PDA

View Full Version : Ninja 250 Battery and other ?'s

Stank Juic3
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Fixing up Jens 98 ninja 250, so I can trade it in and see if I qualify for a R6. So I ordered a battery http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310252290793&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT since the old one is shot. My question is the battery comes with a "Acid pack" what do I do with that? Since I never had to buy a battery before for a bike, do I simply install the battery or do I have to fill it up with the acid pack?

Also I see the fork seals are leaking pretty bad? Should I replace them and get more trade in value for it or leave as is? I dont know the $$$$ to get fork seals replaced sooo ya. By it being a 98 with 23**** miles on it im not expecting that much out of it, but I dont wanna spend more then what they will give me towards the yami. Besides that the bike itself runs fine. Also how much do you/s think I would get for 250?

Bueller
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 03:45 PM
You won't get shit on trade, sell it outright. And yes put the acid in and charge it.

MetaLord 9
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Agree on the trade in value being crap.

Since the 250's forks shouldn't be inverted, it shouldn't be too difficult to change the seals. Probby somewhere between $100 & $150 in parts & labor I'd imagine.

The acid pack is just the electrolytes. It's the same as buying a maintenance battery at Checker. It should have instructions, but usually you just pull the protective tape off of the battery, flip the electrolyte pack upside down and shove it onto the top. The batter breaks the seal on the pack & the electrolytes drain into the battery. It comes with a plug for the holes in the battery which you then insert, and then you've gotta charge the battery for 12 hours or something like that. Really pretty easy in the end

Stank Juic3
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Sounds pretty easy. Right on.

I was talking to the guy yesterday and He said bring the bike down and we'll work on getting the r6 yadda yadda ya.

I know buying a bike is harder then buying a house or a car. But if I sold it on craigslist I was going to put it up for a mere $1000. Jen only rode it for 1 season, she porb didnt even put no more then 500+ miles on it.

I was hoping for $1000 from the dealership but for some gut feeling, i know I wont get that.

Sarge
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Post pics? Other than batteries and seals it runs just fine?

TFOGGuys
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Kelley Blue Book Trade value shows at $865. If you can get a grand for it on Craigslist, that would be better.

OUTLAWD
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 04:24 PM
damn man...too bad, I coulda just sold you my parts bike with a brand new battery and 500 mile fresh forks...

if its running solid, 1k should be easy to get on CL

Stank Juic3
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Post pics? Other than batteries and seals it runs just fine?

Yes sir. Im going to see what they will do first if I dont like I post bike up in the sales thread and Craigslist. $1000. I'll even deliver with a full tank of gas.

Bueller
Fri Nov 5th, 2010, 04:38 PM
IMO you are better off working a deal with a cash down, sell the 250 first. They are trying to get that trade for as little as possible, the less they pay the more profit when they resell it, so you are doing 2 deals at once where the dealer can make $ so you know no matter how brotastic this guy is he is there to make $.

When you demand more for the trade in, the less they are gonna move on the R6 price. Walk in with 20% down and make your best deal on the new bike.