PDA

View Full Version : Moab - Good idea or bad idea?

noskills
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I know I'm 11 months ahead of myself but I've been getting the BRP dialed in and now I'm having dreams of Moab grandeur! I've always wanted to go but I'm not sure if my inner 12 year old is getting ahead of my outer FOG.

For those of you who have spent some time there, what's it like? How technical is it? Will I be in way over my head in this environment on a 300# bike with average skills? Are the trails strictly dirt or do you need plates in some areas? How long are the stretches between pumps or is it more of a bunch of small loops where you pack in your gas? Will I need bigger than a stock tank (80 mile reserve)?

Whatcha think?

Sean
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM
For those of you who have spent some time there, what's it like?
-It's amazing! I love it out there. Beautiful scenery every where.

How technical is it?
- As easy or hard as you want it to be. Pick up a trail book or two and do some research before you go. All of the trails are well marked and pretty accurate in their description of difficulty.

Will I be in way over my head in this environment on a 300# bike with average skills?
- If you are, turn around. You'll be fine, just don't do anything stupid. My bike was heavier and I survived. It's best to ride with a friend if you can.

Are the trails strictly dirt or do you need plates in some areas?
- State parks and roads you need plates. On BLM land you don't. (I'm pretty sure)

How long are the stretches between pumps or is it more of a bunch of small loops where you pack in your gas?
- Usually small loops. The only real place for gas is in Moab.

Will I need bigger than a stock tank (80 mile reserve)?
- There are a couple of longer trails that might need it. Just don't go on them, or if you do, bring a MSR bottle or two.

Whatcha think?
- Dooooooo eeeet! It's an awesome place to go ride. To bad you can't do the White Rim Trail (it's closed).

bodhizafa
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Who cares if its over your head :)....thats adventure riding!

Do your homework before hand (like you are) then find someone or a group and join them. Here or on ADVrider.

Moab is like Guiness, always a good idea :guinness:

Amazing place:up:

noskills
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Now it sounds as though my question should have been, who has an empty spot on their trailer and wants to watch me crash? Ok now I'm pumped!

Sean
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Who cares if its over your head :)....thats adventure riding! This advise only applies if you have a friend to help push your bike up a hill or out of a huge sand trap! :lol:

Def go with one or more people. A good riding buddy is invaluable!

Sean
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Now it sounds as though my question should have been, who has an empty spot on their trailer and wants to watch me crash? Ok now I'm pumped!advrider.com

noskills
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 12:31 PM
advrider.com

I'm enthralled by the intro pictures I cant even enter site. Thanks

bodhizafa
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 12:34 PM
This advise only applies if you have a friend to help push your bike up a hill or out of a huge sand trap! :lol:

Def go with one or more people. A good riding buddy is invaluable!

Good points :up:

Can't wait to do another Moab trip!

Sean
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I'm enthralled by the intro pictures I cant even enter site. Thanks Go read the Ride Reports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2) page, that should get you through until May. :hump:

asp_125
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
So... think a germanic pig like my beemah is suitable for the trails out there? I'm sure I too, will make the trip to Moab one day.

.. must.. not ... click.. ADVrider... must resist. :D

bodhizafa
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM
So... think a germanic pig like my beemah is suitable for the trails out there? I'm sure I too, will make the trip to Moab one day.

.. must.. not ... click.. ADVrider... must resist. :D

My bike too is a "germanic pig". (400+lbs) Thats why you bring a buddy, to help lift the damn thing. :)

Sean
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM
So... think a germanic pig like my beemah is suitable for the trails out there? I'm sure I too, will make the trip to Moab one day.I've seen gs1150's and ktm 950's out there. Bodhizafa and I were out there on the KLR and his F800 and did fine. In fact, he had a freaking blast! The only suggestion I would say is to get tires a little more agressive than street tires. I was fine 80% of the time, but could have used the tread in a few places. Especially SAND!

Bueller
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I personally don't care for adv rider, I am more into Thumper Talk (rocky mnt. forum) and there is a local meetup group I will have to look for the URL. I imagine I/we will be making the pilgrimage out in early spring again. This time I will likely be looking to do some more advanced trails depending on the riding companions that show.
I will however be doing multiple excursions to the Taylor Park area, that is some of the best riding in the western area. Again there is anything from DS easy fire road to insane single track and the high country is at least as beautiful as the desert just in a different way.

Sean
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Damn you, now I've been daydreaming about Moab at work...:banghead:

asp_125
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM
We NEED a big trip out there in the spring. Noobs, non-noobs.. :D

bodhizafa
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Damn you, now I've been daydreaming about Moab at work...:banghead:

I hear ya, I've been looking at new bags today for the GS (tank, saddle). :mad:

bodhizafa
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 02:57 PM
We NEED a big trip out there in the spring. Noobs, non-noobs.. :D

Sounds like a plan. :rock:

Sean
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I hear ya, I've been looking at new bags today for the GS (tank, saddle). :mad:Why Jay, what happened to yours out in Moab? :slappers:

bodhizafa
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Why Jay, what happened to yours out in Moab? :slappers:

Hey, they still made it. Reminds me of a few more tips 1. bring plenty of extra bungee cords.....and 2. make sure your bike with saddle bags can fit through a skinny trail enclosed by big rocks. :eyebrows:

jbnwc
Wed Nov 17th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Moab in a car was fricken amazing. Moab on a bike would be more surreal than I can imagine.

Dogsbody
Sun Nov 21st, 2010, 12:50 PM
I've mountain biked for years in Moab and I've since been a few times (once during Jeep Week, that was nuts) on the dirt bike and I rode 90% of the trails that I usually MTB on. I'll say this, it's harder on a dirt bike... but I had a great time and would do it again in a heartbeat. You owe it to yourself to ride Slickrock while you're there too. The traction is phenomenal and if you've got big stones, Lion's Back is calling your name. There's great riding in the La Salles too.

Don't forget about Fruita, there's good trails there too.

One thing I might add. Regardless of where you ride in Moab, stay, stay on the trail. There's macrobiotic crust almost everywhere that basically holds the desert soil together and that takes decades to recover from errant tire marks or even foot prints for that matter.

noskills
Sun Nov 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM
I will definitely need to hone my skills. Add 50 lbs more motorcycle, 10 more hp and a perpendicular log in the trail and my average skills went to total crap. 8 more weeks and I can try again.

Bueller
Sun Nov 21st, 2010, 07:46 PM
That sucks, heal up and come early spring we'll have some dirt clinics. Where did you go down?

noskills
Sun Nov 21st, 2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah broken stuff will heal. Thanx. I was up at Rampart. I was taking it pleanty easy on the trail that runs perp to the road just in case. Good thing cause I was alone and about 15 miles in when I went down. I think forst service fell this tree to fix a water rutted path by forcing bikes out.

I'm not way new to dirt just this beast. I've put a few hours on 250 2 smokers and 450F's in the past. Never the less I'll take all ther schooling I can get causing learning is way less painfull.

edit: clutching for 28 miles with a broke ass hand sucks. of all the times I could have used a Rekluse!

bodhizafa
Sun Nov 21st, 2010, 11:17 PM
Damn that sux!

FZRguy
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
Def going in the spring but it'll be MTB instead of moto.

Bashed
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Mother
Of
All
Biklng

I have been going to this area since dirt bikes still had twin rear shocks.
I agree that it is probably top three in my book to ride dirt.
It's south Utah is top five for sportouring. Nothing quite like coming down thru the pines and aspens at double the posted and bam, hit the desert canyons in less than 15 minutes, very extrodinary. I would be willing to lead an expert crew on my secert-squirrel backway from Moab over to Ray's Bar in Green River for a burger and then back to Moab. Lots of stuff from fast desert single track to enless sand washes to slickrock trails and there is even a old enduro loop out north east of Whitewash. Not for the faintharted, squimish, bulletproof, whiney, folks who cant change thier own tire trailside. Say when and I'll prep the bike and head that way.
Basher

modette99
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 10:32 AM

pwrtrippin
Sun Jan 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
ummm that would be 2011, or did I miss something

modette99
Sun Jan 16th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Irishboxer8
Sat Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
MOAB is ALWAYS a great idea!

LordLosh
Sat Jan 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
how are the actual paved roads? any nice twisties or canyon type roads close by? I was thinking about going down during jeep week and just riding my bike while all my friends do the jeep crawl stuff then come back at night for the parties?

TFOGGuys
Sat Jan 22nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Go read the Ride Reports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2) page, that should get you through until May. :hump:

of 2027.....

asp_125
Wed Jan 8th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Bumping an old thread. OK, we're gonna do it. But a few more questions. How is it at the end of Feb / early March? I want to hit it before high season for cheaper rates and fewer Jeeps. We're trailering so no worries about snow unless I-70 closes. Looking to camp near town, KOA or someplace with hookups and internet since I'll try to do some work in between riding. ANy recommendations?

Tiutis
Wed Jan 8th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Bumping an old thread. OK, we're gonna do it. But a few more questions. How is it at the end of Feb / early March? I want to hit it before high season for cheaper rates and fewer Jeeps. We're trailering so no worries about snow unless I-70 closes. Looking to camp near town, KOA or someplace with hookups and internet since I'll try to do some work in between riding. ANy recommendations?

It's still can be pretty cold 50's, and if it's windy, it really sucks. April/May are a lot better weather wise.
There is a huge KOA/campground 1mile south of the town. Not sure if they have internet or not.

Bueller
Thu Jan 9th, 2014, 06:02 AM
The KOA is pretty decent, I have stayed in it a few times. RV and tent. Yes they have wifi.

teamextreme
Fri Jan 10th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Thread title needs to be changed..."Moab - Good idea or Friggen awesome idea?

February will be a crap shoot. Could be absolutely perfect riding weather in the upper 50's or low 60's, or a full on winter blizzard or anything in between. I'd go though, chances of good weather are better than bad. Make sure you have a good heater. It will be below freezing at night. Be aware that we refer to the KOA as the Campground Nazis. They can be pretty uptight about any shenanigans, even in the mildest form. Better have the campfire doused and sleeping quietly by 10:00. And no vehicle repairs going on, etc. Jeeps aren't an issue unless you're there during Jeep Safari. Otherwise they're outnumbered by pretty much everyone else, especially side x sides as of late, whose numbers have exploded over the last 2 or 3 years.

mathman1000
Fri Jan 10th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Don't waste your time at the KOA. Head up the hill to the Sandflats Campround, near the slick rock trail head. Best place in town to camp, and the view to the Lasals is amazing.

We go to Moab 2-3 times a year to mtn bike and dirt bike. One my favorite dirt bike trails, thats not too technical, is out to Chicken Corners. Along the way to go over a pass that looks out across the white rim......AMAAAAZING! Also, we do the White Rim trail everytime we go as well. It's about 160miles from gas station back to the same gas station in town (we head out past the pot ash plant and return via Mineal Bottom Road).

I've traveled all over the world, and Moab is still my favorite place to return to...... I could spend hours dreaming about all the cool shit there is to do there. And that's not even mentioning the mtn biking.....whowa.

asp_125
Fri Jan 10th, 2014, 01:32 PM
We can ride to the views, but we need a pull through site for they toy hauler plus friends in other toy haulers. So we're probably staying at an RV park. I'm also thinking Chicken Corners, Onion Creek, Monitor/Merrimack, Klondike Bluffs as good newbie dirt trails.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Jan 10th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Hell's Revenge and Golden Spike are our favorites. Golden Spike is actually Poison Spider Mesa then Golden Spike then Gold Bar Rim to get out. It is awesome!!!

Wheeled Moab for over ten years before we started riding out there. The dunes in Green River are pretty cool, too...

mdub
Tue Apr 1st, 2014, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=mathman1000;751263]Don't waste your time at the KOA. Head up the hill to the Sandflats Campround, near the slick rock trail head. Best place in town to camp, and the view to the Lasals is amazing.QUOTE]

I was chking out some reviews in regards to Sandflats. i will be heading out after the big jeep wk-end. So hopefully i can get a site in either A or B.