PDA

View Full Version : Torrent Question

JustSomeDude
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
It seems like alot of the good torrent sites are cutting back and limiting their searches and what they host. Anyone know of any good torrent forums or places to get quality files?

w0rd.

highpsi03
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM
btjunkie.org

Survivalism
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
thepiratebay.org if its still up

I believe IPtorrents is invite only.. which i may have a few invites for it if you want one.

Wrider
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I use pirate bay regularly. The key is to wait for a few reviews to say it's legit then dl it.
Survivalism if you're willing to part with one I'll take it.

Survivalism
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I use pirate bay regularly. The key is to wait for a few reviews to say it's legit then dl it.
Survivalism if you're willing to part with one I'll take it.

Send me a pm with your email, just dont leech off of this website please :D

TurboGizzmo
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
hosting (rapidshare/hotfile) or newsgroups or IRC :)

brennahm
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 11:29 AM
torrents.to

Zach929rr
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 12:59 PM
hosting (rapidshare/hotfile) or newsgroups or IRC :)

keepin it old school.

TurboGizzmo
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 08:43 PM
keepin it old school.

Keeping it safe school :)

csmith
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 09:39 PM
What exactly is torrent? Just a vehicle to move large files?

Nick_Ninja
Sun Oct 10th, 2010, 10:23 PM
What exactly is torrent? Just a vehicle to move large files?

A torrent is a file sent via the BitTorrent (http://www.techterms.com/definition/bittorrent) protocol. It can be just about any type of file, such as a movie, song, game, or application. During the transmission, the file is incomplete and therefore is referred to as a torrent. Torrent downloads (http://www.techterms.com/definition/download) that have been paused or stopped cannot be opened as regular files, since they do not contain all the necessary data. However, they can often be resumed using a BitTorrent client, as long as the file is available from another server.

Torrents are different from regular downloads in that they are usually downloaded from more than one server (http://www.techterms.com/definition/server) at a time. The BitTorrent protocol uses multiple computers to transfer a single file, thereby reducing the bandwidth (http://www.techterms.com/definition/bandwidth) required by each server. When a torrent download is started, the BitTorrent system locates multiple computers with the file and downloads different parts of the file from each computer. Likewise, when sending a torrent, the server may send the file to multiple computers before it reaches the recipient. The result is a lower average bandwidth usage, which speeds up file transfers.

R1-Laubinero
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 09:28 AM
demonoid

Aphrodite
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM
No idea what to said Ninja.

Zach929rr
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Keeping it safe school :)

Touche. One of my buddies queued me in on the newsgroups a few years ago. Said he was getting like 1mb/s+ from some New Zeland site, but it was like $15/mnth. I never got involved in it.

I do definitely remember the days of Hotfile though. All about who you knew and what you had to share.

TurboGizzmo
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Touche. One of my buddies queued me in on the newsgroups a few years ago. Said he was getting like 1mb/s+ from some New Zeland site, but it was like $15/mnth. I never got involved in it.

I do definitely remember the days of Hotfile though. All about who you knew and what you had to share.

+1 on who you know, then you can get in on top sites and FTP (SFTP) stuff.

News groups cost, but also some ISP come with a month cap that people dont normally know about.....

csmith
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM
A torrent is a file sent via the BitTorrent (http://www.techterms.com/definition/bittorrent) protocol. It can be just about any type of file, such as a movie, song, game, or application. During the transmission, the file is incomplete and therefore is referred to as a torrent. Torrent downloads (http://www.techterms.com/definition/download) that have been paused or stopped cannot be opened as regular files, since they do not contain all the necessary data. However, they can often be resumed using a BitTorrent client, as long as the file is available from another server.

Torrents are different from regular downloads in that they are usually downloaded from more than one server (http://www.techterms.com/definition/server) at a time. The BitTorrent protocol uses multiple computers to transfer a single file, thereby reducing the bandwidth (http://www.techterms.com/definition/bandwidth) required by each server. When a torrent download is started, the BitTorrent system locates multiple computers with the file and downloads different parts of the file from each computer. Likewise, when sending a torrent, the server may send the file to multiple computers before it reaches the recipient. The result is a lower average bandwidth usage, which speeds up file transfers.

:wtf: Alright, so.. Large files / lots of computers + lower bandwidth = torrent.

TurboGizzmo
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 10:19 AM
:wtf: Alright, so.. Large files / lots of computers + lower bandwidth = torrent.

Its like clustering for downloads.....once you download a torrent you should let it seed for a little bit so that you help someone else finish the download by sharing parts of your already completed download.

This can get you in trouble because the whole time you're downloading a torrent youre sharing bits and pieces of the download with others also downloading.....movie companies will also download a torrent just to get the list of people (IPs) downloading so they can send you lovely letters.

Of course there are many legit uses, like getting a Linux iso of a new release or even a microsoft server iso. If it was just released that means A LOT of people are downloading and sharing meaning you can get it fast because everyone is download a different pieces and sharing it across internet to fill in the gaps, this reduces the load on a single download server.

Aphrodite
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Sounds like tha Kazza program I used to use years ago?

csmith
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I feel wrong for never having used this.

TurboGizzmo
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Sounds like tha Kazza program I used to use years ago?

Kazza (from what i remember) is downloading a file directly from someone....so i share a bunch of mp3s people are grabbing them directly from me so if i go offline your download stops.....Torrent is spread among tons of people, with each of them helping fill in pieces and parts of the download.

Devaclis
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
You are evil people! Don't you know that torrents are used to illegally distribute stolen/pirated software and copyrighted files?

Jerks!

;)

Forget torrents. Go back to the newsgroups. /oldschool

Zach929rr
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM
alt.sex.movies

clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick

TurboGizzmo
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Forget torrents. Go back to the newsgroups. /oldschool

Nothing old school, i used them yesterday and assume i will today :P

We just need some FTP space and requests :bat:

Mista Black
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 10:58 AM
+ 1 for newsgroups

the way of the past... the way of the future...

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
www.publicdomaintorrents.com

all legal...lots of really bad karate movies :lol:

kevplus2
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Kazza (from what i remember) is downloading a file directly from someone....so i share a bunch of mp3s people are grabbing them directly from me so if i go offline your download stops.....Torrent is spread among tons of people, with each of them helping fill in pieces and parts of the download.

most p2p clients are now based on gnutella (or g2), which is decentralized peer to peer. like torrents, you download chunks from multiple users, speeding transfers and increasing the difficulty to track the dl. good clients (like shareaza, not the adware infested crap like kazaaa) allow you to do both torrents and p2p

the early clients (like kazaa and napster) were centralized/semi centralized and therefore easier to track.

be sure to at least use peer block (or similar) if using gnutella or g2 clients

Wrider
Sat Nov 20th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Thought I'd update this and let you know I have an IP torrents invite if anyone else wants one.

JellyBean
Sun Nov 21st, 2010, 12:39 AM
torrent-finder.com is like a search engine for all the torrent sites. It is what I use and I like it.