PDA

View Full Version : Height Concerns

csmith
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
I've been looking into getting a dual sport or maybe a supermoto down the road, but the seat heights are a bit off putting. I have a 32" inseam and most of the bikes I've found are 35"+. Are all of you guys just that damn tall or do the suspensions on these bikes squat a bit more than usual?

I'm coming from sport bikes so I know nothing about this.

FZRguy
Tue Nov 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
You’ll have 2.5 to 3 inches of sag on a dirt bike. I have a 30 inch inseam and both my YZ and DRZ have been lowered via shortening the stroke of the fork/shock or a lowering link. Also shaved the seats an inch.

bodhizafa
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 12:20 AM
31 inch inseam and I can barely touch the ground on my GS. I do the capt Morgan stance whenever I stop. Never been a real problem offroad. Just make sure you got something under your foot if need be :)

Matty
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I'm just barely 5'7" with a 30" inseam. My WRR has over a 36" seat height. You can make it work.

Sean
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Go sit on some bikes. You'll see it's not that bad.

asp_125
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I have the disadvantage of being too light to compress many suspensions. I guess if I graduate from the GS to a "real" dirt bike I'll just adapt and Capt Morgan it.

FZRguy
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 06:46 PM
You guys can adapt if you want, but nothing made a bigger diff in my dirt riding then lowering and springing the suspension for my height and weight. I was close to dying off jumps with the stock suspension. It cost $600 but worth every cent. Next best $400 I spent was on a GPR damper. It’s kept me off the ground countless times.

Bueller
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Like they said total sag (static + rider) should be about 1/3 of travel so you should be able to flat foot a drz sm. My KTM's are very tall and I am 32" inseam, and I have no problems, I tippy toe both feet or one foot off to the side. And unlike John I have never noticed any real difference with a steering damper, if it had not of come on the bike I would never buy one.

tecknojoe
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Yo I have a 32 inch inseam and I ride a WR250x. I'm on my toes but both feet are down. It took NO time to get used to it (first bike is an R6). If you wanna check mine out some time let me know, I don't mind. Anything to open the world of dual sport to another unsuspecting soon-to-be-hooligan

noskills
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I can stretch my 31 in inseam to 38 inches with a little calf pump. Inseam is less important when balancing a 300 lbs bike.

Just came across this video. Check this guy out. When he stands next to his bike, you will see height is not so important. I imagine this is what I look like on the XR. Yeah I'm riding Daddy's motorcycle! So What!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbni8MBpFlI&feature=related

If you wanna check mine out some time let me know, I don't mind. Anything to open the world of dual sport to another unsuspecting soon-to-be-hooligan
+1 on this. Although mine's not a DS off the floor, it is street legal. If your near and dont mind scratched stuff mine is open for a sit and maybe a spin.

tecknojoe
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 10:18 PM
you said

sit and spin

:lol: