PDA

View Full Version : EVERYONE, please say a little prayer...

whitebrad
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 05:52 AM
my son, who is 4-1/2, was seen for a physical today and they detected a heart murmur. we have to go see a cardiologist ASAP, and i am a little worried.

they said that 80% of heart murmurs are "functional" and that they pose no health risks and can lead completely normal lives...

i have been researching them all day...

and while i am very glad that they have a very low fatality rate, i am just hoping beyond hope that he be in that 80% that are COMPLETELY normal.

please, say a little prayer for my boy... just ask that his be "functional"....

TransNone13
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I had a heart murmur until I was in my 20's. I've played sports all my life and now serve with no issues whatsoever. Don't worry too much, just keep an eye on it.

asp_125
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 06:25 AM
crossing my fingers for "functional"

TFOGGuys
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM
My dad has had a heart murmur for at lest the last 70 years, do you can take a little comfort in that. Never slowed him down. Here's hoping you son's is at least as benign. :up:

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Best wishes to the little guy.

sloridr
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Got my prayer for the wee one.

Squisha
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Saying a little prayer...

Good thing they've caught it so early, and not after something catastrophic has already happened.

Cap'n Crunch
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Best wishes for the little one....

dirkterrell
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 08:15 AM
My sister had one when she was younger and she was a hell of a long distance runner in her school days. Not sure if she still has it but it obviously hasn't bothered her in the slightest. And I have had friends that I played football with who had them, and they are still going strong. I'm betting your little guy is going to be fine. Trust me, I'm a doctor. :)

Dirk

Matty
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Wishing your son and family my best.

MetaLord 9
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Got you guys on my mind & crossing fingers for good news

Nick_Ninja
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Here's to the doc that will take care of your little one. And here's to your little one :cheers:.

~Barn~
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 09:45 AM
+1 to that, Jeff_Ninja. Positive vibes to'ya, Brad.

Devaclis
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Fingers crossed man. I have had a heart murmer my entire life. Which is odd, because people think I have no heart.

TFOGGuys
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Fingers crossed man. I have had a heart murmer my entire life. Which is odd, because people think I have no heart.

Are you secretly a used car dealer?

bornwildnfree
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I have a heart mummer and the only time it bothers me is when I drink a lot of caffeine. Best wishes to your little one and prayer sent.

TorchRedCorvette
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Best wishes to your son and your family!!

My mom has had a heart murmur all her life too, and it didn't make a bit of difference.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM
When I went to the Dr. 1-1/2 years ago the Dr. said he could hear mine with a stethescope, and saind on the scale of 1-5 mine was maybe a 3. He referred me to a deart Dr., but without insurance I couldn't go. Now, that said, I don't know if it's causing me any issues or not. I don't THINK so. My dad had one that ended up severe enought that it had to be surgically repaired, but that was well into his 60's when they operated. I dunno if it's heritary or not.

All that said, the Dr. also said many people have slight murmurs and it's never an issue. I hope that's the case with your son. Best of wishes to you all.

sprtbkbabe
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I was diagnosed with a murmur when I was a kid. It reappeared last year as I got more active. I feel it now and again so I had an ultrasound by a cardiologist two months ago to see if the valves had calcified. They are fine. I just have to remember to not start up any crack habits. Oh and you MUST take antibiotics before any teeth cleanings as plaque can travel there and cause a bigger problem. It is hereditary. But my grandmother who had one, didnt let that stop her when she raced models A Fords. Tell the kiddo not to worry Christopher :)

FZRguy
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 08:24 PM
:pointlaugh: She said crack habit. Seriously tho, I had a murmur too as a kid. I'm sure he'll be fine.

cbrjohnny
Thu Oct 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
wish the best for you and your family! i had one when i was less than a year old and iv had a very active life (maybe too active!) including pro mountain bike racing, so stay positive every thing happens for a reason!

john