PDA

View Full Version : Lost my only key! Help!

D_Sp8s
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I seemed to have permanently misplaced my only key to my new-ish SV. What should I do? Contact Suzuki? Local locksmith? Will I need to buy a new ignition? HELP!

~Barn~
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Do you have the tag that lists the key serial#? Is it written in the owners manual somewhere?

D_Sp8s
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
No, I never received the owners manual when I bought it.

longrider
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Do you know what dealer originally sold it new? There is a chance the key number was recorded in the major unit record.

If you can get the ignition switch off (assuming the forks are not locked) the key number is stamped in a hidden spot that you cant see until the switch is off the bike. If you cant, a good locksmith can still make a key for it. Regarding locksmiths I recommend Englewood Lock and Safe for the south side of town, or Dire's Lock and key for north.

Airreed
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I almost lost my key...

Here's the link on a couple of courses of action:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31198

brennahm
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Statewide Lock & Safe on east colfax is an amazing locksmith. We used to used them as OTD's locksmith when custmers were in your situation.

D_Sp8s
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I did lock the forks though. But I'll look at my Service/Repair Manual to for instructions to get the ignition off. If that doesn't work I'll call one of the lock smiths and maybe take my gas cap or rear seat off.

brennahm
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Service manual will not have instructions for with the forks locked. It's usually doable by destroying the ignition cylinder.

eg bter
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 09:12 PM
The gas cap and/or seat lock will not be enough to make a new key.

Wrider
Mon Nov 8th, 2010, 11:27 PM
STOP! HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!!!
What year is your SV?
I've got the pdf of the service manual up right now and it shows the ignition cylinder has an orange/white wire going to the ECM which means that it has a chip/transponder in the key. Even if you were to connect the hot to the ground it won't spark and it won't send any signals to the injectors.
You need the key or to get a replacement from Suzuki that will talk to the transponder in the ECM so that the bike can start up.

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I recommend Englewood Lock and Safe for the south side of town
+1 for Englewood. If you end up taking it to a locksmith, they're pretty darn good! I had 'em make keys for an ignition and a tank off my old Hurricanes and they had a Ninja sitting in the shop that they were making a key for too

D_Sp8s
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I have an 03 SV650S. As far as I know it doesn't have a chip.

eg bter: Why don't you think the gas cap or rear seat lock will be enough to make a spare?

If it is enough, which would be easier: Taking the gas cap off? Getting at the ignition with the forks locked? Getting the rear seat lock out?

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I know that getting a copy of the key for my 07 ZX-6R didn't work in the ignition even though the chip detector at ACE said that I the original key didn't have a chip. The dup key worked in the gas cap though

eg bter
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
eg bter: Why don't you think the gas cap or rear seat lock will be enough to make a spare?

I got a key made for a TL once and they had to use the ignition. Apparently the gas cap and seat latch only use a couple of the (tumblers?) and not the whole length of the key. They might have changed since then , it was a 98. You should check with the locksmith before you go in.

Easiest option would be to have a mobile locksmith come out to the bike, or tow the bike to them.

Wrider
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Ok if you have the 03 you don't have the chip :) Good to go.

brennahm
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I got a key made for a TL once and they had to use the ignition. Apparently the gas cap and seat latch only use a couple of the (tumblers?) and not the whole length of the key. They might have changed since then , it was a 98. You should check with the locksmith before you go in.

Easiest option would be to have a mobile locksmith come out to the bike, or tow the bike to them.

+1

Many cars work this way as well.

My guess is you will not be able to remove either the gas cap or the ignition without destroying them. And I would bet some serious $$ that the seat latch doesn't use any but maybe the first couple cuts of the key.

Time to call a tow service.

R1-Laubinero
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM
take your ins card and registration to the dealer plus drs lisc

brennahm
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM
^For what?

D_Sp8s
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks everybody for the help! I hope this thread will help someone else as well. But for me, I won't be needing the help anymore seeing as how someone was nice enough to pick up my key and turn it in to my apartment's office.

Thanks again!

R1-Laubinero
Wed Nov 10th, 2010, 10:13 AM
^For what?
u take it to dealer they give u a new key via vin# and proof of ownership.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Nov 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM
glad you got your key back.

I locked my key in the truck while hunting down in the San Juans this year. Had to borrow another truck, drive down to the tiny little Chrysler dealer in Cortez. Logged into my Chrysler Financial .com loan account on the service manager's computer to show my ownership.

Then they were out of the "right" blank for the cheap valet key so I had to buy the $50 chipped key to have any guarantees that when I drove back up the mountain I would be in business. In the end, the alternate valet blank he was 90% sure would work for 5$ - worked. Ended up costing me $65, a half a tank of gas in someone else's truck, and an afternoon of hunting. :angry:

King Nothing
Wed Nov 10th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks everybody for the help! I hope this thread will help someone else as well. But for me, I won't be needing the help anymore seeing as how someone was nice enough to pick up my key and turn it in to my apartment's office.

Thanks again!Now, are you clever enough to get a spare made?

TFOGGuys
Wed Nov 10th, 2010, 11:13 AM
For the record: I can usually get the gas cap open without damaging it, and on MOST bikes, the cap lock uses all of the tumblers, so a key cut from an impression will usually work in the ignition. Later model bikes with a chipped key will require either a duplicate key from the manufacturer, or replacement of the ignition lock AND the ECU (ouch$$$). The moral of the story is, get a duplicate and put it in a safe place (like with your passport) before you need it.

longrider
Wed Nov 10th, 2010, 11:15 AM
u take it to dealer they give u a new key via vin# and proof of ownership.

Just for the record while that works for cars it does not work for bikes. There is no master database of VIN # to key code for bikes

D_Sp8s
Wed Nov 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Now, are you clever enough to get a spare made?

I'm not touching my key until I can go get a spare made!

bendavis
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 08:19 AM
i've just lost my key. so pissed at myself. Any idea if the 00 TL1000s gas cap has the same number of tumblers (and whats your secret to getting it off?) the bike is stuck at work (left it there in the snow storm thursday) and I think I lost the key in old town... this fucking sucks.