PDA

View Full Version : take-offs

drago52
Wed Oct 6th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I've heard from several people that you can get take-off tires at races for pretty cheap. The tires are wasted on the edges, but pretty much new on the centers and the tires are still very useable if you aren't racing. Is this true? Also, are the MRA races a good place to source some takeoffs and how would someone go about it? Just talk to the racers before/after races, hang around the pits? I'm pretty clueless here.

rybo
Wed Oct 6th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Ryan,

For street riding, especially this time of year, I wouldn't recommend going the "take off" route.

My motto is as follows: race tires and street tires are appropriately named for the place they belong.

Race tires are designed to work at temperatures of 160 degrees and above. I don't care who you are or how hard you ride in the canyons, there is simply NO WAY to maintain that type of temperature in the tires on the street. The other thing they are really really bad at is going well in wet weather. There are grooves cut in the tread, but they are the bare minimum required to get them DOT certified, and for the most part they do NOT go to the edge of the tire, so they don't channel water very well at all.

I know Scer is offering some really good deals on Q2's right now, and I saw them at Performance today for $220 a set. I sell my take offs for between $100 and $150 a set depending on how many laps are on them.

Race tires are worked pretty hard across the tread. The center is used heavily for acceleration (rear) and braking (front) and edges (all corners).

If you're looking for a good trackday tire, then I can appreciate the want for a good take off, but if you're looking for street tires, I would say the current crop of supersport tires from all the brands are pretty hard to beat.

Scott

drago52
Wed Oct 6th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Excellent info as always. Thanks for the concise explanation. I would be using the tires for track days, but probably 95% of the riding would be street riding.

06xbss
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 12:09 AM
if your pushing the grip of supersport, race, or even take-off tires on the street, then your ridding to fast. i've been running take-offs on the street for the last few years without any problems, even in heavy rain. i'll play in the canyons, but nowhere near what either me or the bike is capable of. i'm at 4000 street miles on the rear and it just now needs to be replaced. put 6000+ street miles on the front before i replaced it. for the price i'll always run take-offs....

i use michelin power race 2ct take-offs. 250.00 a set + ~40.00 for mount and balance from a dealer. i only pay 80.00 a set, including mount and balance. even if i replace them more often, the savings is well worth it.

cromer611
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 12:44 AM
i got 2 sets of 120/180 pilot power 1s for sale if anyone needs some street ridin rubbah!

Spiderman
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I've been running take-offs for 2+ years and 20,000+ miles now. I usually run them a couple of psi's lower than what's recommended for street tires on my bike. I've drug knee (yes, on the street) on take-offs, but in was the middle of summer, and I was hanging so far off the bike, I probably wasn't at the edge of traction anyway. In colder weather, you have to give them longer to warm up (a lot longer), and realize they will never get up to their optimal operating temperature, or be as sticky as a street tire would (in the same temps). For the cooler temps, if you can adapt your riding style to incorporate the aforementioned limitations (and the colder it gets, the greater the degree of adaptation required), take-offs can be a huge money saver.

I've been averaging about 5000 miles out of a rear, and 9000 out of a front... same as I used to get on street tires.

I don't plan on ever buying street tires again.

dragos13
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Race takeoffs work good if you are careful and understand the characterstics of the rubber. Don't expect them to be hooking up like glue as you leave the neighborhood first thing in the morning. Take your time to get temp in them, and you'll have no problem.

Aphrodite
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Race takeoffs work good if you are careful and understand the characterstics of the rubber. Don't expect them to be hooking up like glue as you leave the neighborhood first thing in the morning. Take your time to get temp in them, and you'll have no problem.

You just watch, someone will do it though, cream themselves being stupid.

dragos13
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 07:56 AM
No doubt about that. There are people who could run takeoffs all year long, and others who couldn't even do it mid summer lol.

Scer
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I know Scer is offering some really good deals on Q2's right now, and I saw them at Performance today for $220 a set.

Thanks for the plug Scott!
Yes, I am selling the Q2's for $210 plus tax for a 120/70 front and 180-55 rear.
$230 for the 190/55 rear instead. Prices includes mounting with wheels off the bike. :)

To piggy back on what Casey and everyone else said.. Races tires are a lot more "touchy" when ridden on the street.

Pros:
-cheaper
-more grip when up to temp
-usually tons of center tire tread left

Cons:
-won't last as long
-less grip when cold
-horrible wet traction
-costs more if your bike goes down

I usually ride take offs myself but with cation. I once had a tire cool off enough while I was waiting for a train that I almost low sided when doing a u turn cause I couldn't wait any longer.

So choice is yours. If you truly will be doing 95% of riding on the street then I would recommend picking up Q2s. Or what ever other brand street tires you like. Otherwise the best reason you have for race tires is to have the grip on the track..that you will be exploiting 5% of the time.

There were a lot of reviews on the Q2s on this site before we went back in time, but I can assure you that in the long run street tires would probably be best.

Hope I helped a little more.

decide on decidas

Foolds
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the plug Scott!
Yes, I am selling the Q2's for $210 plus tax for a 120/70 front and 180-55 rear.
$230 for the 190/55 rear instead. Prices includes mounting with wheels off the bike. :)

To piggy back on what Casey and everyone else said.. Races tires are a lot more "touchy" when ridden on the street.

Pros:
-cheaper
-more grip when up to temp
-usually tons of center tire tread left

Cons:
-won't last as long
-less grip when cold
-horrible wet traction
-costs more if your bike goes down

I usually ride take offs myself but with cation. I once had a tire cool off enough while I was waiting for a train that I almost low sided when doing a u turn cause I couldn't wait any longer.

So choice is yours. If you truly will be doing 95% of riding on the street then I would recommend picking up Q2s. Or what ever other brand street tires you like. Otherwise the best reason you have for race tires is to have the grip on the track..that you will be exploiting 5% of the time.

There were a lot of reviews on the Q2s on this site before we went back in time, but I can assure you that in the long run street tires would probably be best.

Hope I helped a little more.

decide on decidas

Ive got about 4k Miles and 2 track days on my Q2's and love em.. Great tire and got about 30-50% left on them still been a very stable tire great in the rain too! Buy Q2's and buy Piece of mind!

Scer
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Damn.do I owe you something for that advertisement pitch?!??? lol :)

pitch on pitchas