PDA

View Full Version : Jump starting a car with you bike??

jbnwc
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
I've done this a few times in the past when car batteries died and I couldn't get a car close enough to do the jump(like when they die in the garage). It didn't do any noticeable damage, but I'm wondering if I was just lucky or if it's perfectly ok to do this??

Tylar
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
Lucky? Depends on the battery in the bike and it's charge in relation to what you're jumping.

No way in hell my bike battery will jump my diesel. BUT, it may have jumped the old Honda Civic the wife used to have....

FZRguy
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
Best $50 you'll ever spend.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871486000P

jbnwc
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I've jumped both my 4.2 six and 5.3 v8 in the past. I tend to park facing forward in the garage and it gets me in trouble sometimes. I was just thinking about it with the winter weather coming on soon.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 09:24 PM
most bike charging systems are barely strong/durable enough to sustain themselves. The RR and stator isn't designed to handle that much of a load. Even the gauge of the wires that handle the load from RR to battery are rarely any heavier than the wire going to your turn signal.

Many bike mechanics don't even recommend you use the bikes charging system to charge it's own battery from dead whenever possible (i.e. push starting). Buy a charger, borrow a charger, roll the car out of the garage, whatever you have to do but don't use your bike unless you want to break shit.

brennahm
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
^+1

jbnwc
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
roll the car out of the garage, whatever you have to do but don't use your bike unless you want to break shit.

You think it'd be as easy as rolling the car out, but these new cars don't make it that easy. They actually will lock the key in the ignition if the battery is dead enough - no kidding. Probably should invest in a handheld charger.

brennahm
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Or remove the battery and charge it, then reinstall.

Irishboxer8
Sat Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
I thought jumping it would fry the regulator rectifier?