PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with CL ad

Think
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Saw this on CL. Very good deal on this bike but I'm worried if I buy it that I'll have issues trying to title it, especially since I'm not in Colorado right now. Anyone have any knowledge in this area? Thanks.

http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/2040872726.html

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 01:14 PM
shit, no one told me about risks riding sport bikes! They cause cancer now too?

DucWise
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Saw this on CL. Very good deal on this bike but I'm worried if I buy it that I'll have issues trying to title it, especially since I'm not in Colorado right now. Anyone have any knowledge in this area? Thanks.

http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/2040872726.html

What specific issue( s ) with the title are you worried about?

I have bought a couple of bikes out of state before and then registered/titled them here in CO. Never had a problem doing that.

dragos13
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 01:30 PM
At first glance, it kind of like a scam to me....

Cap'n Crunch
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM
At first glance, it kind of like a scam to me....

But, didn't you read the part where he says, "rest assured that you're dealing with an upfront, honest person" - that means it is not a scam.:|

dragos13
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah definitely reassuring when the seller has to "reassure" the buyer that he is honest...

lol

I could be wrong. If you have been in verbal contact with him it might be a good deal. If you email him and got a response from a gmail account, I might start looking elsewhere.

Sarge
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 01:42 PM
But, didn't you read the part where he says, "rest assured that you're dealing with an upfront, honest person" - that means it is not a scam.:|

Even better, he's a member of the military!

salsashark
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Even better, he's a member of the military!

:lol: that used to mean something to me until I spent 2 weeks cleaning and repairing my rental after a couple of young military members moved out...

drago52
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
seems like a good deal to me. sorry to hear you sold your vfr :(

MetaLord 9
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 02:48 PM
He doesn't say how it's misprinted which is concerning. If it's ONLY misprinted on miles, then you check the "not actual mileage" box on the back of the title and you're done. If anyone questions you, tell 'em you bought a new speedo or make up some BS about how the speedo cut out for a while. If that's really all that's wrong with the title, then you should be fine. Anything else and I wouldn't touch it with a 90 ft. pole.

The DMV, ESPECIALLY in Colorado, is the most inept group of government employees you'll find (and yes, I realize what I'm saying in that) so title work that's not striaght, by the book, easy, will be a HUGE headache/timewaster/moneywaster/lock&load haterage.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
The DMV, ESPECIALLY in Colorado, is the most inept group of government employees you'll find (and yes, I realize what I'm saying in that) so title work that's not striaght, by the book, easy, will be a HUGE headache/timewaster/moneywaster/lock&load haterage.

Amen to that - all of it

Violator
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM
If he will offer use his own shipping company be aware of scam, friend of mine found really good deal online and seller offered to ship via his shipping company, he sent web site url and after simple look into domain registration it was fake - registered same day of the ad and built within 24 hours, but looked legitimate and professional.

Think
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 03:30 PM
What specific issue( s ) with the title are you worried about?

I have bought a couple of bikes out of state before and then registered/titled them here in CO. Never had a problem doing that.
It was the issues with the mileage I was concerned about.

seems like a good deal to me. sorry to hear you sold your vfr :(
Yeah, I had to. Towing it down to Alabama was going to be a pain in the ass. Had I known I was leaving this early I would never have bought a bike after I wrecked the CBR.

He doesn't say how it's misprinted which is concerning. If it's ONLY misprinted on miles, then you check the "not actual mileage" box on the back of the title and you're done. If anyone questions you, tell 'em you bought a new speedo or make up some BS about how the speedo cut out for a while. If that's really all that's wrong with the title, then you should be fine. Anything else and I wouldn't touch it with a 90 ft. pole.

Well they never actually go and look at the bike so the mileage never technically needs to be dead on. And thanks for actually responding to the original post, this helped me out.

If he will offer use his own shipping company be aware of scam, friend of mine found really good deal online and seller offered to ship via his shipping company, he sent web site url and after simple look into domain registration it was fake - registered same day of the ad and built within 24 hours, but looked legitimate and professional.
I've bought used bikes before. I know what I'm doing. But thank you for the advice. I never have and never will buy a bike without seeing it in person and physically taking it from the seller. I'm usually pretty good at picking up scams on CL and even better when it comes to emails. How people still fall for bike scams amazes me. That being said, the ad does not seem typical for a scam so I'm going to shoot him an email.

Sarge
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM
:lol: that used to mean something to me until I spent 2 weeks cleaning and repairing my rental after a couple of young military members moved out...

It used to mean something to me, too. (I'm in Iraq right now, btw) until about 2007 or so, when the economy was good and the wars were bad, and they were waivering felons, etc. I personally processed 22 chapter packets between 04/2009 and 03/2010, kicking people out mostly for drug use.

So, we're working on it. :batman:

Think
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Oh, and I'm actually stationed at Ft. Rucker, AL for flight school. It's just the few bad apples that often make the army, and the military in general, look bad. 95% of the guys and gals I have met are top notch people.

DucWise
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 08:57 PM
It was the issues with the mileage I was concerned about.

The CL ad reads like the title just has the incorrect mileage listed on it... nothing more. And, like you said, no one really even checks for that. I don't imagine it should be an issue in any way. You will have to get a VIN inspection/verificatoin done here in CO if you bring it back to get it titled/registered here. They do look at the title but I think only to verify that the VIN # matches.

I've titled dozens of bikes here in CO and never had any issue or problems with the Motor Vehicle dept. They have always been very pleasant and easy to deal with. Of course, I'm in Douglas county so that may make a difference. Some counties could be much more surly than others :lol:

(and the ad does look a little suspect at first glance as dragos13 mentioned... but it could be legit)

Good luck!

fasterlaster
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Since Montgomery isn't that bad of a ride from Rucker it's prob worth checking out. As long as the VIN matches you should be good.

Scored51
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM
If it does have a clear title, you'll just need the VIN Verificaition to retitle it in Colorado. However, the VIN verification does have a place to fill out the mileage and must be done "under penalty of perjury in the second degree" by whoever signs it. So that would be the most likely trigger for your troubles. The rabbit hole could be quite deep as the laws concerning odometers are the realm of federal mandate. But rest assured (like your honest military seller) the DMV will have a form, process, and collectable cash value of fixing the problem. Your issue will be talking to enough bodies in the Dept. of Mindless Vegetables to figure out the right answer to your question.

If you choose to accept this mission... Well, good luck anyway.

SloBlue
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Man, that CL ABSOLUTELY screams, S-C-A-M !!!!!!!!!!!

No phone number, no details, no nothing.

I'll bet if you contact them, they'll want you to send a cashiers check or money order. I wouldn't exchange a nickel until you can touch, feel, smell, hear the bike and see the paperwork. IMO :loop:

Think
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'll bet if you contact them, they'll want you to send a cashiers check or money order. I wouldn't exchange a nickel until you can touch, feel, smell, hear the bike and see the paperwork. IMO :loop:
Did I not say I would do that in my earlier post...?

Think
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 11:54 AM
The CL ad reads like the title just has the incorrect mileage listed on it... nothing more. And, like you said, no one really even checks for that. I don't imagine it should be an issue in any way. You will have to get a VIN inspection/verificatoin done here in CO if you bring it back to get it titled/registered here. They do look at the title but I think only to verify that the VIN # matches.

I've titled dozens of bikes here in CO and never had any issue or problems with the Motor Vehicle dept. They have always been very pleasant and easy to deal with. Of course, I'm in Douglas county so that may make a difference. Some counties could be much more surly than others :lol:

(and the ad does look a little suspect at first glance as dragos13 mentioned... but it could be legit)

Good luck!

If it does have a clear title, you'll just need the VIN Verificaition to retitle it in Colorado. However, the VIN verification does have a place to fill out the mileage and must be done "under penalty of perjury in the second degree" by whoever signs it. So that would be the most likely trigger for your troubles. The rabbit hole could be quite deep as the laws concerning odometers are the realm of federal mandate. But rest assured (like your honest military seller) the DMV will have a form, process, and collectable cash value of fixing the problem. Your issue will be talking to enough bodies in the Dept. of Mindless Vegetables to figure out the right answer to your question.

If you choose to accept this mission... Well, good luck anyway.

So I'd have to physically bring the bike back to CO to get the VIN inspected?

DucWise
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
So I'd have to physically bring the bike back to CO to get the VIN inspected?

I believe that is correct. I've usually had a county sheriff, or similar, come to my residence and physically inspect the VIN on the bike and the title. They did the verification/inspection in my driveway while I waited. I got the impression that they want to read the VIN # from the bike/title themselves and they call it in for "verification" while you wait :bigeyes:

I've heard of other people taking bikes into a local dealer or shop that is authorized to do this. But I think either way they need to have the bike sitting in front of them. Maybe someone else here knows more about that option. :think:

longrider
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM
There are two types of VIN verification, a regular one (which is all you need for an out of state title) that can be done by a motor vehicle salesman, or any LEO. There is also a Certified VIN verification which can only be done by specially trained LEOs. I know it is needed for bonded titles, I don't know what else it is needed for. What the difference is is that the regular one just makes sure the number matches the paperwork, while the certified one the inspector has been trained to look for tampering

Sarge
Sun Nov 7th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I bought a newer truck in Colorado, then drove it to Nevada and had an inspection done there by the Reno PD. You really just need to have the VIN inspected in whatever state you want to register it, if you take it out of state you don't have to have the VIN verified in CO.

Think
Sun Nov 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Got an email back from the guy. Took him a while to answer since he was out of town but he's sending me the VIN tomorrow when he comes home. Doesn't seem like a scam so far.

NUTZ
Sun Nov 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Get the name of the county its registered in. Then you can call the DMV in that county give them the Von and they will be able to tell you the status of the title, millage, type of title and most of all if its stolen or not. Just my two cents.

Graphite675
Sun Nov 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM

You've got that right!

I would be very very careful buying something that the title is not 100% correct. It may be okay in Alabama but I can almost guarantee the Colorado DMV will shoot it down. I can't tell you how many issues I had with them when I moved out here. Unbelievable! and I had nothing sketchy like that title sounds like it might be.

Like they always say "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is" That price is WAY below what it should go for so there has to be something wrong. Nobody is just going to pass along his "good deal" unless there is a reason for it.

csmith
Sun Nov 7th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Nobody is just going to pass along his "good deal" unless there is a reason for it.

You mean like everyone thinking it's a scam before anyone actually checks it out?