PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressors

Ricky
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
What do you guys recommend as far as a good air compressor goes? My last two have been the biggest pieces of shit, and I don't want to drop another $200 only for it to crap out on me a year later.

I've looked everywhere locally, and in some cases it seems that spending upwards of $400 is going to get me twice the compressor, but also a much higher quality one (i.e. not made in China)

Everything I've read about every chinese manufactured compressor, is so hit or miss. You either get one that works well, or you get a POS that you have to return several times before getting a good one.

My last compressor, I returned 3 different times, then it lasted 18 months. Made in china (Bostitch). I used it to fill tires, and the occasional nail shot and computer blow out. Otherwise, very low use. It was oil-free, so I think I'm leaning towards an oiled compressor this time. But I've read a lot of reviews that state they suck just as badly in some cases.

What do you guys suggest?

salsashark
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 11:56 AM
I've had one of these for about 6 years now and it's done everything I need...

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/oil-compressors/3-hp-21-gallon-115-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-94667.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_3015.jpg

The only time I had a problem was when I had it in the back of my truck (driving around and winterizing sprinkler systems) and the temp outside was below freezing the oil got too thick and kept tripping the built in breaker. I had to borrow hair driers to warm the motor and oil up so it would pump.

Other then that... tires, tools, sprinkler blow outs, whatever... hasn't let me down yet.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Campbell Hausfeld still supports manufacturing and jobs in the US. Lasts I checked anyway. Kentucky I believe. Depending on the product, I think there is manufacturing in China as well.

Anything Harbor Freight = your dollars to China

salsashark
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 12:33 PM
^^ Ummm... CH (http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/XWhereToBuy?storeId=10051&catalogId=10001) lists Harbor Freight as one of their retailers...

All I know is that my AC has done everything I need it to, and it was a fraction of what a smaller compressor costs at Sears/Home Depot/Lowes...

sloridr
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 12:42 PM
Rigid twin horizontal tank compressor from home depot $249.00. I've talked to a couple air tool repair guys and the say its the shit. It is oilless as well. Oh and its made by ingorsall Rand. That will be my next compressor Fo sho!

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 12:43 PM
^^ Ummm... CH (http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/XWhereToBuy?storeId=10051&catalogId=10001) lists Harbor Freight as one of their retailers...

Depending on the product, I think there is manufacturing in China as well.

Anything Harbor Freight = your dollars to China

Not unexpected

Scored51
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM
What do you guys recommend as far as a good air compressor goes? ...I think I'm leaning towards an oiled compressor this time.

I would recommend doing so. Generally speaking, you'll have a cast iron pump that is serviceable (even if it's just to change the oil) and will be quieter. I haven't seen many large, heavy duty compressors being made with aluminum pumps. It can be hit or miss with the quality due to the price point. I'm not saying that you won't find a good one, but a heavy duty shop compressor that needs to be as reliable as the electricity supply are multiple times more expensive than a light duty hobbyist model of similar size sold at hardware stores and the like.

Ghettodsm
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM
oilless = cheaper/louder/more expensive to fix (im my exp)

oil compressor are great for home use and are what all the shops use that i've been in. They use a big hp big tank combo, usually dual motor/belt driven setup.

If you don't have 220v you are limited. basically look for anything that is 6-7 cfm at 90 psi. This will run just about any air tool you can throw at it besides the pro stuff. I have nothing but good to say from my dads and my craftsman air compressor(both the pro series). I got mine on craigslist about 2 years for around 300 bucks. Looks like this http://images.craigslist.org/3o73p63l35X45S35R5a7d48b8a2bb7cc618df.jpg

Also as far as getting something made in usa, choices are slim unless you want to spend a good deal of money. The industrial units are still american made but it gets tricky because some are assembled here but have parts from all over. Tank might be made her, compressor is from china, electronics from india, etc. I would stick with a name brand though. From what I've heard the off brand / us general / harbor freight brands can be a headache. Good luck!

Ricky
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 01:18 PM
Rigid twin horizontal tank compressor from home depot $249.00. I've talked to a couple air tool repair guys and the say its the shit. It is oilless as well. Oh and its made by ingorsall Rand. That will be my next compressor Fo sho!

This is the compressor they rent out at Home Depot. I rented one once, and it was pretty damn good.

I think I may end up buying one at the right price, and getting a warranty on it. Then it'll be guaranteed to never fail, since I bought the warranty :lol:

dchd1130
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Ive got one of these at my house, and at one of my shops. The one at the shop is about 6 years old and runs every day. Ive never had a problem with it.
http://www.toolsource.com/prod_medium/97670.jpg
The one at my house ist them Maxus version. The one at the shop is Cambel hausfeld. Same machine different paint. When I bought the one at the house it was $400. Now it looks like its about $600

Ricky
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
One I'm looking at closely:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/41/410ebbaa-785c-4550-9db4-42da14274f79_300.jpg
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhf/R-100063473/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Has a 4 year warranty included... And specifically says "American made CAST IRON pump", and it looks to be CH made. Just want to make sure it's worth the $450+

Davy4575
Thu Oct 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM
As a contractor, my life depends on my airtools so.,.

Really depends on the application youre using it for. For a shop comp, you want a big upright, that pumps out lots of cfms at low to mid pressure. If you want to take it on the road anywhere, you want a twin tank jobsite compressor, high psi, but not very decent cfm (not as good for impact wrenches and dont try painting with it). How frequently you use it, drain it and take care of it makes a difference as to how it will treat you. Ingersoll-Rand, Rollair and Emglo are the best of the best. I had an Emglo twin tank that was going on 17 years of continious use, beatings, dropped from the truck. The only thing I did was replace the impellar fins with aluminum and replace the condenser line. On the other hand, I bought a cheap Husky and it broke within 3 uses. Rigid's are ok, not as good as a regular IR tho. Craftsmans are overpriced, but work well enough. Our old shop comp is an 11 year old CM with no issues.

I have the hokey-dokey china model from HF right now for a shop unit, because If it goes, I can just replace the components (almost all compressor heads, rings and rods of similar displacement will fit eachother) with a defunct dewalt unit. Dewalt bought out Emglo, pretty damn good comps too. My last one lasted me 9 years (two rebuilds). Go to mountain states fastners, or order online direct from the manufacturer. I currently have 5 comps of diferent size. Oiless only for small light duty jobs.

GixxerCarrie
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
There are also Harbor Freight coupons for 20% off online, if you bring one of those in it will make it cheaper. Ryan uses them all the time....

salsashark
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
As a contractor, my life depends on my airtools so.,.

Really depends on the application youre using it for. For a shop comp, you want a big upright, that pumps out lots of cfms at low to mid pressure. If you want to take it on the road anywhere, you want a twin tank jobsite compressor, high psi, but not very decent cfm (not as good for impact wrenches and dont try painting with it). How frequently you use it, drain it and take care of it makes a difference as to how it will treat you. Ingersoll-Rand, Rollair and Emglo are the best of the best. I had an Emglo twin tank that was going on 17 years of continious use, beatings, dropped from the truck. The only thing I did was replace the impellar fins with aluminum and replace the condenser line. On the other hand, I bought a cheap Husky and it broke within 3 uses. Rigid's are ok, not as good as a regular IR tho. Craftsmans are overpriced, but work well enough. Our old shop comp is an 11 year old CM with no issues.

I have the hokey-dokey china model from HF right now for a shop unit, because If it goes, I can just replace the components (almost all compressor heads, rings and rods of similar displacement will fit eachother) with a defunct dewalt unit. Dewalt bought out Emglo, pretty damn good comps too. My last one lasted me 9 years (two rebuilds). Go to mountain states fastners, or order online direct from the manufacturer. I currently have 5 comps of diferent size. Oiless only for small light duty jobs.

Excellent points... let me just say this, I'm not a contractor. My compressor sees recreational use at best. I think the most work it's had was when I was grinding rust off of some rocker guards for my jeep and doing suspension work.

That being said... For me, my previous statement still stands. However, if putting food on my table was dependent upon an air compressor, you bet I wouldn't skimp at all.

Ricky
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the input!

I ended up picking up the Husky I posted earlier. I'm quite impressed with it. 30gal, fills up in about 6 minutes. Far quieter than any compressor I've ever had. My buddy and I had a normal conversation standing right in front of it. No yelling necessary. Without a compressor, I realized that I have 14 tires to maintain. Got pissed the other day because I needed air and the first two stations I went to were out of order. WTF? Need something reliable, that I won't have to replace. Really hope this is it.

I then took my old POS apart, and removed the compressor, leaving just the tank and a couple valves and a gauge. Now I have a 6gal pancake air tank for portability.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
I think that might be the same one I have had for the last 2 years or so. I changed the motor taps for 220v and have a 220v receptacle in my garage that also runs my drill press and welder. Easier motor starts and less amp draw. Been using it to run air tools and put an oil separator on it for plastic welding and painting.

no complaints yet

Ricky
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 08:54 AM
It's definitely a CH... stamped right on it. I also read somewhere else that it's exactly that. Just a CH panted red with the Husky logo on it.

Jim_Vess
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
My old man has a Sears air compressor that's been reliable for the past 30 years. When he decides to get rid of it, it will be mine. It's loud as shit, but what the hell, my neighbors need something to bitch about.

Ricky
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 09:10 AM
Yeah, unfortunately Craftsman doesn't manufacture any of their compressors in the US anymore. They all come from china. They were one of the first places I looked. Sears web site has a ton of reviews, and a couple are from long time sears employees talking about the decline in quality of craftsman, in favor of bigger profits and lower prices by buying from china. It's too bad really. My dad always used to tout craftsman quality when I was a kid.

FZRguy
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 07:42 PM
I've been using a 6 gal 150 psi oil-less pancake style Craftsman for a year with no issues. Pretty light use and it runs my 1/2 air impact wrench fine for blasting off counter nuts and such. I paid around $150 for it (yes, it's loud).