, some oil and we are good to go now. Pushed out the old seals and used the old seals to push in the new ones. No leaks and it was far less than the 100$ i was quoted.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Damn fork seals!!! Kim blew one on her WR this last weekend. I'm taking it apart right now. Yeayyyyyy!!!!

Actually, that seal started leaking about two years ago. I bought all the parts and decided to try a trick I heard of first. I slid a feeler gauge in there and it stopped. Got two more years out of it...

MetaLord 9
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I used a 2$ pvc pipe last time i did it.. I just can't see paying some 100$ to do it off the bike. It takes less than 30mins with experience.
I got the oil gauge pretty cheap and I don't really need a seal driver so much (it's nice to have tho I suppose), but the tool that I really need and can't afford is the spring compressor. I used a 2x4 last night and it was a bit of struggle for Lindsey and I to get it done. Those inverted forks really need some kind of compressor. The non-inverted/standard forks from my two hurricanes were easy as hell comparatively. Like I said, actually doing it takes almost no time if you know what you're doing, but it really helps to have the damn tools!

sloridr
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I just had the fork seals and oil changed on the Sumo. It was funny left beer and tools and two people in my garage.... Went to the Dr. and came home. They were all done and back on the bike! Couldn't ask for more.:up:

SupermotoMJ
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 11:37 AM
GD fork seals.. My right fork seals leaks every two years.

highpsi03
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I got the oil gauge pretty cheap and I don't really need a seal driver so much (it's nice to have tho I suppose), but the tool that I really need and can't afford is the spring compressor. I used a 2x4 last night and it was a bit of struggle for Lindsey and I to get it done. Those inverted forks really need some kind of compressor. The non-inverted/standard forks from my two hurricanes were easy as hell comparatively. Like I said, actually doing it takes almost no time if you know what you're doing, but it really helps to have the damn tools!
I didn't even both to take the forks apart when i did the seals. So far no leaks.

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Do you have inverted forks? If so, how'd you get the new seal on without pulling the tubes apart?

dragos13
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Do you have inverted forks? If so, how'd you get the new seal on without pulling the tubes apart?

I was thinking the same thing...

rybo
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Either way, how did you get the old seal OUT without pulling the tubes apart? I've put a lot of fork seals in and have never successfully gotten the old seal out without separating the tubes. I've also never been able to thoroughly drain all the old oil and clean everything up before re-installing unless I completely disassembled the fork.

Maybe that's why I ask too much for the service....I actually do the whole service.

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I could see getting the old seal loose, sliding it down, and then cutting it off to remove it, but again, how would you insert the new seal? Even if you didn't separate the tubes, you'd still have to disassemble the fork if you inserted the seal from the top and pushed it through that way. Maybe not all bottom fork tubes are permanently attached to the part that holds the axle & front brake?

Zach929rr
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM
This thread proves that highpsi is either a) a magician or b) a downy.

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Shit, if I were a magician, do you know fast I'd be able to work on my bike? Damn...

highpsi03
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I removed the dust seal, removed the retaining clips, filled the forks full with oil. From here I left the socket on the top nut and placed it under the car lift at work. we slowly lowered the lift onto the fork compressing it slightly, the oil pops the seal out. drain the oil and install the new seal. Ive done it twice now with good results.

highpsi03
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I should add I installed the new seals using the old ones as a driver. the bike is a 01 r6 so no inverted forks.

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
the bike is a 01 r6 so no inverted forks.
there's the magic. Ok, I was wonder'n pretty good for a while...

highpsi03
Tue Oct 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM
there's the magic. Ok, I was wonder'n pretty good for a while...
Ya, inverted forks wouldn't work for the method i described.