PDA

View Full Version : Sumo/Street Fighter/Hooligan??

Sarge
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I'm looking to get another bike, but I'm trying to make up my mind about exactly what. I really want a Sumo or something along those lines, preferably 4-Stroke and liquid cooled, but also something that would make a decent commuter or hooligan bike AND be something the wife might be able to get into riding, so it has to be short(ish). (She's barely 5')

Might be a stupid question, but has anybody ever tried just throwing some knobbies on a little street fighter and riding around like a total hooligan? I want to be able to rock the dirt sometimes, nothing crazy like single trails in the middle of nowhere, but definitely able to hit some trails and such. I know most dual sports and dirt bikes are really tall and thin and have a lot of play in the suspension, but would any of you ever consider mobbing around on something like an ER-6N with some good rubber on it? Or maybe even a Versys?

http://images.psndealer.com/dealersite%2Fimages%2Fnewvehicles%2F2009_3_er6n_bl ue.jpg
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200810/kawasaki-versys-7_800x0w.jpg
The reason I bring up the ER-6N (I know it's just a naked Ninja) is because I found one with 500 miles on it for $4k, give or take.

Let the discussion/flaming commence. 8)

Bueller
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Just get a DRZ400SM
Knobbiest on a street bike = bad idea

Matty
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
You're going to have a hard time finding something like a tard or dualsport that will accomodate your wife's height. I'm 5'7" and my WR250R has a 36" seat height. Even after switching out my 21" front and 18" rear wheels, replacing them with 17" street tires and factory lowering the bike about an inch. I can still barely get the balls of my feet down. However, you could get a lowering link and shave the seat and that would take out another 3 inches or so. Which actually would be pretty good.

You ever want to take it out for a spin let me know.

And ya, knobbies on a sportbike isn't that smart. Besides most of the jeep trails and fire roads don't really call for knobbies.

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 07:33 AM
A streetfighter comes out of a garage, a naked bike comes out of a factory

Matty
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
A streetfighter comes out of a garage, a naked bike comes out of a factory
not always true......

Sean
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I'm looking to get another bike, but I'm trying to make up my mind about exactly what. I really want a Sumo or something along those lines, preferably 4-Stroke and liquid cooled, but also something that would make a decent commuter or hooligan bike AND be something the wife might be able to get into riding, so it has to be short(ish). (She's barely 5')

Might be a stupid question, but has anybody ever tried just throwing some knobbies on a little street fighter and riding around like a total hooligan? I want to be able to rock the dirt sometimes, nothing crazy like single trails in the middle of nowhere, but definitely able to hit some trails and such. I know most dual sports and dirt bikes are really tall and thin and have a lot of play in the suspension, but would any of you ever consider mobbing around on something like an ER-6N with some good rubber on it? Or maybe even a Versys?The Versys is a great commuter bike, good riding height for shorter people and a solid dual sport with the right tires. I would not consider it a hooligan or streetfighter bike at all. It's just a naked bike that's 75/25 street/dirt. Keep in mind it is pretty heavy for the dirt and does not fair as well as some other bikes when dropped/crashed. No need for nobbies unless you are going to get into a bunch of sand/mud. It is "like" a ninja, but detuned.

Matty
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 07:51 AM
The Versys is a great commuter bike, good riding height for shorter people and a solid dual sport with the right tires. I would not consider it a hooligan or streetfighter bike at all. It's just a naked bike that's 75/25 street/dirt. Keep in mind it is pretty heavy for the dirt and does not fair as well as some other bikes when dropped/crashed. No need for nobbies unless you are going to get into a bunch of sand/mud. It is "like" a ninja, but detuned.
ya but it's really ugly!!!

asp_125
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 07:56 AM
There's this guy on SV Rider that tarded out an SV
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/RussS_/SVAdventure/SVAdventure19Front2.jpg

Or you could fighter out a GS500, that ought to be low enough for the wife.
http://www.classic-japanese-bikes.com/images/suzukiGS500streetfighter2.jpg

Oh, yeah knobbies for the pavement.. not so good. Get some aggressively treaded adventure touring tires instead.

Sean
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 07:58 AM
ya but it's really ugly!!!I own a KLR, I can't judge. Besides, no one minds crashing ugly bikes. It's crashing the pretty ones that hurts. :up:

Sarge
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 08:10 AM
That SV looks awesome, and so does that GS500. I think Adventure Sport is more what I'm going for, but I'm stuck in Iraq and can't really just take a stroll to the nearest dealer and start sitting on bikes. Maybe I will just end up with a KLR or something, but they are tall. The whole point of this bike is NOT to be my pretty little (and EXPENSIVE) RSV, so if my wife drops it (or I do, you never know ;)) I won't have to cry about it. :cool:

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM
not always true......
Yep, always true. In the sense of where the term began and type of bike it was, a streetfighter was always a production model bike that had been modified, had its fairings removed, and customized, usually with whatever could be found to make the bike run. They're frankenbikes that were inspired by the customization of the cafe racers before them. Because this is how they were inspired and what they came from, I disagree that 100% stock factory bike can ever be a streetfighter. Wikipedia seems to it can be, but that's like saying a custom hot rod can be a standard, production car.

Matty
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Yes, Chris, i know the history behind cafe racers and street fighters. But your comment about street fighters "only" coming from one's garage is incorrect.

I disagree that 100% stock factory bike can ever be a streetfighter. Wikipedia seems to it can be, but that's like saying a custom hot rod can be a standard, production car.

A "Streetfighter" is a look. We all know the definition of what one is.... Regardless, Ducati decided to make one. They basically took a 1098 striped away the plastics, gave it a new front end, changed a few other things, and Viola.... a "Streetfighter." It's even the model's name!!! Now is it a true "Streetfighter" by definition??? Who knows, it really depends on what your definition is. I mean the same thing goes for SUMOs. Most people's definition of a SUMO is a "dirtbike" with street tires. So would my WRX or a DRZ or a Hypermotard be considered a SUMO by that definition? Fuck it...... just go ride!

As for the Hot Rod look, there's also the Chrysler Prowler....

Sean
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Maybe I will just end up with a KLR or something, but they are tall. If she's barely 5 feet, it probably won't happen. They sell lowering links for KLR's, but that might still be a stretch. You may have to wait until you get back to go and sit on some with her. From all of the stuff you're saying, the Versys might not be a bad option.

Matty
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 09:21 AM
the Versys might not be a bad option.
it's still really really ugly, lol!!!

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Yes, Chris, i know the history behind cafe racers and street fighters. But your comment about street fighters "only" coming from one's garage is incorrect.

A "Streetfighter" is a look. We all know the definition of what one is.... Regardless, Ducati decided to make one. They basically took a 1098 striped away the plastics, gave it a new front end, changed a few other things, and Viola.... a "Streetfighter." It's even the model's name!!! Now is it a true "Streetfighter" by definition??? Who knows, it really depends on what your definition is. I mean the same thing goes for SUMOs. Most people's definition of a SUMO is a "dirtbike" with street tires. So would my WRX or a DRZ or a Hypermotard be considered a SUMO by that definition? Fuck it...... just go ride!

As for the Hot Rod look, there's also the Chrysler Prowler....
So then there are two things, an actual streetfighter (which cannot come from a production line) and there is a streetfighter look. There are a lot of naked bikes that have the streetfighter look, but aren't streetfighters. A streetfighter is a one-off bike, so while a company can call their model whatever they like, that doesn't make the model any more a streetfighter than calling a Honda Civic a "supercar" makes it a Veyron.

Same thing with the Plymouth Prowler. While it may look like a hot rod, I wouldn't count that as a hot rod, and I'm not sure that anyone else did either, because a hot rod is a car you make in your garage.

Matty
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 09:46 AM
it is what it is........

salsashark
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 10:03 AM
What does and does not make a streetfighter is neither here nor there... I think we can all agree on one thing.

Versys = :puke:

Matty
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Versys = :puke:
more like..... :poo:

brennahm
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Sarge, if you're looking for an bike that's not intimidating I'd say look at something like a supermoto based on the description of what you're looking for.

I won't jump into Matty and Chris' love battle there but let's clear up at least one thing. A supermoto means 17" wheels. Period. I really think this is what you need to. Not only do they do just fine on dirt roads and basic trails with street tires, but they'll cause whatever bike you choose to be that much lower than one with dirt size rims on it.

I would also choose a sumo because it'll be way lighter than something like the versys or SV. This not only makes the bike easier to handle, but easier to pick up on those rare occasions it gets dropped, and with some inexpensive handguards and sliders you'll end up with very little damage.

DR-Z, WR, or other conversion and you'll be in the game for <$4k.

Matty
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I won't jump into Matty and Chris' love battle

Don't be jealous....... enough with this bike talk. Let's go shred!!!

salsashark
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Don't be jealous....... enough with this bike talk. Let's go shred!!!

pfft... just ordered a cold weather riding jacket, I'll be out on the bike.

Zach929rr
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I wonder what that sv650 is like.

GuitarX
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Yep, always true. In the sense of where the term began and type of bike it was, a streetfighter was always a production model bike that had been modified, had its fairings removed, and customized, usually with whatever could be found to make the bike run. They're frankenbikes that were inspired by the customization of the cafe racers before them. Because this is how they were inspired and what they came from, I disagree that 100% stock factory bike can ever be a streetfighter. Wikipedia seems to it can be, but that's like saying a custom hot rod can be a standard, production car.

You mean like this?

http://www.allpar.com/model/prowler.html

Just messing with ya. You are quite right that the spirit of streetfighters and hot rods is firmly based in the custom world. There are some machines that blur the edges though, like the Ducati Streetfighter and Plymouth Prowler.

Bueller
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I wonder what that sv650 is like.

Like a useless POS

brennahm
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM
^+1

tecknojoe
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I have a 2008 WR250x. I love the thing, but I could use money right now so I'd sell it. ~3k miles.

tards kick ass

sloridr
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Buy Patrick's drz. Maybe someone will post a link to his post for me.... A drz is a great all around bike be it a commute or street, dirt, or just tearing up the streets. Its a bike that you will most Lilly not ever get tired of riding.

On the other subjest, bikes spoke of I have no opinion.

GuitarX
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Sloridr - a MILLION posts? Seriously, is that for real? Holy macaroni. :shocked:

FZRguy
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Plus 1 on a sumo being versatile, light and fun!. I have a Kouba 1.5” lowering link on my DRZ (E model which was born with dirt bike travel). The fork stroke has been shortened 1” and seat shaved 1”….dropped another ½” via the triple clamps. I’m about 5’7” and it’s just right for me, and handles better with LCG.

tecknojoe
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Yea you can drop the stock suspension AND put on a lowering link. My buddy did it to his WR and it sank super low.

sloridr
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Sloridr - a MILLION posts? Seriously, is that for real? Holy macaroni. :shocked:

It says it on the interweb so it must be true ... No some mod got happy with the computer one day.

bodhizafa
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 08:40 PM
There's this guy on SV Rider that tarded out an SV
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/RussS_/SVAdventure/SVAdventure19Front2.jpgOh, .

Somebody on ADVrider put some knobbies on an R1 too :think:. Don't think they tricked it out like this SV though.

brennahm
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 08:41 PM
It says it on the interweb so it must be true ... No some mod got happy with the computer one day.

LIES! No mod is EVER happy...8)

Repsol a095
Tue Nov 16th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I have an 08 black DRZ that will be up for sale by this weekend if you are interested. It is in great shape with 8,000 miles and new tires. Hit me up if you are interested in taking a look. It is much better looking than the SV!