PDA

View Full Version : Idea for generating goodwill between us and the general public

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
This summer, I had occasion to put over 2,800 miles on in the stretch of a couple months. Recently I've done a few rides since I've gotten back. One thing I've noticed is that, pretty much, if I'm cool to people and not sit on their bumper, they'll actually use the turnouts (as they should) and let me by. I make sure to NOT be an asshole to them and sit on their bumper, and be sure I give them a big thumbs up to thank them. I was actually very pleased. Basically, if I was cool with to them, they were cool to me. I only ran across a few assholes, usually guys in what they thought were "fast" cars who got pissed when I wanted to (and did) get around them and their poor driving skills. Ego = asshole.

Now, over B-day dinner with N_N last night, I floated an idea by him:
Why don't a group (or groups of us) make up some big signs promoting the CSC, post them on the top and bottom of some of our favorite roads, and spend a day or weekend cleaning up garbage along the road? People will see that we're not asshole squids, and care about the roads we like to run. I think that'd go a long way to cleaning up our image, along with, well, not riding like an asshole to begin with. Like I said, I've had some pretty positive experiences over the summer, and I'd like to advance that even further. N_N suggested getting with CDOT and getting a bunch of those orange garbage bags and he said they'll come pick them up a day or so later. Maybe have an end-of-day BBQ?

So, who's interested in doing something like this? Anyone want to step up instead of just bitch about it?

50sGrl
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:05 PM
A very nice idea and I'd pitch in.

salsashark
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
well... I'd rather just sit around and bitch about it... :doublefinger:

However, this solves nothing. So, count me in for a cleanup day if this takes off.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hey, even if John Q. Public doesn't get good vibes from it, we'd still be doing something cool for the environment, ya know? :) Hey, I can spare a day or so of work. Hell, since I'm not working now, I'd be perfectly fine doing it during the weekday as well.

Let's see what people here are REALLY made of (or FULL of).......;)

asp_125
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM
We already volunteer at events like food drives and events that ABATE put on, just not as CSC. Can we sponsor a stretch of Hwy 7? :D .. cleanup day sounds like a good idea.

Airreed
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I'm in, if it involves beer!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
7 would be good, as would 36 and/or 34 to Estes for the Northern area. Perhaps Goldengate etc. for the Durty South?

I think it'd be good to promote OUR image as the CSC, and sportbikers in general, and I think some big signs at both ends of the road while we clean would be a great way to do it. I am free this weekend, and 2 weekends from now (have my daughter every other weekend).

Hell, maybe we could even arrange for some media coverage while we do it?

salsashark
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM
^^ I could do the 23rd...

If you get the official blessing from the powers that be, I'd bet you could us the CSC parade banners...

Oh... and I have several orange vests floating around the house.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM
^^ I could do the 23rd...

If you get the official blessing from the powers that be, I'd bet you could us the CSC parade banners...

Oh... and I have several orange vests floating around the house.
That's the spirit!

cptschlongenheimer
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I'll adopt a highway with you folks. 7 is one of my personal faves. Maybe it should be regional?
Could have metro, northie, southie and westies each pick a road to spew goodwill upon?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I'll adopt a highway with you folks. 7 is one of my personal faves. Maybe it should be regional?
Could have metro, northie, southie and westies each pick a road to spew goodwill upon?
Hmmmm, "spew" goodwill? :)

7 would be good, it's one of my fave's as well.

asp_125
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM
^^ ..Oh... and I have several orange vests floating around the house.

I have one too.. but I'd rather have the orange jumpsuits :D

Scer
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM
http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/adopt-a-highway

General information and such.

I am in as well. Can't do much about the increase of pollution yet but at least I can help with this.

clean on cleanas

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Coolness! Glad to see those out there willing to pay it forward. I think this could be good!

Nick_Ninja
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Only a green liberal hippie would sign up for this :D

bornwildnfree
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I'm in! I think that's an awesome idea and I'm willing to provide beer and tasty things at my house afterward.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Only a green liberal hippie would sign up for this :D
Gawd, I've only been back in Boulder a week and already I'm an unshaven, unshowered treehugger?!?! Doh! Now, where did I put my bong........?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I think we'd need probably at least one person with a pickup, for carrying food, water, and the people to deposit them at various points along the road. Hmmm, this might be a plan!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm in! I think that's an awesome idea and I'm willing to provide beer and tasty things at my house afterward.
Dood, you RAWK!:applause:

Airreed
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
What’s required?
Generally, the adopting group agrees to pick up litter from both sides of a highway for a two mile section at a minimum of four times per year. However, each segment has its own special needs. A few segments may be longer or shorter than 2 miles or they may be in an area that doesn’t need to be picked up more than twice in a year. Some groups have adopted several sections of highway.
Adopting groups are encouraged to sort litter when picking up, taking recyclable materials to recycling centers. The group may keep any money collected from their recycling efforts.
What does the Colorado Dept of Transportation (CDOT) provide?
<LI jQuery1286914539935="32">CDOT will provide a sign crediting the group for volunteering on adopted section of highway. <LI jQuery1286914539935="33">CDOT will also provide litter bags, safety vests, a Safety Video (http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/adopt-a-highway/safety-videos.html) and a Meth Lab Waste Recognition Video (http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/adopt-a-highway/safety-videos.html) and other information to your group.
CDOT will haul the litter bags away after the group places the full bags at the edge of the roadway.

Mother Goose
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Can we clean up in our leathers? :D

Airreed
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I'll be out of the country on 23OCT, but this could be made a semi annual project.
CM- start up a poll of peeps that can do it!

You've been nominated as the OIC (office in charge) of this event. :up:

asp_125
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Make it the 24th?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Can we clean up in our leathers? :D
If that works for ya! :) Me, I like the inmate idea! Spray paint the CSC logo on 'em

Spiderman
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM
well... I'd rather just sit around and bitch about it... :doublefinger:
... :imwithstupid:

However, this solves nothing. So, count me in for a cleanup day if this takes off.
Doh! :banghead: ... okay, count me in as well.

One thing I can't help but think of, with the majority of the nicer riding days of the year behind us, our efforts might have greater visibility and serve more purpose (read: sand in corners) in the spring. Thoughts?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM
One thing I can't help but think of, with the majority of the nicer riding days of the year behind us, our efforts might have greater visibility and serve more purpose (read: sand in corners) in the spring. Thoughts?
True dat. I agree that the start of the riding season would be probably better visibility for us. But, it wouldn't hurt to start something while the idea is fresh. :) It might give all the cagers something to think about all winter, especially if we could get some coverage of the effort.

salsashark
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'll be out of the country on 23OCT, but this could be made a semi annual project.
CM- start up a poll of peeps that can do it!

You've been nominated as the OIC (office in charge) of this event. :up:

Make it the 24th?

I just threw the 23rd out because it's the only free Sat I've got this month. I'm thinking that if this is something we want to do in an official CDOT adopt a highway type program then we'll need a little more planning.

I can roll out for a few hours in the morning on the 24th, but I have to be in Parker by 1pm.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Here's an idea too, as well as doing garbage cleanup on the side of the road, as Spidey suggested, we could use a pickup with a couple people with shop brooms and powerful leafblowers in the spring to clean the roads up as well. /you know, for (ahem!) safety reasons! :)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Get to it now as in a few weeks you won't be able to get to the trash -- SNOW. :roll:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Get to it now as in a few weeks you won't be able to get to the trash -- SNOW. :roll:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

Spiderman
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM
And odds are, multiple cleanups will be required during the spring as late season snowfall & sand will mess things up.

Kinda reminds me of the ice rinks the city set up in the parks when I was a kid... if you wanted to skate or play hockey, you had to shovel the snow yourself!

brennahm
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I'd be happy to drive my pickup for cleanup duty. I'm open during the day. Any day.

aerofaze
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Dirty Southie here who's interested in helping.

JonnyD
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Have little pickup (quad cab dakota) but will drive it for this - and help clean up of course. I'm only avail on weekends though, but any upcoming one (other than this saturday) will work for me!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Ok, I have visitation with my daughter every other weekend, starting Oct 23rd, so that weekend, and every other from then on out won't work for me. Therefore, I was thinking Sat Oct 30th. That way on a Saturday, it wouldn't interfere with either racing or football. Thoughts?

OUTLAWD
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I'm thinking that if this is something we want to do in an official CDOT adopt a highway type program then we'll need a little more planning.

I'm down to pick up trash, but I'd like to see it be an official CDOT type of thing. Having a adopt a highway sign with CSC on it on 7 and deckers and the like would be awesome...but I'm not volunteering for that legwork ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'm down to pick up trash, but I'd like to see it be an official CDOT type of thing. Having a adopt a highway sign with CSC on it on 7 and deckers and the like would be awesome...but I'm not volunteering for that legwork ;)
Well, that would be an awesome goal, but it'd probably be best to take baby steps first. I'm sure we could volunteer to pick up trash without going thru the steps for now.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Well, that would be an awesome goal, but it'd probably be best to take baby steps first. I'm sure we could volunteer to pick up trash without going thru the steps for now.

You had better follow the CDOT outline as there could be nothing but litigation trouble when one of the participants gets into a meth-lab dump spot.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I have a good leaf-blower. Anyone with a side-hack I can sit in while we de-sand the entire road? In spring of course...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM
You had better follow the CDOT outline as there could be nothing but litigation trouble when one of the participants gets into a meth-lab dump spot.

I just sent Cinthia an e-mail telling her that although I'm not sure at this point we want to commit to "adopting" a highway, that we'd be interested in cleaning up some of our favorite front-range roads, perhaps 10/30/2010. I'll advise as I hear back.

Thanks for all the responses and offers guys! You RAWK!

Spiderman
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM
"CDOT will provide a sign crediting the group for volunteering on adopted section of highway."

I think it'd be pretty kick-ass to have an adopt-a-highway sign that had "COLORADO SPORTBIKE CLUB" underneath it!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 05:08 PM
"CDOT will provide a sign crediting the group for volunteering on adopted section of highway."

I think it'd be pretty kick-ass to have an adopt-a-highway sign that had "COLORADO SPORTBIKE CLUB" underneath it!
+1000:D

Cap'n Crunch
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Let us know, CM. If it's on a weekend, I will probably be able to break away for a couple of hours to help out.

Bueller
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM

And a subtitle of:
"When we aren't cleaning it up, we're tearing it up"

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM
And a subtitle of:
"When we aren't cleaning it up, we're tearing it up"
Nice!

R1-Laubinero
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 06:45 PM
we did this in Littlerock i was part of several adopt a road programs---do it on your bike and people understand who's doing it better though-- You still need a chase truck though....I have a 4*8 trailer ill voulnteer-- id help out with the loveland and foco routes---but if we say we're a club on the sign..meh..then we're gonna have all other kindsa crap to deal with-- namley getting other clubs to recognize-- but im willing to bet abate would put thier blessing on this... I've worked for them before
also dont let this be the only thing you do-- habitat for humanity loves bikers too--and so does meals on wheels!

DemonRider
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Let us know also, were in!!!! A++++ props on the idea, my son and wife are willing to help also, family affair , that's cool!!! We also have a Trailblazer with a trailer ( 5 x 8 )

mtnairlover
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm in as well. I like this idea. Good on ya! I will keep an eye out for more info when you get it, Frank.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 08:50 PM
You still need a chase truck though....I have a 4*8 trailer ill voulnteer

I don't believe this is true any longer. As someone said earlier, you pile it in orange bags provided by the state. Then the state comes around and collects the bags sitting along the side of the roadway.

safety, liability, and disposal. Like standing around the shoulder of a canyon road is the safest place to be idling a chase truck and trailer down the road.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 12th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the response and offers guys, you RAWK! I'll post up as soon as I get word back from the "authorities".:D

50sGrl
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Having a adopt a highway sign with CSC on it on 7 and deckers and the like would be awesome...but I'm not volunteering for that legwork ;)

I can do some of the legwork. PM me if I can help.

Aphrodite
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Humn interesting idea, timing would be my issue, right now I am pretty much good but next week might be a different story. So

I'd be good to assist as far as I know, but I will need to watch the timing.

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Let's get the lower section of St Vrain. The part where it really tightens up in the rocks

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I got a reply back, and was told I was being forwarded to the girl who takes care of that area. I'll post as I get info.

And, please don't think we can't have several groups doing this all along the Front Range. I'll post up the e-mail info to get started.

Edit:
Hi Frank,

I would like to refer you to Gina Bussell, the Adopt-A-Highway Coordinator for this area. She will be able to give you a list of available areas on the highways you are interested in and can help you get the paperwork filled out.

Thank you,
Cindy

Cindy Crandall
Plant Maintenance BPX
Colorado Department of Transportation
Maintenance & Operations Branch
15285 S. Golden Road, Bldg 132
303-512-5507 (office)
303-512-5552 (fax)

Nick_Ninja
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Good job C_M :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Good job C_M :up:
Thanks bro, just tryin' to make CO a better place.......to shred!:devil1:

OUTLAWD
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Nice...I used to do this for a enduro club back east. it would generally only take ~4 guys a few hours in the morning to do a couple miles stretch...and that was in NJ...where there is alot more trash ;)

Sarge
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I would be down for whatever, 'cept I'm about 7600 miles away, dealin' with a war that ended Sept 1st...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I would be down for whatever, 'cept I'm about 7600 miles away, dealin' with a war that ended Sept 1st...
Come back safe bro, that'll be the best thing you can do.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 13th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Update: Did 7 from P2P to Lyons this afternoon, and someone's truck recently blew either it's engine or tranny on the way up, because about 4 miles from Lyons in the uphill lane something puked it's fluids everywhere, and unfortunately the guy had to cross the downhill lane to pull over. Watch it if you ride it, and does anyone have any good ideas for us trying to clean that up if we decide to do 7? Thanks!

brennahm
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I think the sentiment is great, but you're starting to overstep your bounds as ordinary citizens. No authority is going to be happy with us in traffic lanes spreading kitty litter or running blowers or anything. Just my .02.

Sean
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I'd help with a clean up crew. Enough people on any given morning and this wouldn't take long at all. :up:

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Interested. Timing will be an issue tho. I do like the idea of riding the bikes up so that people know what's going on and why we're do'n it

mtnairlover
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 08:06 AM
The idea that some of the roads are now having problems with fluids in the middle of turns scares me. I've heard stories of other states where people will pour oil in turns to keep motorcyclists from riding there. Not only do these so-called people have a complete disregard for human life, but they could care less about the environment. The switchbacks by Wondervu have had oil dumped in the turns in the past month or so.

I'm all for cleaning and beautifying and showing how much I care about my environment and for others' lives.

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 08:08 AM
The switchbacks by Wondervu have had oil dumped in the turns in the past month or so.
If people are intentionally dumping oil in the turns, these are the people who need to intentionally have their faces polished...with a baseball bat. :guns:

Sarge
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 08:51 AM
:scream2:
http://steadfastfinances.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/South-Park-rabble-rabble-rabble.jpg
Rabblerabblerabblerabble!!!

Scer
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah I don't know about just showing up with trash bags and picking up. As much as I would like to say that it's a free country, we could be fined for trying to impersonate a civil worker, delaying traffic or some shit like that. Joking..but not really.

Let me know if I can help with anything too Frank. It wouldn't hurt to entertain the idea of working with ABATE and MRA to have a mass clean up day. And put the sign as "motorcyclists that care" or etc.. Would be awesome to see a day where a lot of bikers just go out and clean off some sweeps for everyone.

Just a thought.

clean on cleanas

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 09:12 AM
...And put the sign as "motorcyclists that care" or etc..
"This Highway is Sponsored and Brought to You By:
The Motorcyclists You Just Tried to Run Off The Road"

Sean
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 09:17 AM
:pointlaugh:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM
As for the oil on 7, it was obvious to me what happened, I've seen it before. Something done blowed up. It was obviously not intentional, but just as dangerous.

My primary thought is for OUR safety should we be able to do this. I'm still waiting for feedback from the "authorities" on exactly how we should do it. I can't imagine that we could get in any trouble as long as we're not impeding traffic needlessly, and this would be the only time I think we should be "in" the road cleaning up. If we're off the actual roadway, I can't imagine anyone would or could say anything. Hey, flocks of bicyclists case more traffic problems.

As for people intentionally spreading oil and sand on roads, well, we should have a thread devoted to this if anyone even THINKS that's the case. These people are not only doing something highly illegal, but very dangerous and with malice of forethought. I have no problem paying any people that do this a very special visit.:twisted:

Nick_Ninja
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Ride back up there and get a mile marker so folks can plant that location in their memorybanks. If you know where the location is you can avoid the issue.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Ride back up there and get a mile marker so folks can plant that location in their memorybanks. If you know where the location is you can avoid the issue.
Great idea. I SHOULD have reset my trip2 when I passed it but......I was jamming and lost in the moment.:D I'll be in the area betwen now and then and will remember to do it. I'll measure from Lyons (bottom) up. It was only a few miles, but I'll get the exact mileage.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I haven't heard anything back yet, dammit, but I just sent another e-mail to the last person to contact me. But, I'd still like to do it regardless. Hell, not like we can't supply a box or 2 of garbage bags etc.

Ralph, do you have an banners we can use for the day?

Thanks.