PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Feedback

DW
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I have regular Pilot Powers that will need to be replaced for next season and want to stick with Michelin. I no longer ride the street and am just a casual track day rider. So, what's next for me? I do have the Michelin chart and by the numbers, the Power One seems like the way to go, but too much coin for a casual track day tire for me.

So I was thinking between the Pilot Power 2CT or the Power Pure? Just want a great track day Michelin tire that will stick, wear well, and can take the constant cycles without bakers and still perform.

If you've used either or both on the track, please let me know what you think of them.

Thanks,

UglyDogRacing
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 01:26 PM
If you don't ride on the street anymore, why not go with Michelin Power One's?

Foolds
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Maybe No Warmers?

I ran Power Pilot 2 Cts on the track last year during a track day and they did fine.. This year I ran Dunlop Q2's on the track and really liked those.. If I was doing All Track Days and wanted to Run Michelin I would Go Pure Or the Power Ones Like Jim Said... Or maybe Even some good takeoffs

sprtbkbabe
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I raced on 2 sets of Pure's all season. 2CTs are good if you do more street riding than track. Pure's are better for more track riding than street

vort3xr6
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Take offs. Just takes a couple laps to warm up but they will stick really well.

cromer611
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I got some power 1s if you want a cheap trackday tire alternative. the only time i rode on pures is when it was slightly damp in a morning warmup. they felt great in the wet conditions i was using them for, but for dry conditions i use power 1s. and yes michies are the best

OUTLAWD
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 04:42 PM
when it comes down to it...street tires are meant for the street...I even think michelin's breakdown for the pures says something like 85% street/15% track.

I'm not on michelins, but I am running DOT race tires and got the whole season and numerous lapping days out of 1 medium front and 2 medium compound rears on my GSXR, I'm by no means fast, but last year when I was running street tires (PP2CTs), I was going through a rear every other track day, and a front every third or fourth.

+1 for take-offs. Anyone you talk to will tell you modern race tires will run out of tread before you put too many heat cycles on them.

DW
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks a ton for all the info. I've been under a rock on this scene for a number of years. I've gone from the D208's to the Pilot Powers....that's my only tire experience since 2001 when I bought my bike. I tell ya though, I'll never forget the feeling between the 208s and Powers. I just felt so much more comfortable and confident in the corners on the PPowers. Although I really have been hearing a lot of good on the Q2s. I'll be the first to say it, I'm behind on the advances of tire technology over the past few years.

Only thing keeping me from the One's is the cost and not being sure how long they'll last for the money. Without tire warmers, would those go quick?

Seems between Pure's and 2CT's, the Pure's would be the better choice for strictly track days.

outlawd, you made a good point bringing up those numbers. By that chart, the One's seem like the obvious choice for track days, but those are also the most expensive.

Excuse the dumb question, but how do you guys get your take offs? Line up at the racers pit area? If that's not a good public question, please PM.

Thanks much

R1-Laubinero
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 07:31 PM
im on the pure's now- its a lighter version of the 2ct---it will replace it eventually...2cts are heavier than the pures- same dual compound set up but now with the weigh of the old pilot powers whi9ch were very light. The puresy also have better bump compliance than the 2cts-- this also caused me to hunt for a better ( firmer)suspension set up on the R1 as well--and juggle tire presures

DW
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 07:47 PM
R1, how have you been liking them? Get any track time on them?

R1-Laubinero
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 11:19 PM
no track time yet- but im sure they'll do well-- I've punished them in the Mountain/canyons a few times ....mostly in the mountains in arkansas-so lets say 3 real aggresive rides with temperatures ranging from 100f to around 75f- my agression on the 1st outting in arkansas was not much different than my track pace---and there was a particular section of about 50miles of some serious backroad business--btw if you vist arkansas you must try hwy 14 to 123...I have the 190/55 on back which makes for a quick turn in- Im happy with the profile so far-transitioning is pretty quick for such step sides- wear in minimal now with about 400 miles on them. here well my pace has been less than stellar- but certainly not slow- maybe it was the arkansas air in the tires? I also taught 2 sportbike classes on them and the low speed handeling was very good...I was able to get them all the way to the edge and no slip-- Love the pures---
it'll be a natural step from the powers you have now-VS how stiff and heavy the 2cts would feel after having the regular powers on...

UglyDogRacing
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Only thing keeping me from the One's is the cost and not being sure how long they'll last for the money. Without tire warmers, would those go quick?

Tire warmers don't affect how long they last. You'll run out of rubber long before they'll harden up from too many heat cycles.

Seems between Pure's and 2CT's, the Pure's would be the better choice for strictly track days.

outlawd, you made a good point bringing up those numbers. By that chart, the One's seem like the obvious choice for track days, but those are also the most expensive.

Run Power One take offs. Cheaper than the Pure's and 2CT's and will perform better and last longer on the track.

Excuse the dumb question, but how do you guys get your take offs? Line up at the racers pit area? If that's not a good public question, please PM.

Thanks much

Here - http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36451

You're telling us you have a dedicated track bike now that will not be ridden on the street, yet your asking street riders what tires you think you should run and they are giving you answers based on what they think works best in their canyon riding. You need to figure out which direction you want to go. Street tires are for street riding and race tires are for track riding. Yes you can buy power pures or 2CT's but they are not going to work very well and last very long if you are only riding on the track with them. Depending on how hot you get them, i.e. how fast you are, they will eventually stop working because they are designed to operate at around 120 degrees. A Power One race tire doesnt start working until 170 plus degrees, which they will be at after a moderate pace.
But don't listen to me since I've only raced on Michelins for ten years, ask the local tire vendors. Erik and Casey on this forum work for the Michelin vendor, Vanmar Racing, Oscar Solis at Sol Performance(also on this forum) is the Dunlop vendor, and Bart at Faster is the Bridgestone vendor.

OUTLAWD
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM
^^:applause:

dirkterrell
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Let me add my two cents worth here. In 2008 I did a few races on 2CTs. They worked well for me when the temperatures were low. But when the temperatures rose, they weren't so good. I was spinning the rear wheel coming out of turn 7 at Pueblo. I switched to Pilot Races and the difference was immediately noticeable. My lap times dropped by a couple of seconds purely from the confidence I had in the tires.

I am by no means a fast racer like some of the others who have given very good advice in this thread. I am slow. But I was easily able to push the 2CTs beyond their optimum operating zone. Take Jim's advice to heart. If you want to ride the track and get faster, get some race takeoffs, set the pressures right, warm them up properly (either warmers or a couple of laps with progressively faster turns and harder braking) and enjoy the confidence of knowing that the tires probably aren't going to the be what limits you. Two things I don't skimp on: protective gear and tires.

Dirk

DW
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Jim, you were my "guide for the day" at a Chicane/Pueblo day March of last year. I came here for information on getting up to speed on the right Michelin tire choice for track days. I'm in the track/race forum and made no shout out to street riders. Thanks for answering my questions, especially the tire warmers one and giving the straight skinny on take offs.

Erik, I completely missed your mention on your take offs, but sent you a PM. After all this good feedback, heck ya, that's the way I want to go.

Seriously, thanks to everyone who responded. It's kick arse to have a wealth of knowledge and experience to tap in to.

Hope to see y'all on the track next season. :up:

OUTLAWD
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I was spinning the rear wheel coming out of turn 7 at Pueblo.

whatchu talkin bout...drifting out of 7 is FUN!

Two things I don't skimp on: protective gear and tires

werd

dirkterrell
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM
whatchu talkin bout...drifting out of 7 is FUN!

Oh, it was fun but it was slowing me down. :D Jay said I was leaving big black streaks on the track coming out of the turn.

Dirk

R1-Laubinero
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 06:56 PM
not all take offs are equally "nice" ...wear may be questionable and you'll never know how many heat cycles the tire has lived though-- despite what the guy getting your money says- its still a risk vs a new power one-- but a used tire does let you get out on the track cheap!

COS Mille
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM
This was my first full season of racing. I switched to the Power One this season mid way through (takeoffs). Will not go back to a street biased tire. They will warm up quick without warmers, stick great first lap cold. I was thinking I wouldn't be good enough for these tires, but they mad a BIG difference.
Here is a good test.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/2945/Motorcycle-Article/Michelin-Power-One-Tire-Review.aspx

Go for it!

Davy4575
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 01:47 AM
+1000 on Jims post.
Take offs will do you fine, use some common sense and get them from the experts and/or rider reps. I raced a variety of take offs this year, from power ones to pilot slicks. They last a long time and will enable you to do whats most important....put your money into getting more seat time. Post in the wanted section on the mra forums, get registered if you havent there. There is a wealth of information and people that are very helpful and concentrate on the track and racing moreso than street riding.
www.mra-racing.org (http://www.mra-racing.org)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Oct 16th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Oh, it was fun but it was slowing me down. :D Jay said I was leaving big black streaks on the track coming out of the turn.

Dirk
Um, hate to break it to you bro......but them big black streaks were from your undies draggin'.........just sayin'.......:D