PDA

View Full Version : US Should Follow the Swiss more Closely

Dietrich_R1
Fri Nov 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nf1OgV449g&feature=player_embedded

1) Mandatory Military -OR- Country Service (You have to serve your country/community 1 way or another).

2) Keep your gun... U Earned it!!!!

PS... If you don't do the service, you pay a fee, &/or aren't allowed LOW interest educational or housing loans. Something of the such.

What's the thoughts here? Pro's & Con's please!! Their just thoughts, so if someone doesn't agree... pull ur own undies out of a bundle!!! HA!!

cbrjohnny
Fri Nov 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
sounds like the jewish military, i wonder if the u.s. has any connection with them? lol

tecknojoe
Fri Nov 19th, 2010, 07:17 PM
The benefits of an all voluntary military is the fact that a lot of them WANT to be out there fighting for their county. (yes i'm not including times of draft)

I pick USA

Wrider
Fri Nov 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
The benefits of an all voluntary military is the fact that a lot of them WANT to be out there fighting for their county. (yes i'm not including times of draft)

I pick USA

Heh you might want to talk to a lot of military before saying that. Most hate being in the military but it was a situation that kind of made them do it. Like not being able to find a job, or getting kicked out of the house, something like that.

tecknojoe
Fri Nov 19th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I said a lot not all. i am aware that some have shitty situations. I know a shitload of military people

Sarge
Fri Nov 19th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Dietrich, I have to ask, have YOU served in the Military?

brennahm
Fri Nov 19th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I think the idea that you can get out by paying a fee or being denied discounts is a HORRIBLE idea. If you're going to have mandatory service (another argument), then the rich should not be excluded.

This whole concept is an interesting conversation to have, no doubt; but often in situations like these you have to recognize and understand the difference between the US and most other countries of the world.

For instance, the US is often penalized by critics who say we need mass transit like Europe, yet these critics fail to take into account that a great deal of our population lives in areas that are not metropolitan, meaning that things are way more spread out than in Europe where space/land is at a premium.

I think this is a similar situation in that while I agree with everything that the man in the video has to say, there is a large part of our population who doesn't own guns, will never own guns, and don't see the need for it. Part of living in a country as populous, diverse and spread out as the US is needing to understand that it's very hard to reach a consensus, probably harder than in smaller (population and size wise) countries. Also, relatively speaking, we're pretty isolated from our neighbors, and the ones we do have are "weak" in the international sense of the word.

Just food for thought...

Dietrich_R1
Sat Nov 20th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Dietrich, I have to ask, have YOU served in the Military?

No, but probably would have done me good.. HA!!!

TFOGGuys
Sat Nov 20th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Most Israeli citizens are required to serve in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) for a period of between two and three years. Israel is unique in that military service is compulsory for both males and females. It is the only country in the world that maintains obligatory military service for women. But the IDF grants general exemptions from compulsory service to various segments of the population, including Israeli Arabs, students engaged in religious studies in an accredited Jewish Law institution , women who are married, are pregnant or who have children, and women who declare that they lead a religiously observant life and who choose to pursue 'national service' - community work.
All eligible men and women are drafted at age 18. Men serve for three years, women for 21 months. Deferments may be granted to qualified students at institutions of higher education. New immigrants may be deferred or serve for shorter periods of time, depending on their age and personal status on entering the country. Upon completion of compulsory service each soldier is assigned TO a reserve unit. Men up age 51 serve 39 days year period time which can be extended in times emergency. Recent policy has been reduce the burden whenever possible and reservists (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/israel/army.htm#) who have served combat units may now discharged at 45. Career Military Service: Veterans of compulsory service meeting current IDF needs may sign up as career officers or NCOs. The career service constitutes the command and administrative backbone of the IDF. Graduates of officers' or pilots' schools or special military technical schools are required to sign on for periods of career service.

from: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/israel/army.htm

MAZIN
Sat Nov 20th, 2010, 08:49 AM
sounds like the jewish military, i wonder if the u.s. has any connection with them? lol

Whats wrong with the IDF or the fact that the US is allies with Isreal?

salsashark
Sat Nov 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I think the idea that you can get out by paying a fee or being denied discounts is a HORRIBLE idea. If you're going to have mandatory service (another argument), then the rich should not be excluded.

This whole concept is an interesting conversation to have, no doubt; but often in situations like these you have to recognize and understand the difference between the US and most other countries of the world.

For instance, the US is often penalized by critics who say we need mass transit like Europe, yet these critics fail to take into account that a great deal of our population lives in areas that are not metropolitan, meaning that things are way more spread out than in Europe where space/land is at a premium.

I think this is a similar situation in that while I agree with everything that the man in the video has to say, there is a large part of our population who doesn't own guns, will never own guns, and don't see the need for it. Part of living in a country as populous, diverse and spread out as the US is needing to understand that it's very hard to reach a consensus, probably harder than in smaller (population and size wise) countries. Also, relatively speaking, we're pretty isolated from our neighbors, and the ones we do have are "weak" in the international sense of the word.

Just food for thought...

I think this is an important point that is lost in a lot of these arguments. Compare the size of the US to any one country in Europe. Now, tell every country in Eur that they should all agree on every policy and all work together and I think you'd see similar discourse as we have in the US.

Matty
Sat Nov 20th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Whats wrong with the IDF or the fact that the US is allies with Isreal?
I was wondering the same thing.

cromer611
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 01:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiNpxLe4Rmk&feature=related

Dietrich_R1
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiNpxLe4Rmk&feature=related

Was that a "Real" commercial????

I chuckled....... But???

mathman1000
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 06:16 AM
I think having all kids serve our country would be a great thing (including the rich, being able to buy out is BS).

BUT, serving could be in many different capacities; NOT necessarily military. Think of all the government jobs around the country..... From sanitation-military-national parks-roads- etc etc....

I think many more people would be open to it IF it didn't mean that the government is going to put a gun in their child’s hands as soon as they graduate high school. I own guns, but respect people who don't want anything to do with them. It's a choice; I get it.

I think it would help to bring a greater feeling of patriotism to our youth that is greatly lacking. At times I feel like many kids don't even realize they live in such a great country, they just go home and play video games everyday and that's their world. Not all kids, but a lot......

Dietrich_R1
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
I think having all kids serve our country would be a great thing (including the rich, being able to buy out is BS).

BUT, serving could be in many different capacities; NOT necessarily military. Think of all the government jobs around the country..... From sanitation-military-national parks-roads- etc etc....

I think many more people would be open to it IF it didn't mean that the government is going to put a gun in their child’s hands as soon as they graduate high school. I own guns, but respect people who don't want anything to do with them. It's a choice; I get it.

I think it would help to bring a greater feeling of patriotism to our youth that is greatly lacking. At times I feel like many kids don't even realize they live in such a great country, they just go home and play video games everyday and that's their world. Not all kids, but a lot......

I think I focused 2 much on the Military, or at least that's how it conveyed. I agree that there should be "options".

What those are... That opens the door????

TFOGGuys
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
The Israelis offer several paths, IDF or a number of civilian national service options(particularly for those that have religious objections to military service). I think this leads to people that are more involved in their own governance. Here, a hotly contested election might see 50% of eligible voters actually vote, there,70 to 80 percent is the norm.

Snowman
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
Maybe take it a step further. If you want the right to vote in your countries elections you must do government service first.

Think
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Heh you might want to talk to a lot of military before saying that. Most hate being in the military but it was a situation that kind of made them do it. Like not being able to find a job, or getting kicked out of the house, something like that.
I would definitely say that these people are not the majority. Most of the people I know joined for other than some financial difficulty.

I had a buddy that I went to high school with who was from Austria. There they do a couple years of either mandatory military service or some other type of community service.

Wrider
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
I would definitely say that these people are not the majority. Most of the people I know joined for other than some financial difficulty.

I had a buddy that I went to high school with who was from Austria. There they do a couple years of either mandatory military service or some other type of community service.

I've had the opposite experience. Most military I have known/talked to joined as either a financial way to have a secure job or to get out of somewhere they didn't like and didn't have many other options to get out of there.

salsashark
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Service guarantees citizenship.

Would you like to know more?

Captain Obvious
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Service guarantees citizenship.

Would you like to know more?

Yes I would. I am already doing my part. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/cottonmanifesto/Jef%203oclock%20snapshots/snapshot060707.jpg)