PDA

View Full Version : How should a track suit fit?

PinkGixx26
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hi,
I'm in the market for a track suit and am hearing different things about how it should fit.
Should it be really snug? One sales person told me snug to the point where you feel like you're about to pass out. Or can it be a little loose? I've found a few used ones that I like but they would all be loose by a few inches. Would that be OK or would it be a waste of money?
Also, what's better?
Speed hump or no speed hump?
Thanks,
Claudia

asp_125
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Tight enough so that you can't wear a heavy sweatshirt underneath. If you are turning blue and gasping for air, it's too tight. If you have to inhale to zip it, it's probably right. The main thing is that when you grab the armor and try to rotate it around your knees and elbows, it doesn't move out of place.

Keep in mind if you wear a back protector it will take up some of the room. For track only, I'd go tighter. For street / track, you want a little more room.

dragos13
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Easy answer first: Speed hump is great for aerodynamics and has also been shown to assist when you crash. It keeps your back a little more firm, and gives extra padding if you were to come down on your backside.

As for fitting, I personally say as tight as possible. I have crash tested many suits and when they are loose, the suit tends to shift or move more leaving more "road rash" underneath. I wear a size 40 US and have seen guys smaller than me in larger suits. I can tell you from my crashes this year, there was absolutely no damage under the suit. That includes a good tumble in Pueblo.

So, make sure the suit is snug. Usually, you can get away with an "off the shelf" suit for basic trackdays and canyon carving. If you find a suit that fits great in all aspects but maybe a little loose in a place or two, you can have them altered locally for pretty cheap. As for a couple inches loose, that is WAY too much.

To put it in perspective, you generally want to "need" help getting it on and off. Also, go with a good known brand and a decent level. Don't get the super cheap or lowest level suits as they will fit like crap.

Remember, its all about being comfortable while in a riding position so even if it feels super tight when standing up (being a guy, lets just say it kind of crushes the jewels) it might fit perfect when on the bike. That is the important thing.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Hi,
Should it be really snug? One sales person told me snug to the point where you feel like you're about to pass out. Or can it be a little loose? I've found a few used ones that I like but they would all be loose by a few inches. Would that be OK or would it be a waste of money?
Also, what's better?
Speed hump or no speed hump?
Thanks,
Claudia

You want it snug enough so it doesnt move around as Casey points out, but not so snug it cuts off your circulation. I don't want to slam the local sales people since they do work hard, but almost all of them are motocross guys and have no clue about roadracing or how a suit should fit. You can use a suit that is a little loose and there are two very good local people that do leather alterations that everyone in the MRA uses. If it's a little too loose they can take it in for you or shorten the arm/pant length if necessary.

PinkGixx26
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Wow guys...this is helping me ALOT! I think I'll go for the Spidi suit that is a touch too big in a couple places. Especially since I now know that it can be altered. But who knows....it may not even need to be once I have a spine protector on underneath.
Anybody have one in a size small for sale??
Thank you for your help!
Maybe I'll see you at a Chicane track day next yr. (I'll be the slow beginner on a black 250 ninja that everyone will be passing). LOL
Claudia

dragos13
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Spidi is a great choice 8) I've tested that suit several times...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2681/135/123/1635256628/n1635256628_200703_7864182.jpg

PinkGixx26
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
SWEET!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Well, is it for track only, or both? I have a 2-pc Alpinestars I LOVE, it's (luckily) the largest off-the-rack size they make, and it fits almost perfect. I always wear my thin REI thermals underneath, even in summer on long rides, they absorb sweat and make it more comfortable and easy to get in and out of the suit. I can also in winter wear a little heavier shirt on top of my thermals and it fits fine. Plus, I can wear just the jacket.

Of course, as I guy, I'd say if you've got a nice figure, it should be as tight as possible!:D

asp_125
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Moose knuckes or camel toe when trying to stand straight. And don't forget the slimming effect of tight leathers. :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Moose knuckes or camel toe when trying to stand straight. And don't forget the slimming effect of tight leathers. :up:
Camel Toe-good. Moose Knuckle........not so much.....:bigeyes:

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Oct 20th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Well, is it for track only, or both? I have a 2-pc Alpinestars I LOVE, it's (luckily) the largest off-the-rack size they make, and it fits almost perfect. I always wear my thin REI thermals underneath, even in summer on long rides, they absorb sweat and make it more comfortable and easy to get in and out of the suit. I can also in winter wear a little heavier shirt on top of my thermals and it fits fine. Plus, I can wear just the jacket.

Of course, as I guy, I'd say if you've got a nice figure, it should be as tight as possible!:D
Two truths.

I need to try and find an XXXL relaxed fit AStars jacket to see if it will work. Tried a XXL Relaxed fit and a XXXL Sport fit and they had the same (lack of beer) belly room... that is... not enough.

PinkGixx26
Fri Oct 29th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Got my Spidi suit today!! I love it. It is a little bit big in some areas though. Could any of you give me the numbers of where I could have it altered?
Thanks again for all your help!!
Claudia

cdbouncer
Fri Oct 29th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Pics pics pics!!!!! :jawdrop:

dragos13
Fri Oct 29th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Kris Hillman 720-338-7574

PinkGixx26
Fri Oct 29th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks!!

dragos13
Fri Oct 29th, 2010, 10:13 AM
You're welcome :)

Scored51
Fri Oct 29th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Easy answer first: Speed hump is great for aerodynamics and has also been shown to assist when you crash. It keeps your back a little more firm, and gives extra padding if you were to come down on your backside.

I've heard the downside to the hump is that it interferes with the paramedics when they need to strap you to a backboard. Removal by whatever means is the only option, and there are few suits now made without it.

UglyDogRacing
Fri Oct 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Got my Spidi suit today!! I love it. It is a little bit big in some areas though. Could any of you give me the numbers of where I could have it altered?
Thanks again for all your help!!
Claudia

Claudia try Nate Butler in Lakewood - 3032334578 or mobile 7202432059. He does great work.