PDA

View Full Version : TOTALED I THINK NOT LETS FIX IT

firefghtr
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 10:48 AM
THE insurance is saying its totalled but im not going to get rid of the bike im going to take what they will give me and fix the bike myself. SO IF ANY OF YOU HAVE CONECTIONS AND GOOD DISCOUNTS ON PARTS PLEASE TELL ME!!!! AND AFTER I GET SOME PARTS IN AWHILE WE CAN HAVE A WRENCHING PARTY AT MY HOUSE TO FIX MY BIKE. ANY HELP IS VERY APRECIATED!! :) :) :) :) :)

Anonymous
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 10:58 AM
What kind of bike?
What parts?

Ripper
Wed Jul 30th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Yea what is it, I worked @ Vickery, Grand Prix, Excel, Colorado Powersports, Gay myers, and Sun, sorry if I forget anyone, Anyways I'm in good with a couple of the GM's , it just depends on what brand you're rebuilding.

Let me know what u need!

How much was the buy back from the ins. company?

firefghtr
Thu Jul 31st, 2003, 12:04 AM
It is an 01 kawasaki zx-6e
The isurance co is calling tomarrow and will tell me how much they will give me and ill go from there.

firefghtr
Sat Aug 2nd, 2003, 01:16 AM
stupid insurars they are only going to give me 3,900.oo for a 5,500.00 dollar bike eat my a$$. but if i keep it they are going to give me 1,500.00 to fix it i just have to get a salvage tittle on it. those guys are ticking me off.
PARTS MY BIKE NEEDS THAT I KNOW OF:
FRONT BRAKE HANDLE
RIGHT SIDE STOCK EXHAUST
AN ENGINE CAP DEALY THAT I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS
AND MY SIDE IS MADE UP OF 3 PLASTICS AND THE BOTTOM 2 ARE BY FAR THE WORST SO I AM ONLY GOING TO REPLACE THOSE.

I am thinking ill try and buy the break lever from performance cyle but not sure if they will have it. and i am guessing i need to call a kawi dealer to find the rest. am i right? can anyone help me out with this by way connections or so on. I have never attempted to fix my bikes after they wrecked. so any help or wisdom is a help.!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) THANK YOU

Ripper
Sat Aug 2nd, 2003, 01:28 AM
Try "Erico" they should have some of the parts you need, also Try Vickery they have the most impressive (in stock) parts dept, I've seen out here.

My rommie works atr Sun, so he can get a killer discount, but might not have everything in stock, so they would have to be ordered.

irdave
Sun Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:02 PM
I'm in the process of doing this to my Aprilia Mille. Just waiting on a few more parts from the dealer... Then I'm going to trial fit all the new stuff and get everything painted to match (the guy is going to fix all my plastic at the same time.)

I got lucky, though. I smashed my tank, but already had another one. Same with the exhaust. I already had a full 2 into 2 system waiting to go on. I had also already fit Woodcraft clip ons, so I just have to put the new bar in...

My brake lever was ground off, so instead of stock I got a Brembo radial mount master cylinder (pricey, but very nice) and I picked up some fancy aftermarket rearsets instead of the stockers. Some parts I got from the guys on apriliaforum, some from ebay, some from the dealer (kill switch, inner air tube.)

My insurance company (USAA) valued my bike at 9300 clams, and sold it back to me for 3200. So I end up owing the bank a couple of hundred dollars, but I get out of 4 years of payments... And ya' shouldn't be able to tell that it ever hit the deck.

firefghtr
Mon Aug 4th, 2003, 12:12 AM
sounds good

Mel
Tue Aug 5th, 2003, 12:05 AM
I don't know if it is different for bikes vs.cars, but if the ins. company says it is totalled and you decide to retain ownership, then technically the bike was never "totalled" and thus will not have a salvage title. It should only get a salvage title if the insurance company takes possession of it. Just something for you to keep in mind. If you do keep it, fix it, and later sell it, the accident will only show as damages, not as totalledm and the title will still be clear.

firefghtr
Tue Aug 5th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I think it depends though. that might work for most damages. but if there is anything questionable about the frame there is an automatic salvage i believe. And my frame got a very small scratch that paint would fill in but the insurance guy said the whole frame would have to be replaced. wich is stupic because i could take a screw driver and scratch it myself. Is it totalled then too? i mean come on :roll:

Ripper
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 04:33 PM
G, Any progress getting your estimate?

Mel
Wed Aug 6th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Yeah, any word yet? And I don't know on the ins. thing, I mean, ins. is the only one who can declare it a total loss and change the title on it. And they can not have the title changed unless they posses it, so it can't really be put to a salvage title if you take what they give you can keep it because they would never have it to salvage it. I had a car burn to the ground almost...everything from the passenger cabin forward was melted (thanks Soundtrack, for your wonderful wiring job)...the car was beyond totalled, but I choose to keep the car, and thus is only showed on records as a comprehensive claim, and was never a salvage car. That same car was actually considered a total loss by the insurance company twice.
Where it could get interesting on the bike is when you go to insure it...they may deny you any form of comprehensive coverage on it...they may figure that they have paid you off for it once and they will not again.

firefghtr
Thu Aug 7th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Well actually i talked to my laon worker. And I can't have a loan on a salvage tittle bike. so i am fighting the whole small scratch totalled thing. I am going to try a new claims ajuster and see if they will agnoledge a shop inspecting the frame and passing it so i don't end up in the gutter. so this whole deal is going to take a lot longer than i hoped. but it can last along time as long as i dont get screwed in the b#$%. Plus i am very confused right now about the whole insurance thing because the ajuster has a thumb up his butt and doesn't know what he's doin with bike claims.Basically if the bike ends up being totalled then i loose about 2,200 of 3,000 i put as a down payment so i am just waiting right now to see what happens.

Mel
Fri Aug 8th, 2003, 05:20 PM
When you bought the bike, you did not happen to get such a thing called gap insurance, did you? If you did, that would cover your ass on this whole thing. Also, like I said, check into what happens if it is totalled and you decide to owner retain. Ask when the buy back is, etc. They should then take what they want to pay you for it, subtract the "buy back" and the bike is still yours, and with it not being totalled, then there is no adverse reaction from your loan company. Look into it, I have done it before with cars, I promise (at least on a car) that if you owner retain a totalled vehicle it can not have a salvage title.

irdave
Tue Aug 19th, 2003, 12:40 PM
What PGC said...

My insurance company cut me a check for actual cash value (determined by calling around to shops in the area and asking what they'd expect to sell it for- 'cause it was too new to have an established value) minus what they were selling it back to me for... Because I had a loan, the insurance company made the check out to me and the bank. I gave the bank the check and a couple hundred bucks and the bank is sending me the title. I'm under the impression that it won't be a salvage title because, technically, I payed the bank off with just some check...