PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranties

Sarge
Sun Oct 31st, 2010, 05:02 AM
Just had a few questions about extended warranties. Just got a new bike, came with 24 months factory warranty, didn't buy anything extra but I'm thinking about, but I really don't know jack about extended warranties as far as bikes are concerned.

Do third party companies sell these? Do dealers? Do shops? Anybody bother with these or have any issues? I'm really just trying to get a good feel of the "industry" if you will, and to see whether or not these things are worth it. I'm typically the type who buys extra warranties and insurance for the piece of mind factor, but I'm always for finding the best deals and getting the best bang for my buck.

Any info is appreciated.

-Sarge

CoRR
Sun Oct 31st, 2010, 07:11 AM
I bought the extended for the wifes 250 ninja. an extra 4 yrs.
It cost me around $400

I did it for one reason. That bike came with 1 year only. I wanted to make sure it was gonna stay in top shape for her because she is a new rider.

I also bought 12 services (oil ,filters change and such) This way she could drive it over and have it done without me having to be there.

I think it was worth it. $100 a year sounds like piece of mind to me.

Depths_of_Mind
Sun Oct 31st, 2010, 07:24 AM
My scoot came with a 3 yr warentee. I think if I was offered an additional ammount of time for somewhat reasonable price, i'd prob take it.

Sarge
Sun Oct 31st, 2010, 07:41 AM
My Aprilia came with 24 months, but I was thinking about extending it. I've heard you can do so before the factory one expires, but I'm not sure where exactly to get it. From the dealer, manufacturer or a 3rd party? I just got a letter in the mail saying that since I bought it brand new Aprilia was giving me 2 years of free Roadside Asistance, as well.

Bueller
Sun Oct 31st, 2010, 08:07 AM
Wouldn't do it personally. I have never used the ones I bought, and have never needed one on the ones I didn't.