PDA

View Full Version : Trail hogs SUCK!

SloBlue
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 08:24 PM
What is it with people in 4X4's crawling along forest service roads that makes them think when I come up behind them on my XR that I should just shift into 1st gear and slip the clutch to go slow enough to stay behind them and choke on their dust for hours?

I keep having people go out of their way to hog the trail and not let me by when I come up, and no, I'm not 1 foot from their bumper honking my horn. I try to hang back respectfully and wait for them to find a wide spot to let me slide past.

My son and I finally went by a person in the family SUV on the Storm Mountain trail today and they were honking and angry the whole time we went by. They were still honking as far as I could hear past them on the road. Last time I went up the Moody Hill trail, there were guys in old Land Cruisers moving along in granny low. We waited behind some ATV's that also wanted by. The ATV's were too wide to make it, but we finally had to squirt past. Seriously, a two wheeled vehicle has to have forward motion to operate. I though the guys in the Land Cruiser club might shoot at us they were so mad.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a speed limit on a dirt road in the National Forest, but even so, we weren't going that fast. We averaged 25 or 30. That's enough to destroy your average Jeep, but not a motorcyce. Would these people think they had no right to pass a guy riding a mule up the road? I don't get it.

Anyone else having this issue?

brennahm
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 08:37 PM
We usually have pretty good luck (smiles, waves, etc) on the sumos on the FS and dirt roads that we travel. That really sucks you've run into the trail bums of the state.

Bueller
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Forest roads aren't really trails but I ride Jeep roads and 1 outta 10 are retarded in such a way, the rest move pretty quick. The ones that don't usually get passed in a non friendly way. Qwads are the idiots I can't stand as some may already know. These morons have no idea how to ride trails. They have never heard of trail etiquette. They just go buy one of these pigs and once they are bored spinning doughnuts in the parking lot they venture out to the trails to be slow rolling road blocks. Complete with helmetless kids riding bitch on the back. This is why I really try to ride singletrack when its open.

SloBlue
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Mark, the parts guy at RM Kawi in Longmont gave me a trail map of the area and I had every intention of actually finding some single track this summer. I've just been so busy, I never got to it. When I've only got a couple hours to head out, I guess it's just easier to head to the closest National Forest access point and ride the roads. I've always wanted to head down to Rampart and check it out. I used to head up to the Red Feather Lakes area a lot and I never had any issues up there.

SloBlue
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 09:45 PM
We usually have pretty good luck (smiles, waves, etc) on the sumos on the FS and dirt roads that we travel. That really sucks you've run into the trail bums of the state.

I always give a wave when someone lets me by, dual sport on the dirt or sport bike in the canyons. It's cool when someone is considerate enough to let you do your thing. I guess I have a different perspective, but when I'm on 4 wheels in the mountains and see a sportbike coming up behind me, I move over and let him enjoy his day too.

DW
Sat Nov 6th, 2010, 11:13 PM
yep, whether on my 2 wheeler or 4, i've been stuck behind 2 wheelers and 4

bodhizafa
Sun Nov 7th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Really don't understand why someone would get so upset about being passed. Were you throwing rocks at them on the way by? :) I've had good luck so far on the trails around Boulder, smile and waves. Haven't seen any quads just bikes and 4x4's.

BigE
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Haven't been trail riding for eons now but have run into the same issue back then...on Storm mtn to boot.
I just hang back wait to see if the "turtle" is going to catch a clue and be considerate and if they don't then pass at my convenience ;).

Ricky
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM
If you are going too slow, I will pass you. Deal with it.

As for assholes who pull stupid shit, I don't let it ruin my day.

PhL0aTeR
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Anyone else having this issue?

nope, 4x4's cant fit on single tracks.

FZRguy
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
If you are going too slow, I will pass you. Deal with it.

As for assholes who pull stupid shit, I don't let it ruin my day.

:yes:

husky390
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM
If you don't like quads, stay off of 627 at Rampart. That trail is an overall wearing quadfest.
But then I've seen some squid behavior from bike riders as well, like the guy who tried to roost me twice in the parking lot at Rampart, guess he didn't like the fact I was on a sport quad, though he never caught up to me, or the time I saw a guy riding an XR650R on the rampart poker run with his 4 year old son wearing a helmet, sitting in front of him and riding with his feet on the radiators, or the moron at Watkins that was riding the big and intermediate track with his toddler in one of those backpacks for kids on his back. Moral of the story, common sense is not very common these days and idiots are everywhere no matter what they are driving/riding.

fasterlaster
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 07:57 PM
common sense is not very common these days

This would be so funny if it was not so true.

modette99
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM