PDA

View Full Version : Hunters?

Wrider
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 09:33 PM
How many hunters do we have here?
What do you hunt?
Preferred method?
Going/gone this year so far?

I just went this weekend for the first time in years and managed to bring down a 3x3 bull during first rifle with my .270.
9 AM on opening morning, dropped 15 feet from the road. Doesn't get much better than that...

JohnEffinK
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Yup.

Mostly a bowhunter.

Broke down this year - tag for cow elk with muzzleloader. Score.

Bowhunt in Missouri early Nov every year for a week.

Late antelope in Dec with rifle.

I dont have to buy beef if I dont want to.

John

R1-Laubinero
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 10:08 PM
quail ! barreta gas fed .12 guage shot gun..they dont do that here is my guess though...miss arkansas for that

dallas
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I am prepping for a whitetail hunt down in SE Colorado. Elk mid November and a whole bunch of birds in between.

<-----This would be my bird hunting partner although she is about 50 lbs heavier and 1 1/2 years old.

Wrider
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM
quail ! barreta gas fed .12 guage shot gun..they dont do that here is my guess though...miss arkansas for that

Don't have many quail, but you should go grouse hunting. Very similar but larger targets.

dallas
Mon Oct 18th, 2010, 11:41 PM
There are plenty of quail in SE Colorado. You just need to know where to look........... I busted a couple covey of them while dove hunting.

chad23
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 08:07 AM
big game with a stick a string and anything that flies. mainly waterfowl

rforsythe
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Have done pheasant, may try larger things like elk at some point. I need some grouse for a recipe I want to make too, so I will have to go acquire a few of those soon.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I have never hunted. But always interested in trying new things. Is Jan-Feb hunting season for anything? Its right after I get back from Iraq and I will have a lot of free time on my hands.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
What do you hunt?
Preferred method?

I just went this weekend for the first time in years and managed to bring down a 3x3 bull during first rifle with my .270.
9 AM on opening morning, dropped 15 feet from the road. Doesn't get much better than that...

Elk and Deer archery. Where I hunt there's an antler restriction of 4x4 or 5" brow tine. Got within 20yrs of a herd of 15 elk and got busted. Got within 60 yards or so of the bull but couldn't get a shot.

Scored51
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Has anybody done the annual 1-day prairie dog hunt up in Wyoming?

R1-Laubinero
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM
There are plenty of quail in SE Colorado. You just need to know where to look........... I busted a couple covey of them while dove hunting.
I love to dove hunt too..tasty...where's agood place for that?

dallas
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
There is a pretty good walk in area on the north side of Rocky Ford. The only shitty part about bird hunting now is all the farmers/ranchers lease out their land to hunters for insane amounts of money. I was born and raised in SE Colorado so I know a few land owners still, but it is still 3 hours from the south side of the Springs so it is more of a weekend deal.

Survivalism
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Headed out this friday to do a little bow hunting with my dad in Illinois, should hit the rut right on the head its looking like.

Bring on the deer meat!!

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 12:40 PM
There is a pretty good walk in area on the north side of Rocky Ford. The only shitty part about bird hunting now is all the farmers/ranchers lease out their land to hunters for insane amounts of money. I was born and raised in SE Colorado so I know a few land owners still, but it is still 3 hours from the south side of the Springs so it is more of a weekend deal.

hunting on the wing has all but turned into the rich man's sport

jbnwc
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 01:41 PM
+1

What do you hunt?
bunnies mostly; poor defenseless ones

Preferred method?
Pumpmaster 760 - $30 at Walmart

At least 6 times so far this year; all within my own backyard.

:loop:

Neb954
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Cool to see people travel other states for game..

Deer, bow and arrow and ML
Next year hopefully elk/cow with bow out west.
However waterfowl for me is just plain fun though! If your in the marsh sitting on 5gallon buckets or sitting in the boat with heat on it's fun.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I don't hunt, but I 100% support hunter's rights.

rforsythe
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I don't hunt, but I 100% support hunter's rights.

If Frank was a hunter...

brennahm
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
So how does one go about getting into hunting. My dad used to go when I was a kid, but by the time I was old enough we'd moved to Florida where the hunters shoot each other and deer are the size of german shepherds.

Always kinda wanted to give it a try.

Wrider
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Talk to any of us, we'll help ya out with what we can!

JohnEffinK
Tue Oct 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM
true dat what Wrider said.

Willing to help where I can.

John

dallas
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM
First step, take the hunter's safety course.
Step two, buy gun/bow, ammo/arrows and hunting license.
Third step, go kill something (legally).

Sully
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 08:06 AM
And avoid the Remington 700 series rifle. News reported that they tend to go off on their own :(

jbnwc
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
So how does one go about getting into hunting. My dad used to go when I was a kid, but by the time I was old enough we'd moved to Florida where the hunters shoot each other and deer are the size of german shepherds.

Always kinda wanted to give it a try.

Find a friend who hunts and hang out with them regularly. You'll be hunting in no time!

jbnwc
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 08:09 AM
And avoid the Remington 700 series rifle. News reported that they tend to go off on their own :(

That's kinda crazy since that's like the world's most popular hunting rifle.

Wrider
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 08:41 AM
That's kinda crazy since that's like the world's most popular hunting rifle.

Not to mention it's used as the base for sniper rifles.

Sully
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 08:50 AM
They had a segment about it on the Today show this morning. You can also find the info on the internet. I am sure those non believers might benefit from talking to those people whose rifle shot them in the leg, or has killed their son, brother or dad by a defective trigger. I am not a hunter nor do I own a rifle, just reporting the news :)

Mista Black
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I'm holding out. Eventually Sortirican is gonna sell me one of his .30-06s and I'll start Elk hunting.

rforsythe
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM
They had a segment about it on the Today show this morning. You can also find the info on the internet. I am sure those non believers might benefit from talking to those people whose rifle shot them in the leg, or has killed their son, brother or dad by a defective trigger. I am not a hunter nor do I own a rifle, just reporting the news :)

Perhaps a link to the actual news article, vs a soundbyte? :)

Guns rarely just "go off", especially if they are handled properly (meaning you only take the safety off when you are *ready to shoot*), and the R700 is one of the most widely used rifles period. Was there some reported QC issue with the trigger where it would release suddenly, or what? Was this with the safety off (i.e. in a ready to shoot configuration), or safety on (which would be much, much worse)?

If someone had a loaded, unsafetied weapon pointed at anything other than what they were prepared to kill right then, regardless of trigger issues, they are stupid. That is gun handling cardinal sin #1. If it was safetied and still fired that's only marginally less bad on the part of the person holding it. Always assume a weapon is loaded, and never ever point the barrel at anything you don't intend to make very dead, period. This is first page material from any hunters safety, CCW, or gun class of any kind.

salsashark
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:28 AM
^^ Here's what Sully was referring to: http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:35 AM
If Frank was a hunter...
Hah! That wouldn't be fair to my prey to have a knife. I'd just stalk them and gnaw them to death......:twisted:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Perhaps a link to the actual news article, vs a soundbyte? :)

Guns rarely just "go off", especially if they are handled properly (meaning you only take the safety off when you are *ready to shoot*), and the R700 is one of the most widely used rifles period. Was there some reported QC issue with the trigger where it would release suddenly, or what? Was this with the safety off (i.e. in a ready to shoot configuration), or safety on (which would be much, much worse)?

If someone had a loaded, unsafetied weapon pointed at anything other than what they were prepared to kill right then, regardless of trigger issues, they are stupid. That is gun handling cardinal sin #1. If it was safetied and still fired that's only marginally less bad on the part of the person holding it. Always assume a weapon is loaded, and never ever point the barrel at anything you don't intend to make very dead, period. This is first page material from any hunters safety, CCW, or gun class of any kind.
Even then it's not 100% safe. My friend almost died/lost his leg back in the '80's when he father in law tripped and fell on some rocks while hiking behind him. The .30-06 went off when he hit the ground, and it shot Mike (Wagner, older brother of the guy that owns coyote Motorsports) at close range thru the right femur. Totally shattered it and damn near blew his leg off. You can't be too safe with guns guys.

salsashark
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Even then it's not 100% safe. My friend almost died/lost his leg back in the '80's when he father in law tripped and fell on some rocks while hiking behind him. The .30-06 went off when he hit the ground, and it shot Mike (Wagner, older brother of the guy that owns coyote Motorsports) at close range thru the right femur. Totally shattered it and damn near blew his leg off. You can't be too safe with guns guys.

See... that's why I drink a lot before handling fire arms. I mean, when you see a car accident between a drunk and a sober person, who is more likely to be hurt? That's right, the sober person is heading off to the hospital (or morgue) while Mr. drunkey is wondering why their car won't start... :cheers:

rforsythe
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
^^ Here's what Sully was referring to: http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/

Ah, thanks. From that it certainly sounds like there is some flaw, so who knows. I still think the popularity of the rifle speaks for itself, but maybe there is something larger going on.

In any event, there are also a number of other platforms one can shoot. I have a Remington .270 bolt-action, for example, that is low cost, accurate, and a great rifle. Not quite the punch of the .308, but ammo selection is also based on what you're going after. My .308 SASS would be able to take down elk at several hundred yards, if I can ever manage to get optics on the thing.

Exactly. Why was it loaded to begin with though? I know a lot of hunters like to chamber a round and rely on the safety to protect them, however that is just plain stupid. Safeties do not always fully block the pin, sometimes they just prevent the trigger from releasing the hammer (or block the hammer from the pin). This means you can still drop-fire the gun. The risk of an accidental fire IMO is not worth saving a few seconds to chamber the round once you're ready to fire.

Mista Black
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
“I went to the funeral home and looked Gus right square in the eye and I said, ‘Son, it ends here and now’,” Barber said. He would devote the next ten years to finding answers about what caused his son’s death, and is sharing much of his findings for the first time.

What killed his son is his wife was unloading the gun with it pointed at the kid. She shot him. She killed him. He's dead because of her. No way around it. The fact that she and her husband don't want to see it that way is completely understandable, but fact is, if the gun hadn't been pointed at the kid than the kid would almost certainly still be here.

I'm with Ralph on this one.

salsashark
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Exactly. Why was it loaded to begin with though? I know a lot of hunters like to chamber a round and rely on the safety to protect them, however that is just plain stupid. Safeties do not always fully block the pin, sometimes they just prevent the trigger from releasing the hammer (or block the hammer from the pin). This means you can still drop-fire the gun. The risk of an accidental fire IMO is not worth saving a few seconds to chamber the round once you're ready to fire.

OK... back to reality... this was my thought. I know the one time I went hunting, we carried the rifles un-chambered. It wasn't until we set up to wait that we chambered rounds...

I think that was even hunter's education 101. Along w/ don't point a gun at anything you're not willing to kill... ever...

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
What killed his son is his wife was unloading the gun with it pointed at the kid. She shot him. She killed him. He's dead because of her. No way around it. The fact that she and her husband don't want to see it that way is completely understandable, but fact is, if the gun hadn't been pointed at the kid than the kid would almost certainly still be here.

I'm with Ralph on this one.You took the words right out of my mouth. If Mom wasn't pointing the rifle at the kid, he'd still be alive. The parents should be charged with reckless endangerment resulting in death. Fuckin' stupid ass people!!!

I de-cock my 1911 probably twenty times a day. It is always pointed at the floor at the rear of my dining room. Someday I might shoot a hole from my dining room into my basement, but it will never hit Kim!!!!!!!!! I don't think a hydra-shok would penetrate that far anyway...

rforsythe
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM
To the person wanting to know how to get into hunting, this page of this thread is a good place to start. Safety is how you start with hunting. Learn it and live it, or die from ignoring it, it's that simple. There is an unbelievably huge number of people out there who think it's just a disclaimer on a package someone had to write, and don't seem to understand that guns exist to do one thing, and they do it well. Handling them with anything other than the utmost respect and knowledge is a potentially fatal mistake. Start with knowing how to do that part right before you ever touch one, and the rest of your foray into firearms, hunting, target shooting, or whatever else you do will be solid.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Ah, thanks. From that it certainly sounds like there is some flaw, so who knows. I still think the popularity of the rifle speaks for itself, but maybe there is something larger going on.

In any event, there are also a number of other platforms one can shoot. I have a Remington .270 bolt-action, for example, that is low cost, accurate, and a great rifle. Not quite the punch of the .308, but ammo selection is also based on what you're going after. My .308 SASS would be able to take down elk at several hundred yards, if I can ever manage to get optics on the thing.

Well, considering it was Mike's father in law........maybe it WASN'T an accident?:D (I used to bust his ballz about that.) I dunno why it was loaded, maybe they thought they might be able to get a shot at some Elk from there. Stupid, regardless.

Wrider
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I carry a rifle loaded as I walk along hunting. First off my safety does block the pin from being released, and secondly my action is way too loud for cocking once I do see an animal. Plus most of my hunting is while walking, sitting is only for the morning and evenings. I've never known anyone to load their rifles only after seeing an animal, and that is from many many friends and family that hunt.

My uncle still hunts with his M1 Garand that they let him keep after Korea. It's misfired twice on him (fired even when the safety is on and he was walking along) but he always keeps it pointed in a safe direction so it just scared him.

As far as blaming the mom for the accident, guys come on. How many of you have never accidentally pointed a gun at someone? How do you know for certain? How often have you been glassing a field and seen another hunter through your scope? (yes I know what binoculars are, and I use them, but a lot of people don't).

Now back to the original intent of this thread, who here hunts what and with what?

Shea
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
A gun is not a toy. You never point a weapon at something you wouldn't be willing to kill, regardless of whether it is loaded, unloaded, safety on or off....or put simply EVER. No a flipping hard concept to grasp...