PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Dual Sport

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
Hope I can join the club. Ditched my Shadow and picked up a DR650

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/DR650/VP1793920_2.jpg

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/DR650/VP1793920_3_large.jpg

asp_125
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the dirty club

Sean
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
Congrats! :up:

The fairing says DR650. What's the difference between the DR and DS?

Bueller
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the dirty club

Welcome to the Dump and Grunt club :lol:

tecknojoe
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 05:35 PM
:lol: what they said ^

God, why does EVERYONE have a damn DRZ out here?? Yamaha for life

Bueller
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
God, why does EVERYONE have a damn DRZ out here??

That is 1 and a half DRZ's glued together.

Repsol a095
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Was this the one up in Loveland?

brennahm
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Congrats man!

OUTLAWD
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM

looks like tri-city from the pix

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Congrats! :up:

The fairing says DR650. What's the difference between the DR and DS?

Just my fat fingers or non-working brain.

That is 1 and a half DRZ's glued together.

That's what I understand. Was told that by the third time you try to pick it up n a day you're ready to throw in the towel. I doubt that's what you meant but I read lots of complaints about the weight on the trail. The plus, I've read, is that the weight makes it a more comfortable street ride.

you are correct sir. I haven't taken photos yet and the pics above were stolen from their site.

Bueller
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
I doubt that's what you meant but I read lots of complaints about the weight on the trail. The plus, I've read, is that the weight makes it a more comfortable street ride.

Yep I was talking weight, all the big 650's are a handful on trails.
I am a trail rider so my bikes have plates for the occasional pavement, my concern is more how it rides in the dirt, that's where mine is comfortable, well not really, my seat is a 2x4, but I try to stand as much as my old ass can.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 06:16 PM
I had read opinions that the 650 was a street bike capable on dirt while a 400 is a dirt bike capable on street. So I went the 650 route because I suspect 75% of the riding it will see will be paved on the way to the trail.

Maybe some day you can learn me something on the dirt. Been a while since I've ridden single track and was probably never really all that good anyway. I'll get from A to B but I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement.

Repsol a095
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM
I was thinking of picking this one up; it looks super clean! Congrats, man!

Matty
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
congrats...

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions on "must have" gear or accessories. I have about $200 in immediate disposable funds to go with the new acquisition.

Matty
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:30 PM
if you plan on hitting trails you might want to get a skid plate and some real barkbusters (Handguards).

Bueller
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Full wrap around skid plate, save the engine. Aluminum hand guards, save the levers when you drop it and hands in the trees.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks both of you. I had the skid plate on the radar screen but hadn't considered better hand guards.

Bueller
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Don't listen to Matty he don't know what he's talking about, otherwise he woulda suggested radiator guards.

Matty
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
Don't listen to Matty he don't know what he's talking about, otherwise he woulda suggested radiator guards.
Hahaha.... ninja'd bitch!!!

But ya Radiator guards are a smart idea. Cost me a $100 for a damn fan. Plus i still need to see if i can get mine straightened.

Bueller
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
his bike is an air cooler so no guards needed ;)

you beat me to the punch but I had to give details

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Forced air for the oil cooler?

I will consult the google machine. If you have a link handy, it'd be appreciated.

I'm guessing that one can wait 'till April

brennahm
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Thumpertalk is your friend.

Zach929rr
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Welcome to the Dump and Grunt club :lol:

+10000

Also, nice choice.

bodhizafa
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Thumpertalk is your friend.

Thumpertalk or ADVrider.

Joe
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Gotta get a rack and a milkcrate.
Nothing's finer than dragging home a dirty-thirty of Keystone Light with your bike.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Not sure my marriage or job could handle me involved in yet another forum.

The milk crate mod has moved to the top of the list. Maybe I can get that one handled today.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 08:09 PM
failed to score a milk crate today but the battery tender pigtail mod is installed.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Dec 5th, 2010, 08:39 AM
went down to Pawnee Main Draw area yesterday and put her down hard. Some areas shaded from the sun were pretty slick and lost the front end. No damage other than a broken lever and bruised shoulder.

Also blew a fork seal there and ran out of gas on the way home.

Great times. Also got my Vapor trail computer installed.

Bashed
Sun Dec 5th, 2010, 09:01 AM
It's good to see you out exploring on your D/S. Don't let the little tip overs slow you down, that's what they do. Just keep them to a minimum. Next year we need to get together and do a few rides.
Basher

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Dec 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM
It's good to see you out exploring on your D/S. Don't let the little tip overs slow you down, that's what they do. Just keep them to a minimum. Next year we need to get together and do a few rides.
Basher

:up:

Sounds like a plan.

Not sweating the crash. Neighbor that went with on his ATV said "OH NO!" I said, "no worries, that's what I bought it for - knowing it would hit the dirt."

modette99
Sun Dec 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM

http://whoaskedyoushow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/man_boobs.jpg

modette99
Sun Dec 5th, 2010, 01:46 PM

http://whoaskedyoushow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/man_boobs.jpg

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Dec 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
hope to do lots of that stuff next season

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Dec 7th, 2010, 07:40 PM
skid plate - check
bark busters - check
milk crate - check
new trail computer gizmo - check
fresh fork seals - check

spring here yet?

Xtremjeepn
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I also picked up a dual sport......um....actually two KLR650s for me and the girl to go ride soemof the back roads with. We plan on doing to longer distance hauling on them so the KLR seemed to be a decent choice. ( and cheaper when you have to buy 2)

My R1 is nt getting much attention right now. The KLR is even fun to ride around town.

Would love to go explore some dirt roads this summer with anyone that wants to.

Ricky
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'd rather ride 99% of my miles on knobby tires on the street, than even 1% of those tires (the ones on it now) on ANY dirt. Actually, I'd rather not ride on the dirt at all with those tires. Ask Aracheon how much he loves the tires on his DRZ. He ended up in a similar situation as you, and fell like 15 times on his first day out. Get some knobbies on that baby. Performance Cycle had a sick deal on dirt tires about a month ago and I picked up a pair of Dunlops for $90. But then again, if you don't have another bike, then having a middle of the road tire might be best for you.

And yeah, heavy ass bike. I love my WR250... light, easy to pick up, easy to flick around.

Otherwise, congrats. I've found a new love for the dirt, and I have a feeling my street bike is going to be jealous next summer.