PDA

View Full Version : New RSV4 APRC SE

Sarge
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I know I've been whoring this thing around here like it's paying the rent, but wow: :bow:

http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/aprilia-rsv4-aprc-se-wheelie-launch-traction-control.jpg

In response to the new Kawi, Aprilia came up with this number. Traction Control, Wheelie Control, Electronic Quickshifter and even a new feature called Launch Control.

Basically, you yank the throttle wide open, release the clutch like normal, and hold on for dear life!

The new Aprilia Launch Control system - another world first on a production roadbike. Launching a motorcycle is another one of the many skills that have become redundant in top level racing in recent years; MotoGP and SBK racers merely engage their electronics, hold the throttle wide open and clutch it out to get going at maximum speed. The RSV4 APRC SE now offers a similar system, 3-way adjustable, for "race use only." Hold down both traction control buttons at a standstill to arm the launch control system, then whack the throttle wide open and release the clutch normally. The launch control system manages revs for the optimal race start, or a guaranteed win at the traffic light drags.

http://www.gizmag.com/aprilia-rsv4-factory-aprc-se-traction-wheelie-launch-control/16585/ (http://www.gizmag.com/aprilia-rsv4-factory-aprc-se-traction-wheelie-launch-control/16585/)

I have seen the future, and it is good. :cool:

-Sarge

chronicboy
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 06:52 AM
the only thing i dont like about that bike is: i dont have one

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 07:00 AM
You would think that as much as the bike will cost they can come up with a better looking pipe.

Sarge
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I try to ignore it. :loop:

Matty
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Not impressed.

Depths_of_Mind
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I just had a lil accident in mah pants.

V4whore
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 08:01 AM
You would think that as much as the bike will cost they can come up with a better looking pipe.

Emission and noise controls have, for the most part, ensured that every manufactorer will be forced to continue with this ugly chimney trend. I can't think of a modern machine that doen't need an aftermarket can. The U.S. RSV4 is restrained enough to cause a 25hp drop through the low-mids; which is easily retrieved with a new pipe and a PC5.

I don't know about the APRC version, but I hope to have an RSV4 in my garage by spring.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/iang27/IMG_0299.jpg

asp_125
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 08:21 AM
:up: Mmmmm twins... I haz a happy in da pants

Bueller
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Wow! Pretty soon I will be able to ride a motorcycle with zero skills.

Enough with the electronics already, I would never own a bike that has that much control.

asp_125
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Wow! Pretty soon I will be able to ride a motorcycle with zero skills..

I should start planning for my entry to MotoGP then. :D

The question is, do rider aids make an average rider better, or a good rider faster? ABS, traction control, adjustable fuel maps, quick shifters, even fuel injection and hydraulic brakes.

If racing wasn't the development of new technologies and the trickle down effect to production bikes, we'd be happy to putt around on carb'd bikes with kick starts and drum brakes wouldn't we?

Discuss.

TFOGGuys
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Rossi has made the argument for reducing electronic aids in Moto GP, basically saying that they make lesser riders more competitive than they would be if they had to "ride" the bikes for themselves. On the other hand, it still takes huge talent to reach that level, and it makes for closer racing. I for one think that the emerging tech is basically a good thing, making riding a safer sport for pretty much all of us who are NOT Valentino Rossi, but the option should be there to turn it off....

Sarge
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Yay! I was hoping to get this sort of thread going with my original post. I just forgot to ask the question...

I'd have to say that yes, ABS, TC and all that is the future. I've read a ton of reviews/interviews about the new BMW, etc with all of its ABS and traction control and it's definitely the future of racing, and does make things safer. Sure, it takes a lot of "control" away from the driver, but does it really do it in such a bad way? I know things are pushing 200+ MPH these days, but do you think any human being will ever be able to push 300+ MPH without ABS and traction control? Is it even physically possible to react to a rear slid or a brake lockup at those speeds?

One of the biggest things that riders are commenting on about TC is that they can actually pin the throttle the entire way through turns, and not have to worry about losing the rear, which helps them go faster.

I know a big argument about all of this is the LACK of control, but I really feel these systems inspire confidence and allow both advanced and inexperienced riders more control. Sure, the best of us can feel a slip or a lock up, and respond accordingly, but do any of us really think we can do it faster than a computer?

Also, remember most of these systems have several levels of functionality. The BMW system, for instance, differs the amount of TV and wheelie control based on lean angle, and the degree of lean angle is based on the engine map setting, ie Track or Road, so there's a setting that allows you to wheelie all day, until you break a 30 degree lean angle, and another mode that will only allow you to wheel to the balance point, and not beyond, and the configurations really just get wild from then on.

To top it off though, these things can be disabled and enabled on the fly, while riding, and offer difference levels of customization. Call me new school or whatever, but I think these computers are going to revolutionize motorcycles in the future, and allow more of us "average" street riders to ride both faster and safer.

Just a note though: Most of these MotoGP bikes don't actually use ABS, and that's why Aprilia hasn't added it to the RSV4 just yet, but you can almost compare the argument against ABS to the one against helmets. Sure, in an EXTREMELY small percentage of crashes, a helmet might do more damage than good in almost random situations, but is it really not worth wearing? ABS can potentially save even the most experienced rider from an oil slick in a blind corner, or in an emergency braking situation. Imagine actually being able to yank the front brake and NOT be worried about either locking up or doing a stoppy, especially on a wet road in inclement weather.

asp_125
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM
To be honest even though my 600 has three different power modes to select from, I've never used them other than curiosity initally to feel the difference. I've left it on the full mode since day one.

I agree that TC etc, is good but having the option to turn it off is better.

salsashark
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 10:14 AM
To be honest even though my 600 has three different power modes to select from, I've never used them other than curiosity initally to feel the difference. I've left it on the full mode since day one.

I agree that TC etc, is good but having the option to turn it off is better.

Agreed... somewhat...

When I bought the Multistrada, I had to try out all the modes, suspension tweaks, etc... Still need to go find a good fire road somewhere to play on...

Now, it's basically toggled between sport and urban depending on whether or not I'm going to work or going to play.

MetaLord 9
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Technology that helps you tune the bike's performance to your needs and wants is great. Tech that makes last second adjustments for safety is ok. Tech that removes the opportunity/necessity to learn & improve is bad.

And I get that a lot of it is how you use the tech, but give too many people the opportunity to be lazy and skip learning, and you'll see a lot more summers like this past one. It's the pucker moments that you learn from, not the one where technology seamlessly saved your ass from a stupid mistake.

It's like the sensors in cars that automatically slow the car down if you're about to hit someone. You shouldn't ever need that, so it should be superfluous to add it. If you come to rely on something like that, one day, when it fails, you'll be in dire straights and not know why. (and you'll probably blame it on the system's failure and not your own inability to pay attention to the road)

Not everyone can or should ride motorcycles. That's the way it is. I wish they'd stop trying to make vehicles idiot proof. It's one of the things that keeps the idiots on the road.

GuitarX
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I know I've been whoring this thing around here like it's paying the rent, but wow: :bow:

http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/aprilia-rsv4-aprc-se-wheelie-launch-traction-control.jpg

-Sarge

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I've been drooling over this puppy since it was announced. I'm guessing the price will be up near the $30k range but you never know. So it's not really competition for the much less expensive BMW but IMHO it's a much cooler bike, if not just for the exotic and more rare appeal.

As for the electronics argument, I'm not going to get caught in that rat trap. Suffice it to say I think evolution is a natural process and this is the logical next step. Yes, it may even up the playing field at the top levels of racing and some inhuman riders may not like that (i.e. Rossi), but saying this is not good for us lowly street riders is like saying you'd wish they'd never introduced upside-down forks, disc brakes, and fuel injection.

The old timers will always resist change, even if it's for the better. The argument that the electronics moves away from rider skills is kind of ridiculous. Bikes are much more tied in to the human rider than a car is. Riders will still need to know how to balance and steer, brake and accelerate. The machines will just be more forgiving. Don't worry, you'll still be able to make all the typical rider errors and kill yourself, so the fun factor will still be there. :squid:

Personally I can't wait to own a "next-gen" bike (and I'm a FOG myself!).

Saving my pennies...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM
These electronic safety nets are great for the street in our rapidly-changing and sometimes nasty conditions, but I still believe the racers should do it all manually.