PDA

View Full Version : re-mounting wheels

Telefonica
Tue Apr 12th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I'm thinking about taking my street bike to a few track days and don't want to wear out my street tires. So I'm thinking about getting a few sets of track tires, and then swapping back to my old set for the street. And if I go to a lot of track days I'd have to spend a lot of $$$ to have someone change out the tires for me. And next year, I'm thiking about racing in the MRA and would definately need to change to a set of race tires every weekend and it could get expensive.

Anyway, to get to the point, my question is how hard is it to re-mount the wheels after changing out the tire? I've never done it myself, and I don't know what all I have to really be worried about.

any help appreciated :)

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Apr 12th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I'm thinking about taking my street bike to a few track days and don't want to wear out my street tires. So I'm thinking about getting a few sets of track tires, and then swapping back to my old set for the street. And if I go to a lot of track days I'd have to spend a lot of $$$ to have someone change out the tires for me. And next year, I'm thiking about racing in the MRA and would definately need to change to a set of race tires every weekend and it could get expensive.

Anyway, to get to the point, my question is how hard is it to re-mount the wheels after changing out the tire? I've never done it myself, and I don't know what all I have to really be worried about.

any help appreciated :)

I wouldn't worry about it yet. If you're a beginner and not very fast, you're not going to hurt your street tires. If anything, you'll wear the far edge a little and that never gets used on the street anyway. Hit eBay and get an extra set of wheels for swaping back and forth. When you start racing the tire vendors mount your tires for free. It's all part of the price of the tire.

Polar X
Tue Apr 12th, 2005, 10:26 AM
It is quick and painless. with it up on the stands, it takes 15-30 mins TOPS. and that includes re-saftey wiring everything.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Apr 12th, 2005, 10:45 AM
It is quick and painless. with it up on the stands, it takes 15-30 mins TOPS. and that includes re-saftey wiring everything.

Shiiiittt!! After doing it 2-3 times a weekend all last year, I can remove them and get them back on in about 5 minutes. That's with wiring too :D

Telefonica
Tue Apr 12th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Thx for all the help

hcr25
Tue Apr 12th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Not sure but i think he was talking about changing the tires not just the wheels.mike

Anonymous
Tue Apr 12th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Not so sure about that, Mike: :dunno:

my question is how hard is it to re-mount the wheels after changing out the tire?
If you've never done it before, and you do it alone the first time, you will probably be very intimidated (I know I was). I would suggest asking for some help (for some reason, people here seem to like payment in the form of beer :cheers: :D ), so I'm sure you could find somebody (with experience) to come over & help you. Once you've done it once, you'll be surprised at how easy it really is. 8)

Bueller
Tue Apr 12th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah I pulled remounted two sets this afternoon and it was fun :lol: