PDA

View Full Version : Looking for satellite/cable/internet advice

Cars-R-Coffins
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Looking for basic channels and HD option. Not sure if I should go satellite or cable. I also need internet service also- DSL at minimum. I'd like to keep It on the cheap. Any recommendations?

Motodrew
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
^ ditto

rforsythe
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
Comcast is more all in one, but the customer service flat out sucks (god help you if you ever have a problem). We've been very happy with the Qwest thing (DSL, DirecTV).

50sGrl
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
We've had DirecTV for years and love it, but had to switch from Qwest to Comcast for internet because Qwest was so incredibly slow with occasional complete loss of service. Fortunately, we haven't had any problems with Comcast so have no opinion on their customer service yet.

Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
if you want BASIC tv service, just buy a cheap internet package from comcast, then after the installer leaves make sure that all your rooms are hooked up at your demark (they unhooked all the plates in my house except the one plugged into the modem) - then just use the tv's built in tuner cards and the house's original wiring. works great for me and i get all the locals plus basic (discovery, tbs, a zillion spanish options) in both analog and HD. the internet service beats the crap out of qwest dsl, and both will end up costing you about 40-50 a month after introductory rates wear off.

highpsi03
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
I've had so many issues with comcast, they say it's my area, but that doesn't make sense since i live in a newer subdivision. Between internet that drops alot, and the fact that my tv doesn't get half the channels sometimes, i've had about enough. I'd do for dish or direct TV but i hate satelitte dishes.

highpsi03
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
if you want BASIC tv service, just buy a cheap internet package from comcast, then after the installer leaves make sure that all your rooms are hooked up at your demark (they unhooked all the plates in my house except the one plugged into the modem) - then just use the tv's built in tuner cards and the house's original wiring. works great for me and i get all the locals plus basic (discovery, tbs, a zillion spanish options) in both analog and HD. the internet service beats the crap out of qwest dsl, and both will end up costing you about 40-50 a month after introductory rates wear off.
I used to do this, but they've changed the service over here and you have to use the small black boxes now.

rforsythe
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
You could also just get an HD antenna for your house and aim it at Lookout Mountain. All the local basics for free.

willb003
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM

This. I have had comcast internet only at both houses and its been pretty good, speeds are awesome and never goes down.

chad23
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
i love my comcast.....

by the way i work for them

CoRR
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
+ 1 on the Qwest we have had it for years in Canon City.
I also use Direct TV in the Camper. Never a problem.

GreenGobblin
Sun Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
I have comcast HD TV and High speed internet. It works great, but your best bet is to go to one of the offices rather than the phone (they are dicks and suck at service) at the office they are chill and get stuff done fast.

Squisha
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I agree with this statement about going to an office. I had a similar experience, though in my case I called a general line, was unsatisfied, then called an office, intending to find out where they were so I could go in. The guy helped me right there on the phone, offering me a whole bunch of options that the douche on the general line said I couldn't have. Took care of my problem and then some.

I've been a comcast customer for a very long time. I don't have a strong opinion (except as mentioned above) about customer service, but their internet speeds are much faster compared to qwest.

MetaLord 9
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Comcast can go fuck itself with a rusty iron pipe. Their customer service was so bad, I went from being a loyal customer to being completely anti-comcast. Their customer service was abysmal. They seemed to have no interest in the individual customer.

Contrast that with DirecTV who basically asks me if there are any extra chores around the house that they can do. Best customer service with them. Even if I wait, they're very appologetic and always interested in getting me the best deal. I feel taken care of there and there service is great to boot. Awesome looking HD service too. I've had the weather be a factor with my DirecTV maybe twice or three times in the past year.

Qwest for internet is pretty affordable compared to Comcast's offering, but their internet is a bit spotty at times, tho not often.

Pharmgirl
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
We've had Directv for 5 years and I have nothing bad to really say about them. We recently upgraded to HD and it is fantastic! We have Qwest internet but are unable to get the HD internet where I live, so it's ok. It still seems to work ok for online Halo and Call of Duty.

rforsythe
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Qwest for internet is pretty affordable compared to Comcast's offering, but their internet is a bit spotty at times, tho not often.

It's been solid for me. The one time I had issues, I called up and had a guy out the next day. He showed up on time, told me he had already been at the central office for two hours fixing my service, and that basically a recent upgrade to new CO equipment was interfering with my line. He moved me to the new equipment, upgraded my service to 7meg at no charge just because he could, and when my modem wouldn't deal with that he gave me a new one.

Compare to comcrap, which had been getting progressively worse to the point that the TV looked like ass, and the Internet was down so much I couldn't use it. The tech finally showed up 4 days later, late, and *would* not fix the problem (not couldn't, I showed the guy the issue where his spliced line was exposed off my property and getting soaked in snow and rain, ergo shitty signal) and then tried to charge us $80 for the service call after providing zero resolution and being a lazy fuck . I'll get satellite Internet before I use their shit company again.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 08:08 AM
As you can see there are going to be a million different responses out here. I recommend trying to get a deal without a contract so you an see what you like and what works in your area. Also talk to your neighbors. Just remember that if you complain enough they will let you out of a contract if you have to sign one. Worst case keep calling 3-4 times a day and complain about everything. Take as much time as you can from every person you talk to. Eventaully you will cost them more money than they will make off you and let you out of the contract. That is of course if it is really bad.

DevilsTonic
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I was a big supporter of Comcast for many years. I worked for them for 5 years, but as soon as I switched jobs the good customer service ended. They treat their employees like gold, and their customers like crap. So after 8+ years of having all of my services with them I switched from Comcast to DirecTV. Signal, picture quality and sound quality was crap with Comcast and they were charging me for services I didn't have. I was paying $265/month for Internet + 1 HD receiver + 1 digital receiver + 1 Movie Channel with Comcast. I fought with them for 3 weeks about their service and the price and finally gave up. I still have my internet with them, but I've never had an issue with my internet connection via Comcast. If Qwest had fiber in my area I would probably switch, just so I wasn't giving any more money to comcast.

DirecTV I am paying $70/month for 2 HD receivers, All-home DVR, 3 movie channels. There are no issues with the picture quality either, in fact the picture and sound quality is perfect.

salsashark
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 11:53 AM
1. get internet
2. googleTV
3. profit? no wait... errr....

Anyways, I was going to recommend dish because I get grate rates, never had a problem w/ signal loss, blah blah blah but then they killed FX last week and I'm pissed. I don't need 80 spanish/religious/home shopping channels combined with 300+ ppv channels. Go kill them off. I do, however, like shows on FX which was one of the reasons I went to dish because comcrap wanted to charge ridiculous rates for digital cable.

Well, I'm at a crossroads now. I don't like the fact that they can arbitrarily remove channels whenever they want so I'm considering a breach of contract and just getting rid of cable all together (especially now that racing season's almost over :D ). Anyways, I'm considering just setting up an entertainment PC and calling it good. getting something like the googleTV appliance would be pretty cool as well.

How knows... should probably just get rid of the TV all together. I watch too much tv as it is.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Definitely not the cheapest route, but I've had Comcast internet for over ten years. Never had a problem.

I've had Dish Network for eleven years and never had a problem. I prefer Dish Network because it has all the channels I want and it's cheaper than Direct. Plus, all the HD receivers work with my automatic dish in my fifth wheel. Only the standard receiver works with Direct. Also, Dish offers free HD for life with new customers. Which pisses me off, being a customer for over eleven years!!!!!

Sarge
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Comcast can go fuck itself with a rusty iron pipe. Their customer service was so bad, I went from being a loyal customer to being completely anti-comcast. Their customer service was abysmal. They seemed to have no interest in the individual customer.

Contrast that with DirecTV who basically asks me if there are any extra chores around the house that they can do. Best customer service with them. Even if I wait, they're very appologetic and always interested in getting me the best deal. I feel taken care of there and there service is great to boot. Awesome looking HD service too. I've had the weather be a factor with my DirecTV maybe twice or three times in the past year.

lol, this made me laugh.

I use Comcast for internet, and I had DirecTV for a while. DirecTV has the absolute best TV service I've ever had, but they are your worst nightmare if you ever try to cancel them. I'm a bit of a IT networking guy, and I've been using Cable internet for years, with custom modem and router firmware and elaborate home network setups, and I just can't stand DSL. Cable is always soo much faster, especially for the price. DSL really slams you if you don't have a home phone line as well.

I had Comcast TV for a minute, and it sucked. Paid for the HD option and got like 15 channels. Granted, this was like a year ago, but then I switched to DirecTV and LOVED it, at least until the bill came do. But, when I deployed this last time I called to cancel, they told me they would NOT charge the, get this, $400 cancellation fee. But of course they did anyway. It took me WEEKS of calling, complaining, filing a BBB complaint, threatening legal action, etc to get my damn money back. All this because I was moving out of the house for a deployment. There's a very clear law known as the Service Members Civil Relief Act that says they have to drop cancellation fees, etc, due to military orders. Needless to say, it was a huge pain. Best TV you can get the US, except maybe FiOS or something, which we don't have in Colorado, slightly more expensive then cable but gives you SO MUCH MORE HD. I just hate the damn cell phone contracts they lock you in to and renew every time you call to complain about anything.

If you read the BBB, you'll see that both DirecTV and Dish Network get rather low reviews and a LOT of complaints about their shady pricing practices and auto-renewing contracts for the slightest thing, but they really do have the best service.

rforsythe
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Definitely not the cheapest route, but I've had Comcast internet for over ten years. Never had a problem.

I've had Dish Network for eleven years and never had a problem. I prefer Dish Network because it has all the channels I want and it's cheaper than Direct. Plus, all the HD receivers work with my automatic dish in my fifth wheel. Only the standard receiver works with Direct. Also, Dish offers free HD for life with new customers. Which pisses me off, being a customer for over eleven years!!!!!

Call them and ask. My mom has been a dish customer for years and they just upgraded her to free HD.

salsashark
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM
...All this because I was moving out of the house for a deployment. There's a very clear law known as the Service Members Civil Relief Act that says they have to drop cancellation fees, etc, due to military orders.

ummm... this isn't how I read it.

From what I know of this the law only goes as far as to protect against certain obligations. This is not a "get out of jail free card" for active military.

The law only goes as far as saying that a company can not exercise an option to repossess property without court order. If you call up and cancel a contract for service, they have every right to charge you a cancellation fee. You have to initiate court proceedings and it's the court's discretion as to whether or not you're liable for the fees.

It may suck, but it's true.

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lamp/downloads/SCRAguide.pdf - section 6-3

Sarge
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Call them and ask. My mom has been a dish customer for years and they just upgraded her to free HD.

I'm sure they'll do it for free, but watch them also renew your contract... :devil2:

Sarge
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 02:03 PM
ummm... this isn't how I read it.

From what I know of this the law only goes as far as to protect against certain obligations. This is not a "get out of jail free card" for active military.

The law only goes as far as saying that a company can not exercise an option to repossess property without court order. If you call up and cancel a contract for service, they have every right to charge you a cancellation fee. You have to initiate court proceedings and it's the court's discretion as to whether or not you're liable for the fees.

It may suck, but it's true.

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lamp/downloads/SCRAguide.pdf - section 6-3

There are other things to it, like the ability to break leases. They just passed a spousal version that even lets my wife stay a "resident" of our Home of Record and vote and pay taxes accordingly.

One part of it though, is that I was technically moving to an area outside of their service area. They don't provide service in Iraq, and I was lawfully ordered to go there, so I can't continue receiving their service, but because of military orders, not by choice.

*edit*
I just pulled this out of the first paragraph of Section 6-3:

6-3. Fines and Penalties on Contracts

50 U.S.C. app. § 523
(a) Prohibition of penalties. When an action for compliance with the terms of a contract is stayed pursuant to this Act, a penalty shall not accrue for failure to comply with the terms of the contract during the period of the stay.

(b) Reduction or waiver of fines or penalties. If a servicemember fails to perform an obligation arising under a contract and a penalty is incurred arising from that nonperformance, a court may reduce or waive the fine or penalty if----

(In this case, cancelling early)

(1) the servicemember was in military service at the time the fine or penalty was incurred; and
(2) the ability of the servicemember to perform the obligation was materially affected by such military service.17

Being deployed to Iraq takes me out of their service area, and I can't continue for paying for service that they can't provide, and as it's not my fault the SMCRA protects me from these fees.

salsashark
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM
^^ I got that part. I keep a copy of this law handy because I have a rental property close to Buckley AFB. I also have an early out clause in my lease for PCS/deployment situations.

I never said you should have been hit with the fee... I personally think that, after providing lawful deployment orders, DiectTV should have said "good luck, keep your head down, and we hope to get your business again someday".

Unfortunately, they don't care because that may affect their bottom line

Sarge
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 02:17 PM
^^ I got that part. I keep a copy of this law handy because I have a rental property close to Buckley AFB. I also have an early out clause in my lease for PCS/deployment situations.

I never said you should have been hit with the fee... I personally think that, after providing lawful deployment orders, DiectTV should have said "good luck, keep your head down, and we hope to get your business again someday".

Unfortunately, they don't care because that may affect their bottom line

That's what it came down to, and the funny part is that they basically DID say that to me. The first person I got told me to be safe, they were cancelling the service, there was going to be no fee, and there was a box in the mail, prepaid, for me to send the receivers back. At this, I was extremely happy. When I logged on to my bank the next day though, and saw that they had charged me the fee they just told me they weren't going to, then I was upset.

When you said "they have every right to charge the fee," I basically interpreted this as you saying I should have been hit with the fee? Maybe I read it wrong. Anyway, you're right, they didn't care about anything but their bottom line.

One thing to note though, and they've warned us about this at Fort Carson, is that there is such as thing as a "Military addendum" to a lease that, if signed, basically states that you waive your rights under the SMCRA, if you can be fooled into signing the thing.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Call them and ask. My mom has been a dish customer for years and they just upgraded her to free HD.I was thinking they might. Gotta buy an HD receiver, which I really don't care about. If it's free, though...

I'm sure they'll do it for free, but watch them also renew your contract... :devil2:No contract. I've owned all my equipment since day one. I just pay the fee to have my receiver registered so I can catch the signal.

Sarge
Mon Oct 4th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I was thinking they might. Gotta buy an HD receiver, which I really don't care about. If it's free, though...

No contract. I've owned all my equipment since day one. I just pay the fee to have my receiver registered so I can catch the signal.

Very nice, that would be the way to go, I've just never forked over the cash. Those HD-DVR's are $400+ sometimes...

But, just like the cell phone companies, they'll always upgrade you for free and give you discounts when you renew your contract. Must be nice to have the freedom to tell them to F* off if they piss you off though, definitely has to give you some leverage in the case of service issues.

Cars-R-Coffins
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 05:38 PM
How much should I expect for Qwest internet? Do I have to have phone service through them?

Sarge
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 11:46 PM
How much should I expect for Qwest internet? Do I have to have phone service through them?

You'll pay more without phone service. They offered discounted rates, but the mostly don't apply. Plus, unless you can get the more expensive Fiber option, the fastest speed they can give you is 7Mbps, for $40-$60/month, depending on the phone line, and they like to ask for 12 month contracts.

Comcast, on the other hand, will give you 15Mbps for $25 or $30/month for 6 months, then it jumps to about $55 or $60, but its a LOT faster. I've always had poor experience with DSL, usually being more high latency and stuff, and unless you're on the same block as the telco office, you won't get that 7Mbps.

= Buckeye Jess =
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I just signed up for them yesterday and am waiting for Tue for my activation... I hate waiting just for someone to flip a switch...grr!
Anyway, I'm supposedly able to get the fastest speed (we'll see how well that works out for me...) and I'm not getting phone service. My initial price is gonna be $30/month for the first 6 months and I don't recall what it jumps up to after that. After that first 6 months, I'm able to go to a lower speed/price if I so decide to - so I'm going to wait and see what speeds I'm actually getting. All of this with NO contract contrary to what some other folks are posting. The contract comes into play with DirectTV if you bundle, but not on the internet service.