PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Fiberglass or Plastic Sealer / Protectant (a la Armorall) ??

JustSomeDude
Sat Oct 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
I recently scored a 1700 cubic foot Thule roof box on Craigslist on the super cheaps. It works perfectly, and is still waterproof, but has definitely seen it's fair share of road miles. The original "sheen" is totally worn off, and the box is dull and windblown.

http://justsomedude.com/boxtop2.jpg

I put a coat of Armorall on it, but as expected, it has worn off after a few days and a good drive in a soft rain. So I am wondering, is there any type of product, short of a Krylon or Rustoleum spray-on sealer, that will provide a hard seal and shiny surface? I dig the whipe-on application of Armorall, and am hoping there is some kind of similar product (maybe epoxy based?) that will dry hard -- but maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part.

Am I stuck with spray can products? Any thoughts/recommendations?

Depths_of_Mind
Sat Oct 23rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
a couple layers of clearcoat?

JustSomeDude
Sat Oct 23rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
a couple layers of clearcoat?

I was hoping to avoid spray-cans and/or brush applied stuff. But I guess it's my only option.

Merr. :scramble:

brennahm
Sat Oct 23rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
There's a product called back to black. When I was into the whole Jeep scene, the Wrangler guys loved it for their faded fender flares and swore by this stuff. I don't think it's that pricey and you can find it at local auto parts stores. In the end, you may be stuck with something like a clear coat though.

OUTLAWD
Sun Oct 24th, 2010, 07:13 AM
there may be other temp solutions, like the armor-all, but I would just go ahead and clear the thing

Bashed
Sun Oct 24th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I used a fiberglass cleaner/protectant on my travel trailer and it has done wonders. It cleaned off all the oxidation that had occured and then put a barrier on it to protect it from futher damage. It even took off tree sap that had been dripping on the unit for the last 5 years from where it was parked. I'm sure you could source it at any RV supply house. It worked kinda like the old Honda polish, cleaned all the crap off and left a nice sheen behind. Looks like brand new.Thats my 2 cents.

CoRR
Sun Oct 24th, 2010, 07:43 AM
If it is fiberglass ,I would call any boat place and ask them . I would bet to say it will be clear coat though.

cbrjohnny
Sun Oct 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM
i would try to avoid clear coat it will most likely chip or peel look into that back to black!

asp_125
Sun Oct 24th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I heard about this stuff on another forum. It's called "New Black"
http://showroomnewproducts.com/_mgxroot/page_10772.html

rybo
Sun Oct 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM
FWIW your box isn't made of fiberglass, it's a thermoplastic, and can be protected with products, like armorall. I would not clearcoat it as the box flexes a lot in travel and the clear will just crack

Back to black works well and you can wax it with car wax if you want

brennahm
Sun Oct 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
If you clear it, most companies (Krylon, RustOLeum) have come out with some really great performing paints for plastic that not only bond really well but flex with the structure. I'd still try other products first but you do have that option.

JustSomeDude
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I heard about this stuff on another forum. It's called "New Black"
http://showroomnewproducts.com/_mgxroot/page_10772.html

Ooo... that looks like it may be JUST what I'm looking for. Thanks!

And thanks everyone for the creative ideas - I appreciate it. word. :hump: