PDA

View Full Version : Best beginner bike?

JellyBean
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I am sure that you all, or at least the majority of you, have been asked this question, but it would be nice to here your opinions. I have read what seems like thousands (but really is more like hundreds) of posts on the topic. It appears that a ninja 250r is the best choice.

Matty
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Sorry n00b, but the search button works wonders.

50sGrl
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM
+1 on the Ninja 250.

JellyBean
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Sorry n00b, but the search button works wonders.

Oh thank you! I had never thought of that. Ha but really I have searched quite a bit. I have found everything from the lost arc to Jimmy Hoffa's remains, but I cant seem to make a decision.

Bueller
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:11 PM
As many people that say a 250 is the best, there will be at least that many that say it isn't.
Me, I love my 250 and I think it is a very capable bike, but most peoples ego will out grow the mighty baby ninja way before there skill level will, and they will hurriedly move up to a 600 or even a liter bike.
I have had a bunch of bikes including 5 1000+cc Twins SV1000, RC51, TLS1000, Buell 984cc and 1204cc plus a few 600cc I4's but I now ride a 250 and love it.

Ricky
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:12 PM
The Ninja will not disappoint... until you're ready for a bigger bike.

Sully
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Depending on your height and weight, perhaps a 250 or a 500. If you are 6'4 and weigh over 200 lbs, a 250 may not be the best choice for you. Help us out here, how tall are you? Have you taken the MSF course? Have you ridden a motorcycle before? :)

Bueller
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Oh and we take'em to the track and although they are not the fastest they can get around nicely, and they are cheap as hell to maintain.

BTW I am 6-0" and 210 lbs. and I can ride my wife 2 up on it. How fast do you need to go?

~Barn~
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Depending on your height and weight, perhaps a 250 or a 500. If you are 6'4 and weigh over 200 lbs, a 250 may not be the best choice for you. Help us out here, how tall are you? Have you taken the MSF course? Have you ridden a motorcycle before? :)

This is the smoothest way I've ever seen anybody get EDIT: somebody's internet vitals, in a long time. Assuming it works of course. :yes:

Oh... and buy something used, that doesn't have fairings, if possible. The bigger they are, the heavier they are, generally. This actually comes into play often, just rolling it around, parking, etc...

Sully
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:33 PM
:lol:.. I do what I can to help you boys out! :leghump:

And Bueller... I have seen a 6'4 guy on my bike and it was like seeing a bear on a circus bike.. .:lol: It's not so much about speed, it was more about comfort, body and leg positioning.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Anything by Schwinn would be a good choice, and faster too...... :)

Bueller
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Frank bring your gixer 1,000,000 out to IMI and see if your ass can keep up with your mouth

Repsol a095
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM
A Ninja would be a great bike to start off with, but if you look at most MSF classes, they are using smaller dual sports. These bikes are light and agile. They are inexpensive to repair and maintain. You can also learn many different forms of riding with a dual sport. I personally think that a DRZ 250 or a DRZ 400 would be the best way to go.

Check this one out:
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2023677562.html

These bikes are bullet-proof. If you fall down, you can get right back up and keep going.

~Barn~
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:04 PM
EDIT: Correction made. Carry on...

JellyBean
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM

well I am 5'10 and 170 lbs. And no but i plan to take it by the end of the year.
the only bike I've ridden was a small 100cc. I'm not sure if that counts? :oops:

Repsol a095
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Brandon! I don't know what happened there, but it's good-to-go now!

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I don't think there was a single dual sport in the Abate class when I took it. They were using Honda 250s. I think it comes down to what they can get a good buy on at the time.

I do think a dual sport or sport bike like the Ninja 250 are easy starters because your body position is similar to what most of us learned pedaling bicycles.

JellyBean
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I am also a guy. Just throwing that in there.

drago52
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Suzuki DRZ 400SM? I think it would be a great bike to start on and to have tons of fun. I don't think you can outgrow it.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Frank bring your gixer 1,000,000 out to IMI and see if your ass can keep up with your mouth
hu·mor

   /ˈhyuhttp://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngmər or, often, ˈyu-/ http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html) Show Spelled[hyoo-mer or, often, yoo-] http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html) Show IPA
–noun 1. a comic, absurd, or incongruous quality causing amusement: the humor of a situation.

2. the faculty of perceiving what is amusing or comical: He is completely without humor.

3. an instance of being or attempting to be comical or amusing; something humorous: The humor in his joke eluded the audience.

4. the faculty of expressing the amusing or comical: The author's humor came across better in the book than in the movie.

5. comical writing or talk in general; comical books, skits, plays, etc.

6. humors, peculiar features; oddities; quirks: humors of life.

7. mental disposition or temperament.

8. a temporary mood or frame of mind: The boss is in a bad humor today.

:)

Actually my ass and my mouth cross the finish line at the same time as they're interconnected.......

Actually, from the guys stated lack of experience, a 250, maybe even a Ninja 250 would be my recommendation. Oh shit, now I'm agreeing with Bueller again, dammit!

TorchRedCorvette
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:31 PM
My $.02 follows...

My first bike was an '89 Honda Hurricane 600. (yup. LOL!) Too big and heavy, I ended up getting rid of it right away.

Next bike was an '05 Ninja 250. Best decision I ever made- I really got comfortable and learned to ride on that bike. I had it for 2 years, and finally "outgrew" it and started looking for a 600. I ended up with an R1 instead, but if I hadn't acquired the skills, judgment and comfort level that I did on the 250, I would never have been able to handle the liter.

Given your height/weight, you would probably be fine on a somewhat bigger bike, so I concur with those who are suggesting 400-500. Just my humble opinion.

JellyBean
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Again, thanks to all for your patience.

if it makes any different I've fairly short legs. I do not think handling the weight will be a problem, as long as I can touch the ground lol.

Repsol a095
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Come and take a look at that DRZ; I think you will be quite happy with it!

Sarge
Mon Oct 25th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Take the MSF. Ninja 250 would be a great choice, but if you've really just gotta have a bigger bike, something like an SV650 wouldn't be so bad.

When I took the MSF they had us on Honda 450s.

JellyBean
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 12:52 AM
my plan was to take the MSF at ACC. is there a better choice I'm unaware of?

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 01:53 AM
When I bought my first bike back in 05 I was one of those jackass Marines buying a bike right after a deployment because I had a ton of cash to blow. I was also about your size. Thankfully I had an experienced friend there to help make sure I didn't screw the pooch.

Bottom line is get what you are comfortable on. Sit on EVERY bike within your price range. See what fits you best. I would recommend staying with a 750 or lower. Most people will tell you to stick with a 600. But in CO a 750 is basically a 600 unless you get some work done on it. I went from a 600RR to a GSX-r 1k to a GSX-r 750 and then a GSX-r 600 (I still have the last two).

I know guys that have picked up a liter bike for their first bike and been fine. It all depends on you and your personalty. Comfort is a big thing though.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Oh and my thoughts on a 250. Fun bike for the track but as a guy the first time you go on a group ride and get left in the dust because everyone rips the throttle and takes off on you, you will want a larger bike. At least with a 600 you will not be totally crushed.

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 01:55 AM
my plan was to take the MSF at ACC. is there a better choice I'm unaware of?

MSF, from my understanding, is basically the same everywhere. The only difference will be the instructors themselves. I am sure some guys on here know instructors and can point you in the right direction. I know a GREAT team in Cali if you wanna go out there for it.

Bueller
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Oh and my thoughts on a 250. Fun bike for the track but as a guy the first time you go on a group ride and get left in the dust because everyone rips the throttle and takes off on you, you will want a larger bike. At least with a 600 you will not be totally crushed.

If you are getting crushed on a small bike on group rides it is because of two reasons, 1 you don't have the skills to ride fast in the corners or the throttle jockeys are pinning it in the straights. Both of which will happen on big bikes too as a beginner. Unfortunately too many people actually worry about it and try to make up time with the power and end up eating shit. I have no problem hanging with group rides and on occasion lead the ride and can put space between me and a group. A small bike requires you to learn how to ride the bike and not the motor. A 250 will teach you more about how to ride in a shorter time than any full size superbike can and when your ready to move up you will be able to sell it for basically what you bought it for, assuming you buy used. Or race prep it and run it in the ninja 250 cup ;) (another reason it will hold it's value).

dragos13
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 06:59 AM
If you are getting crushed on a small bike on group rides it is because of two reasons, 1 you don't have the skills to ride fast in the corners or the throttle jockeys are pinning it in the straights. Both of which will happen on big bikes too as a beginner. Unfortunately too many people actually worry about it and try to make up time with the power and end up eating shit. I have no problem hanging with group rides and on occasion lead the ride and can put space between me and a group. A small bike requires you to learn how to ride the bike and not the motor. A 250 will teach you more about how to ride in a shorter time than any full size superbike can and when your ready to move up you will be able to sell it for basically what you bought it for, assuming you buy used. Or race prep it and run it in the ninja 250 cup ;) (another reason it will hold it's value).

+100

I see way too many new riders become dependant on the throttle. Sure, anyone can go WOT on a bike in a straight line. When you come up to a turn, you then park it on the brakes and rely on power to get you moving again coming out. With a smaller bike, you learn to use less brakes and get on the throttle earlier then on a 1000cc.

Sarge
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 07:20 AM
But you can't do 0-60 in 2.6 seconds on a 250! :puppy:

Just kidding. I've been riding off and on for years, and I've been on some big bikes, but my 1k RSV grabs me by the balls and threatens my manhood every time I open that throttle. Liters and even most 600s are NOT for the feint at heart. That sort of power sobers you up real quick when you can fly past 100+ mph in 1st gear.

Doubly so when you touch the brakes and slam to an instant stop and smash your manhood against the tank.

Did that on my first ride on the bike, only doin about 25, coming up to a stop, squeezed with what I thought was very little pressure, and stopped just as quick as if I had hit a wall. Thankfully I didn't drop her, but it was an eye opening experience, to say the least. Them Brembo's got some serious stopping power. :banghead:

salsashark
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Best advice I've heard for a new rider. Buy used, buy cheap... learn how to ride it, learn your limits, then move on.

Everyone's so hung up on cc's... While I'm not condoning running out and jumping on a busa as a first bike. IMO, if you're going to kill yourself on a bike, you'll be able to do it just fine on any cc: 250, 600, 1000, 1300, etc.......

Find what you like, what you're comfortable riding, and call it good.

Sarge
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM
+1 on used and cheap. I'm of the camp that says it's a good thing to drop a motorcycle or two while learning, so you know what it feels like to lose a rear in a turn, or lock up a rear and then let off the brake for an awesome tank slappin high side. On a used and cheap bike, you won't shed any tears, or probably spend too much money fixing the thing, other than just picking it up and riding away on it.

Just don't go cheap on gear. #1 place NOT to skimp.

vort3xr6
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 07:36 AM
If anybody thinks that you need a 1000 to keep up with people, come out to HPR during an MRA race and watch Josh Galster on his kawi 6.

I started on a 95 CBR 600 F3. Moved up to an R1, then to an R6, then to a GSXR-600.

I am getting my wife an SV650 next summer.

cdbouncer
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I second Salsa - buy cheap and used. Ride that beat bike proudly until you're comfortable. My first bike was an 02 (or 03 - can't remember) CBR F2 or something....see, bottom line it doesn't matter. It had been crashed, it rode like a couch, it apparently wasn't straight to the road when going straight but I learned to ride. I fell down once, picked it back up and rode it home with bent levers - replaced the levers and kept going.

A year later the beater bike was parted out rather than have some other poor rookie ride it and I got a new one. Now I ride an SV650. I'm still on a rather rookie bike - but it's light, there's no fairings, the power isn't crazy but I'm no where near the bike's potential (and probably never will be).

If you've never ridden (which it sounds like is the case) my advice is to take the MSF class. Once you've done that - spent 16+ hrs on a little honda 250(that's what I had) maybe you'll have a better idea what you want. IMO - drop 1K to 2K on your first bike. Ride it until you feel like you can ride really anything - then go buy what you really want. Chances are by then what you really want has changed a few times.

That's my rookie $0.02 :turtle:

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE=cdbouncer;526705] IMO - drop 1K to 2K on your first bike. Ride it until you feel like you can ride really anything - then go buy what you really want. Chances are by then what you really want has changed a few times.
QUOTE]

Starting with an older bike that if you drop it you don't care about is a good move. When I got my first bike it was brand new. I spent more time worrying about not dropping it than learning how to ride. Pick up a cheap bike and then resell it a year or two later to get some of your money back and then get the bike you really like.... speaking of which I have an 01 Kawi ZX-6 sitting in my garage. :D just saying...

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM
People see moving to a larger bike as moving "up." The only thing you're moving "up" in is engine size. It's not like there's a hierarchy of riders that you climb based on your bike's cc's or that anybody who's ridden for more than a week will respect you more for having a larger bike. I'm 5'8"-5'9", 170 lbs and I'll never "need" anything larger than a 600cc engine. In fact, I don't even "need" the one I've got. I've been riding 5 years and I ride just about every day. My 600 is more bike than I'll ever need.

Like others said, don't get hung up on size because, while it seems like there's a bigger difference between a 250 ninja and a 500 ninja or GS500 than there is between a 500 & a 600RR/zx-6r/gsxr/r6, that 100cc difference doesn't address the vast horsepower difference.

Ninja 250 (250cc) = 25 HP ish
Ninja 500 (500cc) = 50 HP ish
Ninja ZX-6R (600cc) = 100 HP

Whatever you get, enjoy your ride and don't ride to "catch up" with others. Gotta tell ya that I've been on plenty of rides where larger bikes smoke me on the straights only to have me right up their asses at the next corner. Ride the pace (use the search function to look it up) and find a bike that's comfortable for you.

Before this turns into a 9 page epic thread on the everyone's feelings about "beginner" bikes, use the search function to find the OTHER 9 page threads on the exact same topic. There's at least one a year back to the dawn of time...

Sully
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Here are a few threads that may help:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29130&highlight=beginner+bike

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34036&highlight=beginner+bike

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM
To kind of expand on Buellers post, if you are riding a 250 and getting crushed on the straights, and you're frantically trying to keep up.......you're breaking the cardinal rule: "ride your OWN ride". You'll get there when you get there, and if the other guys aren't assholes, there'll be a an experienced sweeper behind you to make sure you make it anyways.

Also, in reference to the 250 thing, it's true a good rider can do very well against a dork on a 1k.....but it also depends very much on the road. On a tight road, for sure (though I saw Terra on his ZX10 flat smoke everyone on smaller bikes at IMI so go figure....), but if you're doing big uphill sweepers etc., well, not so much. A perfect example; my buddy Doug (modified BMW 1100RS) who's an excellent rider and used to endurance race in WERA with the big dogs, we did IMI together for my first trackday. And, on that track, we were pretty evenly matched because I couldn't really get the power down effectively there, plus I think because of my vision issues, I wasn't going hard enough on the tighter corners. But, on the longer rides where there are any long uphill climbs or big sweepers, (like Walden to Ft. Collins thru the Poudre and other similar rides) I always end up leaving him behind. And, if you ever plan on any high-altitude rides, up hills, with a passenger, well, an SV650 might be a better choice. You've stated you're 170lbs, which is larger than the norm. As a 215lb 6'1" "plus-sized" bastard, I like the extra power when I need or want it.

Sounds like you're approaching street riding with a good plan, and good attitude, so good for you. I hope you have a LONG, safe riding experience. It's been 27+ great years for me, and counting and I don't regret any of it. It's provided me with some of my best memories ever.....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hey mods, I got an idea: since this type of thread ALWAYS gets rehashed from time to time, can we please merge all these threads into a single thread, and make it a sticky? That way, the FNG's don't need to be told "do a search, noob!", and it's right there as a collection of good info for them.

Thanks!

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM
(though I saw Terra on his ZX10 flat smoke everyone on smaller bikes at IMI so go figure....)
Dunno that this is the best example...
:slappers:

You've stated you're 170lbs, which is larger than the norm.
The norm for what? MotoGP? I think a lot of guys that I know that ride that are around or heavier than that, but not many that are lighter. Most of the lighter ones are actual racers too

DucWise
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM
All this 250 talk is crazy! :crazy: I started out on '72 Suzuki TS125 :turtle:

I would agree with cheap, used, AND comfortable (to you phisically and your ability) for your first bike. Something that won't make you cry when you drop it (aka Duc) but something you can still enjoy yourself on. I've had 250's and liter bikes... all are motorcycle bliss. A would also second the motion of just going to sit on every bike you can find. Figure out what you like then go for it. The best beginner bike for you is the one you get ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Dunno that this is the best example...
:slappers:
Ummm, I don't see why not. IMI is about as tight as you'll find anywhere, and should be a good example of a smaller bike beating a larger bike (the MotoGP 250's and sometimes even the 125's have/had higher cornering speed than the MotoGP bikes).

The norm for what? MotoGP? I think a lot of guys that I know that ride that are around or heavier than that, but not many that are lighter. Most of the lighter ones are actual racers too
I seem to remember that bike manufacturers design for an "average" rider around 159-160lbs. I'm way over that, and even Jelly is a little larger than the norm. And, in fact, I'll bet a Ninja 250, for instance, is set up for even smaller riders (in height and weight) than that as it's designed as a beginner bike to be ridden lightly and not hard (further affecting spring and damping rates).

Oh, and getting a small dirtbike would be a GREAT idea too. Nothing teaches you bike control and how to instinctively react when sliding either or both ends like a dirtbike. And, for the guaranteed endo, they're easy to pick up, dust off, and fix if needed.

OUTLAWD
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM
given your size, I'd go with a dual sport or a sumo. The taller seat height and "dirt bike" ergos will probably be more comfortable than a 250. On my recently deceased 250 :( I raised the rear over 2" and I could still stand over the bike, and I'm only ~5'12"

the gearing of the sumo will still make it feel quicker, enough to zip around on, but still not have too much power where it might get you in trouble. Also, if you drop a sumo...its a dirt bike...who cares!

the 250's are fun, but you really have to wind them out to get them going

Sean
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Awesome beginner bike!
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36610

Mista Black
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I have an RZ350 for sale that would make an outstanding beginner bike!!

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36096&highlight=rz350

asp_125
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Another awesome beginner ... er.. hooligan.. bike.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=526489#post526489

Sean
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Anything less than a 1000cc is a waste of a motorcycle. This is perfect for a beginner! :up:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36158

(just kidding)

konichd
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM
You could get one of these, that way no fear of tipping over ;)

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww125/303cycle/IMG_0394.jpg

cdbouncer
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
What happened to your 250?? :(

given your size, I'd go with a dual sport or a sumo. The taller seat height and "dirt bike" ergos will probably be more comfortable than a 250. On my recently deceased 250 :( I raised the rear over 2" and I could still stand over the bike, and I'm only ~5'12"

the gearing of the sumo will still make it feel quicker, enough to zip around on, but still not have too much power where it might get you in trouble. Also, if you drop a sumo...its a dirt bike...who cares!

the 250's are fun, but you really have to wind them out to get them going

OUTLAWD
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
What happened to your 250?? :(

a suspected rod bearing noise began to overpower the LOUD exhaust...it was fun for the 30 minutes I got to ride it around HPR anyway...

cdbouncer
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM
boo! maybe a replacement?

a suspected rod bearing noise began to overpower the LOUD exhaust...it was fun for the 30 minutes I got to ride it around HPR anyway...

MetaLord 9
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Frank, I wasn't referring to the IMI portion of your comment

Also, I think what the factory considers to be the average Japanese rider and what the actual average American rider looks like is probably fairly different, that's the only point I was trying to make

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Frank, I wasn't referring to the IMI portion of your comment

Also, I think what the factory considers to be the average Japanese rider and what the actual average American rider looks like is probably fairly different, that's the only point I was trying to make
Ok, I wasn't sure what you meant. I was surprised Terra was able to get around there as fast as he did, but, that's Terra.

I find the Japanese concept of size seem to be undersized in all areas. I had a couple pair of Kushitani gloves that I LOVED, but even the largest seemd 1/4-1/2 size too small, and that was XXL gloves. since switching to Alpinestars, evenything seems to fit better. Plus, hey, it's Italian! :)

Sarge
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 10:47 PM
You could get one of these, that way no fear of tipping over ;)

There's a place in Denver that rents these, I might have to pick one up for a weekend just to see what the deal is, I'm definitely curious. I bet they're fast as all hell and corner like crazy, I'm just afraid that extra wheel might inspire waay too much confidence for speeding through the corners.

Sully
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM
There's a place in Denver that rents these, I might have to pick one up for a weekend just to see what the deal is, I'm definitely curious. I bet they're fast as all hell and corner like crazy, I'm just afraid that extra wheel might inspire waay too much confidence for speeding through the corners.

LOL.. yes, and Konichd is the one who rents them at 303Cycles :)

Ghost
Tue Oct 26th, 2010, 11:49 PM
LOL.. yes, and Konichd is the one who rents them at 303Cycles :)

It was outside last time I was there.

...I still think it's the best marketing ploy to sell snowmobiles ever... :p

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Oct 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Well, if I remember correctly, they essentially have a V-twin Mille engine, but weigh probably twice as much, so dunno if they're all that fast. Look at the rear sprocket gearing to see how much they had to lower it to get performance with all that extra weight. It'd be fun to take one for a spin though.