PDA

View Full Version : Startup Troubleshooting: 07 CBR 600

sky_blue
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 03:14 PM
07 Honda CBR 600RR with 13,xxx miles.

Today around noon, the Honda didn't want to start. The engine turned over hard and fast with the starter-- but no fire until I gave it a little gas.

Let it idle for a minute and twisted the throttle and it died.

Started it back up with a little gas, let it run for a few and rode it. Runs fine.

Can hear the fuel pump cycle when I turn on the electrical.

Maybe it's just a little bit of icky gasoline I need to blow through? I'm just wondering because I've never done anything to this bike other than fluid changes and a new battery. I only have a general understanding of the magic going on beneath those fairings. Do I need new spark plugs? Something else?

Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM
at 13k you are probably past due for your first spark plug change. could be bad gas, especially if you were running low at the time. start with a tune up (air filter, oil & filter, plugs) if you havent already.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
at 13k you are probably past due for your first spark plug change. could be bad gas, especially if you were running low at the time. start with a tune up (air filter, oil & filter, plugs) if you havent already.

^^what he said. probably double past your mileage for a spark plug change. coupled with the yucky humidity today, bad gas, etc... :boom:

brennahm
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Bad gas. Unless you're one of those morons who runs their bike once a week for 15 minutes all winter your plugs should be fine.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I see a post on the 600rr forum says plugs at 15k. My Shadow lists at 7500.

could be nothing at all. earlier this year, my diesel truck died right after startup and didn't want to restart. turned the key off, waited a minute, restarted and never had another incident since. Maybe the gremlins just confused the computer for a minute. Stop looking at other sexy bikes or surfing pr0n on your bike and you'll be fine.

seven
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM
That seems to be a problem with them. I've had it happen a few times. Mine has been after I've started it for a few seconds and then shut it back off. The next time I try to start it, it doesn't start right away, until I give it a little gas. I know of at least one other 07 that has done the same thing. The first time it happened to me was when it was fairly new, so I don't think it's a mileage issue.

I don't have an answer for you, I just know that you're not alone. I've checked on other forums as well, and haven't found any good answers, so I hope you come up with something!

Sleev
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 06:27 PM
if the plugs are fouling you would notice it in other situations, like low speeds. At least that was my experience with my older cbr

brennahm
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM
^+1

And yes they recommend plugs, but they're niether necessary nor something you want to be doing on one of those CBRs.

Ricky
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Honda 2007 manual states every 16k for plug INSPECTION and every 32k for replacement.

I know that a bad/no maf sensor reading can cause those situations where it'll fire, but not idle without throttle intervention.