PDA

View Full Version : New Trail Tech Computer

Bashed
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Just out a new product from Trail Tech.
I dont work for them but have used some of thier products from time to time on various bikes. I am currently running a Garmin 76csx on my CRF 450 trail bike. I had a Vapor Trail Tech computer before that to mostly let me know what my speed was for the road. The gps unit had replaced that and gave me the ability for navigation mostly in unfamiliar areas and to keep a heading in uncharted areas where tracks on the gps maps were unavailible. Word on the other website puts the price @ $279 retail and shipping to start the begining of November. Not bad for a watertight gps unit. Check it out and let me know your thoughts.
http://trailtech.net/voyager.html
Basher

Bueller
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 12:34 PM
I can only check on my phone right now but I see the display as being really small for a GPS. My sport track is tough for me to read on the fly without my seein' glasses, I am afraid that would be near impossible for my old eyes.

Ricky
Fri Oct 22nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Oh man, that's tempting. I've been using a special app I got for my iPhone called AccuTerra, and it works out really well on the trails. Good topo maps you download before going out of cell range. Problem is, I'm not mounting my iPhone to the handlebars of my dirt bike. This is a great swap for the computer I'm using now.

Bashed
Sat Oct 23rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Yea, my gps screen is way to small to see on the fly, ecpecially on dirt with way to many other hazards to deal with. I usually at least stop to verify a heading or track and then continue. I've been looking @ the new 660 Zumo for the road bike, I am finding it's to much hassle with the ipod to download music, with the new Zumo, it has xm radio and I love it in my truck. Lots of choices right now.

bodhizafa
Sat Oct 23rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
I want a cross between the 76csx and the Nuvi 550 (or 500, can't remember which has the topos)

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
tough decision. Was looking at the Vapor for the added engine related data (temp, RPM, and accurate MPH). This complicates things, trade off the engine data for maps......

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 06:04 PM
ack. now I see the striker. So I have to decide what's most important; GPS, RPMs, or Volts.....

We do enough hiking, hunting, snowshoeing etc so saving $100 rather than getting a GPS dedicated to the bike would go a long way toward a good GPS we can use all around. Leaves RPM or Volts.....

Bashed
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I have found the tach readout underwhelming. Sometimes it would double read and others sparatic. It could of just been my unit, didn't really dig into to far as I know by ear when to shift my bike. I would rather know if my lights and heated grips are draing the battery.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Nov 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM
dammit, decisions. I was leaning toward the tach. I don't use the tach for shifting purposes so much as for tuning.

I have not read that the DR is known for charging issues (unlike my VFR) and I d0n't have heated gear - YET. My intention with this bike was to do the bulk of the year round all weather riding.

Bashed
Mon Nov 29th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Go for it. My buddy loves his. I actually think my problem is a damaged pickup wire rather than the unit. Thier warrenty is second to none and they back up thier product 100%. Very nice folks who have a great customer support.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Nov 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Ordered the Vapor with RPM readout. The voyager linked in the OP reads both Volts and RPMs along with the GPS data but I just couldn't bring myself to drop an additional $150ish bucks.

My plan is to install the temp sensor on the oil line where it attaches to the head rather than at the spark plug (air/oil cooled DR650). I figure oil temperature is going to be a lot more telling than cylinder head at the very top of the combustion chamber.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Dec 5th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I have found the tach readout underwhelming. Sometimes it would double read and others sparatic. It could of just been my unit, didn't really dig into to far as I know by ear when to shift my bike. I would rather know if my lights and heated grips are draing the battery.

Installed my Vapor yesterday. There were notes in the instructions about double reading or spuratic readings and it says to change the number of wraps around the coil wire.

I'll get photos and further detail on my initial impressions later.

Have to go hang Christmas lights.

modette99
Sun Dec 5th, 2010, 01:50 PM

http://whoaskedyoushow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/man_boobs.jpg