PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating a rear sprocket?

SloBlue
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I have a new steel rear sprocket on the way for my bike and I'm curious, does anyone have an opinion on getting it powder coated with some cool matching color before I install it? I don't know if it wouldn't last and would look bad in 1000 miles or if it would just wear where the chain rides and the rest would stay looking good.

Some feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Captain Obvious
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Same question for an old used sprocket. I am making a garage clock out of an old used sprocket and was thinking about making it shiny.

Matty
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Spray paint!!!! Never have had an issue with chipping. just give it a few coats.

SloBlue
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Spray paint sounds a bit too much like temporary beauty to me. I haven't ever gotten anything powder coated, but it doesn't seem like a sprocket could be too expensive.

I was thinking if I just got it black, or if they were already doing some other color I liked, I might be able to get it lumped in with another job, rather that trying to get them to do a specific job on my sprocket in Tahitian Blue to match my bike. That would cost some bucks.

If I get energetic enough, I might take me wheels off, have Jim/TFOG dismount my tires for me and get my wheels powder coated this winter. Honda's finish job on my rims really isn't much better than a good Rustoleum spray job. They scratch when you look at them funny.

Does anyone have a ball-park idea how much that might cost?

OUTLAWD
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I would spray paint it before i powder coated it. All the colored sprockets i have seen are anodized (black on my gixxer held up very well) which is a very thin coating.

with a spray bomb, you could maintain the thin-ness and it would simply wear off where the chain contacts it. I would be worried that the powdercoat may be too think, then come off in chunks instead of just wearing through. All the steel sprockets I have are zinc plated or something and stay looking nice until they are worn out.

I know 303 had a deal with a local shop were they would sned parts for powder coating. Also, when doing the wheels, you'll have to pop the bearings out

brennahm
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 05:27 PM
+1 on not getting powdercoat on the sprocket teeth. That finish is thick enough you'd have to worry about damaging the chain.

fasterlaster
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 05:39 PM
In addition powercoating is usually limited to items that do not wear out. Sprockets do.

SloBlue
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I didn't think about the bearings in the wheels. I don't know that much about powder coating - I figured it was a just a tougher finish. Also, I thought you could just mask off bearings and such.

If the powder coat is that thick, I wonder if it would throw the sprocket slightly out of alignment if the wheel and sprocket are powder coated on the mating surface of the two.

McVaaahhh
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I powdercoated a sprocket for Ceaser a couple of years ago. Of course, the teeth wore off almost immediately but the rest held up just fine.

If you were worried about damaging the chain, you could just have the teeth taped off before coating.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 07:58 PM
most anywhere is gonna charge you a $50 minimum lot charge. even without custom colors.

As McV says, you can mask off areas not to be coated. you can also buy powdercoating supplies at ChinaFreight (Harbor) and use an old electric oven if you wish.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Nov 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM
example:
http://vfrworld.com/forums/1st-2nd-generation-1983-1989/23087-vf1000r-rebuild-2.html#post199316

The_Jackel
Mon Nov 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I would not worry about damaging the chain, if the chain goes on the sprocket without significant force the only thing that would wear is the powder coat. Just remember you will have to drill out the mounting holes and possibly the center hole if it slides over a hub, due to the extra thickness.

Should be pretty cheap to powdercoat even with custom colors roughly $20.

TFOGGuys
Mon Nov 15th, 2010, 10:50 AM
We have powdercoated wheels on several bikes (20-30) and never had a real problem. We remove stems and bearings, as well as brake rotors, prior to sending them off. usual turnaround is under a week, and bearings are usually under $20 per wheel (add another 10 or so for the cush drive if you get that coated as well). Powder prices vary according to the color, but a pair of wheels with the cush drive normally runs about $150.

As far as sprockets go, there's no good reason not to powdercoat, but as always, you should replace chain and both sprockets as a set.