PDA

View Full Version : level 1 avalanche class (denver)?

tecknojoe
Mon Oct 11th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I'm looking to take the level 1 class for avalanche safety. Has anyone here taken it? I'm in Denver so I'm looking for something not too far. Closest I've found is in Durango.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I'm looking to take the level 1 class for avalanche safety. Has anyone here taken it? I'm in Denver so I'm looking for something not too far. Closest I've found is in Durango.Durango!?!?!? That's the closest?

We've been kicking around that idea to finally use our mountaineering gear again. We used to be pretty hard core climbers, but when we bought the boat in 2000, the rock climbing and camping at 13,000' in the winter all came to a stop. What didn't stop was the increasing size of my belly from hanging on the boat and drinking. Then came street bikes and a few years later, dirt bikes. Then a toy hauler in 2007. We're in the worst shape we've ever been in!!

Anyway, we've got the kind of gear they do Everest with and thought a two or three day course would be a perfect way to get it out again. We haven't checked to see what's out there, but always assumed there would be something that REI offered and figured it would be around the ski resorts.

Perhaps I should get off my beer soaked ass and see what's out there...

tecknojoe
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM
In the research I've done, there are different levels. REI does host avalanche awareness classes, but they are very short classes that don't go over enough to get out there and ski. I want the Level 1 class which is a 3 day long course with field instruction.

I'll post up if I manage to find anything. I've seen some stuff in Boulder too, but haven't called to get more info yet.

cbrjohnny
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 11:53 AM
iv taken classes at berthoud pass via winter park ski area. call them and talk to the ski patrol they can hook you up with info... 97o-726-5514.

have you used a beacon/prob b-4? snow science is the cool part but you can spend your whole ski day digging test pits lol.

i spend a lot of time on berthoud pass, prob every sunday this season, maybe we can meet up this year.

johnny

tecknojoe
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM
iv taken classes at berthoud pass via winter park ski area. call them and talk to the ski patrol they can hook you up with info... 97o-726-5514.

have you used a beacon/prob b-4? snow science is the cool part but you can spend your whole ski day digging test pits lol.

i spend a lot of time on berthoud pass, prob every sunday this season, maybe we can meet up this year.

johnny

Haven't used any backcountry gear yet. My goal this season is to first get educated, then get the gear. I'd be glad to do some riding anytime, I usually try to go at least once a week. stupid job.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM

johnnyWe have the Ortovox M1's. There are amazing. Has a direction arrow and a distance meter. We take them out and take turns walking up the hill and burying them. The other person walks right to the buried beacon every time. No grids to walk, no test holes. They are amazing!!

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM
We have the Ortovox M1's. There are amazing. Has a direction arrow and a distance meter. We take them out and take turns walking up the hill and burying them. The other person walks right to the buried beacon every time. No grids to walk, no test holes. They are amazing!!Oops... I didn't mean "test holes". I was thinking using the probe.

I know... test holes are for determining avalanche conditions...

cbrjohnny
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 04:15 PM
yeah, the beacons out now a days are very user friendly! good thing too lol.

i live in granby just outside of wp i may be down for one more ride this next weekend if the weather holds out ( we have had snow already) ill post for the ride if it looks like it will happen! prob meet at moco.

johnny