PDA

View Full Version : Real-time document collaberation?

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Google docs has filesize limits I cannot work within. Does anyone have recommendations for other free online collaboration tools?

EDIT: Someone teach me to spel

salsashark
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Google docs has filesize limits I cannot work within. Does anyone have recommendations for other free online collaboration tools?

Chrome and Firefox include spell checkers into the browser... I can't help with the other problem.

birchyboy
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Are you talking about working on Word/Excel files with multiple people at once? What size are the files? Internet or Intranet?

Spiderman
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Nothing fancy here, but...
I do editing for my best friend in Canada. He emails me the documents, and I edit them while we're talking on Skype. We use MSN to bounce wording ideas off each other.

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Are you talking about working on Word/Excel files with multiple people at once? What size are the files? Internet or Intranet?

Browser-based internet. .docx file is currently almost 3MB(may grow to about 10MB) with a 500kB per file upload limit on converted files; converting is required for all to be able to edit real time.

Sarge
Thu Oct 14th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Not *free* (but you can get it) Office Sharepoint Workstation or Office Groove, which is included in the Professional or better editions. Probably the best software for doing this, might be worth at least looking up the torrent.

Here's a list of free/open source applications:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collaborative_software

TFOGGuys
Fri Oct 15th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Nothing fancy here, but...
I do editing for my best friend in Canada. He emails me the documents, and I edit them while we're talking on Skype. We use MSN to bounce wording ideas off each other.

Bob, that might work for pr0n scripts, but what about the serious work? :lol:

kalibra
Sat Oct 16th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I learned how to spell in school.....just saying !

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Oct 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I learned how to spell in school.....just saying !

I was too busy with girls, guitar, and science to worry about spelling. This was before computers in school. By the time I had to spell correctly for business, I had spell-check to worry about the details. I noticed the red squiggly in the title as I was clicking submit. And that's the way it was, that day in history. :D

So we're using Zoho writer right now but it has issues. At least the filesize isn't an issue and we can work on the text together. Graphs, charts, and diagrams will have to be output as .jpeg later instead of embedded and instantly modified by changing the original file.

rforsythe
Sun Oct 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Screen sharing using something like WebEx? Either person can control the desktop (with the permissions set) and work in the actual application.

Zach929rr
Sun Oct 17th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Team viewer.

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Oct 17th, 2010, 10:27 AM
It, the editor, cannot be local software because we all use multiple computers throughout the day depending on where we are. Web-based is the solution. A robust editor with linked MS office files would be nice. A chart from Excel, a diagram from Visio... those kind of things.

rforsythe
Sun Oct 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I doubt it exists for free.