PDA

View Full Version : Utah ski locations

Captain Obvious
Wed Oct 6th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Looking at going to visit my brother in SLC this winter. Planning on boarding when I am there. Day ski trips, which slopes should I go to for a variation from the CO Pass?

Will keep an eye on snow reports obviously, but have never been there so have no clue on the different slopes.

Maybe 1 or 2 days, will be staying in SLC but I think most of the places are a driving trip.

http://www.skiutah.com/winter/planning/maps/2008-09Resorts-Map.jpg

asp_125
Wed Oct 6th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Closest resorts are up Big Cottonwood Canyon: Alta, Snowbird, Brighton.
Larger resorts up I-80: Park City, Deer Valley(skiers only), The Canyons.

Park City area resorts are more like Breck, Vail etc, large and generic.
Alta, Snowbird & Brighton are smaller resorts but they are closer together.

Hope you luck out on the famous Utah powder. :up:

Matty
Wed Oct 6th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Depends on what you want to ski/ride. I've ridden at most of the resorts in Utah, except Alta and Deer valley (Skiers only)!

Park City where the larger resorts are less than an hour north of SLC. The less crowded and less expensive places like Snowbasin (my favorite) are about 40 min north of SLC up cottonwood.

Wish I could go with ya. The snow in Utah is so light and soft. When you turn you more like drift. Even a few days after a dump the snow is still soft without that mash potato type of snow.

Damn..... I want to go shredding already!

rybo
Wed Oct 6th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I love Alta

bodhizafa
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I used to live in Park City, not bad for intermediate stuff. Snowbird is one of my favorite places (just behind Jackson Hole).....tons of good steeps. The Canyons (next to Park City) is ok, really big and spread out but needs lots of snow. Brighton is ok too, big with the snowboarders. Never been to Alta or Deer Valley.....not allowed there :)

Pharmgirl
Thu Oct 7th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I liked Park City - it's a lot like the big CO resorts. My fave was Powder Mountain, which is more of a locals hill, so there is no fancy resort attached to it and a they don't make any snow, mostly because they don't need to. The powder was deep! I believe that it is near Eden and not that far from Snowbird.

QFT
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I think Snowbird is supposed to be great. I'm glad you asked though, I need to know more about Utah resorts as well.

Matty
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Snowbird and Brighton are great.

Captain Obvious
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Depends on what you want to ski/ride.
Damn..... I want to go shredding already!

Well, we will be bringing the boards. My wife is still very new and figuring out the basics, but this is the first season I feel like I know what I am doing, am able to put the board where I want to, and don't spend more time on my rear than on my feet. So we will need something with a mix, nothing too crazy steep for her, but I would love to try some "Utah powder".

Don't know what my brother will be on, he has never gong skiing even though he has lived in Utah for 10 years. Crazy huh?

Matt, I am with you. Def looking forward to the season.

asp_125
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Whatever you do, go out before April. I went in April and most of that dry fluffy white smoke powder had turned into mashed potato.

Matty
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 07:41 PM
You might want to ride at Park City or The Canyons. Both similar to Keystone but larger. Plenty of green and blue runs.

Go on a Sunday..... A lot of people are in Church!

Captain Obvious
Fri Oct 8th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Go on a Sunday..... A lot of people are in Church!

True dat.

bodhizafa
Sat Oct 9th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I'd say Park City is your best bet. 25 minutes from Salt Lake. Nice groomed runs, some nice off piste stuff, nice town too (Sort of reminds me of Breck, except for the stupid beer rules). I'd probably stay away from Snowbird/Alta, more advanced mts.