PDA

View Full Version : Snowblower Info?

50sGrl
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 06:16 PM
As a fairly recent CO immigrant heading into my first full winter, I've decided to reward myself with a snowblower to supplement my trusty shovel but know nothing about them. I'd like something reliable, easy to maintain, that I can handle by myself. Any recommendations?

highpsi03
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 06:24 PM
As a fairly recent CO immigrant heading into my first full winter, I've decided to reward myself with a snowblower to supplement my trusty shovel but know nothing about them. I'd like something reliable, easy to maintain, that I can handle by myself. Any recommendations?
IMO it doesn't snow heavy/often enough to warrant one in the denver metro area, however golden might be different.

50sGrl
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I'm up I70 toward Genesee and Evergreen, so I'm thinking there'll be more weather to deal with than down in the metro area.

Bueller
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Everyone over 40 should have one, shoveling by hand is dumb as hell :lol:
2 stage, Gas, electric start with a crank chute, 24" min. Craftsman, Troy bilt, Yard Machines are the affordable ones.

longrider
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM
For a snowblower Honda is all I would consider. Featurewise they are a little better than the competition but the big difference is the engine. The Honda engine will outlast 3 Briggs & Stratton engines easy. I have a Honda lawnmower that is going on 20 years old and still works great. In full disclosure I do work at a Honda dealer but I get no commission or spiff, it does not affect me if you buy a Honda or not.

highpsi03
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm up I70 toward Genesee and Evergreen, so I'm thinking there'll be more weather to deal with than down in the metro area.
Then yes one would come in handy, basically i was saying for us people down here in denver we only really NEED to use it maybe once or twice a year, which doesn't justify the cost to me.. Although when it does dump and i'm outside shoveling i sure wish i had one.

Sleev
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 07:31 PM
word, theres about one+ person per year in denver who dies from a heart attack shoveling.

PunyJuney
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 08:09 PM
We got ours from Sears and only use it 6-10 x/season, but those times are well worth it!
Come over and try ours if you want, see if it's too heavy for you. I can move it around no problem and I didn't even have to have it lowered! Then again I'm Canadian, so we're raised on snow removal.

jbnwc
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM
The best advice is to buy your neighbor a snowblower. :)

50sGrl
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM
The best advice is to buy your neighbor a snowblower. :)

I like this!

Thanks to all for your help.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Having lived in Cleveland for 12 years, if I owned a house here I'd have a snow blower. Fuck shoveling. My driveway was 115' long, and that sucked ASS. Sometimes I'd have to shovel that fucking thing 3 times a day. Even if you only use it a few times a year, keep Sta-Bil in it all the time, to me it's worth it. If you have a powerful 1-stage blower, you won't need a 2-stage, but it depends. My in-laws had a little 2-stroke single-stage Ariens, and I'd say it was a little too small so it was a little slow doing my driveway, but on the plus side, it was far easier to maneuver than their older 4-stroke monster that had tracks and was self-propelled.

Ariens was the big name there in the snow belt, they made some really nice stuff.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Then again I'm Canadian, so we're raised on snow removal.
:jawdrop: someone admitted they are Canadian. Never thought anyone was proud of that.

Anyways.. back on topic. I was thinking about getting a snowblower for my wife since the military seems to want me to be gone through the winter two years in a row. If I find out any info or a good deal I will let you know.

Sarge
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 06:29 AM
:canuck:

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 06:41 AM
"Blame Canada, Blame Canada" Great movie.

dchd1130
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 12:17 PM
In the city the best thing you can buy is a good single stage (Honda (http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2SB&category=ss) or this Toro (http://toro.com/home/snowthrowers/gassinglestage/421Q.html)). I will spend the next few months trying to convince people that they will be better off with one of these. If you consistently get over 8" of snow, then you can justify a 2 stage. I wouldnt touch the Troybilt, MTD, Sears stuff. Little tiny belts that will burn up with the first heavy wet snow. Thin scraper bars and skid shoes that will barely last a season. Toro, Honda, and Ariens are good. Honda is hands down the best machine out there. Its also the most expensive. The 2 stage machines run from about $2k-3k. Toro is not as heavy built as the Honda, but it has some great features, and its built well. They run from $1399-$1999. The only real kicker is if you have a paved or gravel drive. If its un-paved you pretty much need the Honda. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call (303-460-8809). Im up in Erie, but would be more then happy to answer any questions. I also have a store in Englewood (http://denver.citysearch.com/profile/1804405/englewood_co/south_side_total_power.html#profileTab-maps) off of Broadway about 8 blocks south of 285. We have a huge inventory of snowblowers right now. If you do go in there let me know. I will make sure you get a CSC discount.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Oct 27th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I have a Troy-Bilt Storm 2-stage, 24". I tried using my neighbors single stage and all it did was bounce around on the sidewalk. It wouldn't even clear saw dust off of glass. My Troy-Bilt gets used a ton and I have never had a problem in over five years. Never even broke a shear pin and I'm still on the original scraper bar. I've used it on gravel and in my back yard to clear a space for the dog. Does awesome with slush, too.