PDA

View Full Version : Helmet style?

675Rider
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 12:36 AM
What do you guys prefer? Street full face? Dirt with goggles? Hybrid/supermoto? I was thinking street style for strictly street days and dirt with goggles for mixed days. Just curious.

Zach929rr
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I wear the MX with goggles all the time. Only downsides to me are that the nose guard on the goggles inst quick big enough, so if you are doing a good clip down dirt road behind somebody, you can get continuously pegged in the lips by pebbles and shit. And it can be a bit chilly around this time of yeah, but a balaclava really helps with that.

dallas
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Depends on what I am doing, but I have a MX helmet with goggles and an "Enduro" style which is basically a MX helmet with a flip up face shield, like a full face street helmet, then of course a couple full face street helmets. For most of the dirt applications, the Enduro helmet works awesome, unless it is really dusty, then it is MX helmet and goggles.

Matty
Tue Nov 9th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Depends on what I am doing, but I have a MX helmet with goggles and an "Enduro" style which is basically a MX helmet with a flip up face shield, like a full face street helmet, then of course a couple full face street helmets. For most of the dirt applications, the Enduro helmet works awesome, unless it is really dusty, then it is MX helmet and goggles.
:imwithstupid:

675Rider
Wed Dec 22nd, 2010, 06:55 AM
What are some things to look for in a MX helmet and goggles? Brands? Thanks!

csmith
Thu Dec 23rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
I don't know much about it, but I've been checking these out. http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3427&id=12187

brennahm
Thu Dec 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Scorpion VX-17. Fit me awesome, didn't have much trouble with pebbles in the face like Zach was talking about. I'd still be wearing it if the IMI pavement hadn't autographed it. FWIW, I REALLY racked my head in that highside and never got so much as a headache, sorespot, or anything. I'll be replacing it with another.

Bashed
Thu Dec 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
I love the purpose build DS helmets.
I had been using an Arai XD since they came out 6-8 years ago.
Since then I just picked up a slightly used Shoei Hornet DS. As my head is a Shoei shape it fits better as I had to preshape the Arai for no pressure spots. I really like the shield with the visor. Good up to 80 or so then the visor starts to pull back due to catching the wind. I cant stand goggles, I feel clastraphobic wearing then and have always just used a pair of wrap style shades. Lately a few other helmet manufactors have jumped on the DS bandwagon, including some decent examples from AFX, rebranded Polaris, Icon, Joe Rocket, and the popular but pricier Arai XD3 and Shoai Hornet DS.
Check'um out.

675Rider
Fri Dec 24th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks guys. Im a Scorpion fan as well brennahm, Ive been looking at those.

Tyarholar
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:52 PM
I wear the ICON VARIANT I like it but I also have a mx helmet for motocross. But for Supermoto style I wear the icon.

Repsol a095
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
I just wear thongs. Oh, were we talking about helmets?

Joe
Thu Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
For Commuting and Riding TO/Around Trails...
AFX FX-37 (http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=afx+dual+sport+helmet#q=afx+dual+sport+helmet&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=Y3FLTcy-F4WclgeV2_Qx&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDQQrQQwAA&biw=1272&bih=598&fp=9ef3f9d03422dc04)
It's Comfy, Dirt Cheap, and you can throw on goggles once you've ridden to the trail and need more airflow. I've had mine for 2 years and still like it.

For Racing and Riding trails (that I've Driven To)...
Good Ol' Fashioned HJC Dirt helmet with goggles.

DO NOT Commute in a dirt helmet, I've been caught in 2 hailstorms, and have been hit by way too many microscopic rocks and bugs on the tip of my nose to ever make that mistake(s) again.

modette99
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 01:02 PM

asp_125
Fri Feb 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
For Commuting and Riding TO/Around Trails...
AFX FX-37 (http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=afx+dual+sport+helmet#q=afx+dual+sport+helmet&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=Y3FLTcy-F4WclgeV2_Qx&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDQQrQQwAA&biw=1272&bih=598&fp=9ef3f9d03422dc04)

:up:

If dust is a problem, you can always remove the visor and wear goggles.