PDA

View Full Version : Autozone won't load test battery

Penadam
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
So the battery on the cbr is probably shot, but just to confirm, I wanted to get it load tested at Autozone. Took it in, and they threw the load testing on it, but as I expected, it didn't have enough charge to test. I had them put in on their trickle charger and stopped by this afternoon to have them do the load test now that it was fully charged. The manager there said he couldn't load test it because "it would harm the battery" as the testing was sized for car batteries and would overly discharge a motorcycle battery.

Has anyone else experienced this? They can set the resistance of the load tester (corresponding to the rated battery cranking amps) to whatever they want. I couldn't see how a motorcycle battery is any more likely to be damaged than a car battery if you've set what you want it tested at correctly. Since it's not worth arguing with the guys there, I'll just do an in bike test, but I don't expect a whole lot from a battery manufactured in '03.

asp_125
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
I got my bike battery load tested at Batteries Plus. No issues there.

MetaLord 9
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
I got my bike battery load tested at Batteries Plus. No issues there.
Ditto. I was able to find that I had a bad cell in the battery as well.

Penadam
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Of course the nearest one is 30 min. away, sometimes I hate Lakewood. Guess I'll head over to one and see what they say.

brennahm
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
Unfortunately, you just can't expect too much from AutoZone.

Good luck, but it seems like you already know that battery should be replaced...

Wrider
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah load testing a battery on a car battery tester won't overly discharge it...

Sleev
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
y, if it's the original battery you may as well save yourself some time and buy a new one

Penadam
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
My only worry is that there might be another issue with the charging system, as I started losing dash lights and getting power surges (likely poor spark or low fuel pressure) at the end of a short (30 min) ride last week. I know the battery is getting old, but the bike should be able to stay running from the charging system. If I know for sure the battery is good or bad, I can work from there. Hopefully, It's just shot and everything will right itself when I get off my lazy butt and replace it. If not, I guess the multimeter and I will be spending some quality time together. I started playing with things today, but it was too damn cold. I'll just have to take it up to my buddies garage, but that's an after holiday job.

Sarge
Mon Nov 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
+1

If it's 7+ years old, and discharged, then it's def sulfated and absolutely no good. Get a new one.