PDA

View Full Version : How much will registration cost?

tecknojoe
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I didn't know that Colorado combined taxes with vehicle registration, so I was surprised as shit when I registered my car.

They say they dont give estimates over the phone, so I want a ballpark number

08 Yamaha WR250x

also, when I got my license, they said you have 30 days to register all vehicles. What's the penalty if I don't?

Matty
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM
when i get my lazy ass up i'll let ya know what my 'o9 was.

salsashark
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 05:02 PM
penalty for late registration is 25 bucks per calendar month... so even if you're tags expire in the middle of the month and you wait until the first, they consider it 2 months.

Sales tax varies by county

brennahm
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Joe, since you just moved here there's no late fee or anything. They want you to register right away but they have no way to track it or penalize you. I waited until the FL registration on my truck ran out before I put CO plates on it. That was 8 months after I moved here and no fees.

tecknojoe
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 05:29 PM
word, that'd be nice. I think my shart plate has until jan or feb

Repsol a095
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I think that they are going to charge you extra because it is not a DRZ!

Seriously, +1 with Henry; I let my Cali registration run to the deadline before I switched over to Co plates.

We need together and ride soon. Hopefully, the temp will get up into the 60s this weekend!

tecknojoe
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 05:48 PM
yea im just curious how much the total will be for a ~4k bike cause I'm kinda broke right now from moving out here + some unexpected taxes

I'm itching for a track day on the R6 to tell u the truth. o well, it'll be a while. SNOWBOARD SEASON is here :)

Repsol a095
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I bet your reg is going to be around sixty bucks. My 05 DRZ was only thirty bucks. I know yours is a little newer, but I couldn't imagine that it would be more than double. You won't have to pay any taxes, just the reg fees.

TurboGizzmo
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Calculate the Fees
The DMV bases registration fees on your vehicle's weight, age, taxable value, purchase date, and type of license plate you order. DMV officials will not provide estimated fees over the phone. Some county websites, however, will help calculate your registration fees. While the state tax for your new vehicle sale tax rate does not vary, there may also be county and even city tax rates that will effect your total tax to be paid.

It links you to this site http://www.ccionline.org/

This county had a online calculator (it can very but should give you a idea) http://www.epcclerk.com/Estimate2.php

Taxable Value (85% of MSRP) = $4,000.00
multiplied by Year of Vehicle Rate = .012
plus the estimated cost by Type of Vehicle = $40.00
ESTIMATED TOTAL = $88.00

This is an estimate. Actual cost will vary. Other fees due (such as late fees) are not included in this estimate. Do not write out a check for this amount!

tecknojoe
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM
nice, thanks

and what I mean by taxes is this:

In VA (where I just moved from), registration is only like $40. But you pay personal property tax on your vehicle as well. These two things are separate. So when I got here, I went into DMV to get my car registered right away. She was like "alright that'll be $475.xx". What. the. fuck? That's when I found out that personal property tax is rolled into registration fee. Yea, I was NOT expecting that much that day. ouch.

Depths_of_Mind
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM
my '10 bimmer was 2 fiddy :(

FZRguy
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 08:08 PM
The above calculation is for reg fee only. You will have tax piled onto to that. My 2003 DRZ with a $900 purchase price was $135.

Bueller
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM
The above calculation is for reg fee only. You will have tax piled onto to that. My 2003 DRZ with a $900 purchase price was $135.

You paid sales tax, he has already paid that when he bought it out of state, he will pay ownership tax (property tax) which is deductible.

tecknojoe
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM
that shit is deductible???!!!!

FZRguy
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Only if you itemize deductions on Sch A.

TurboGizzmo
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 09:26 PM
nice, thanks

and what I mean by taxes is this:

In VA (where I just moved from), registration is only like $40. But you pay personal property tax on your vehicle as well. These two things are separate. So when I got here, I went into DMV to get my car registered right away. She was like "alright that'll be $475.xx". What. the. fuck? That's when I found out that personal property tax is rolled into registration fee. Yea, I was NOT expecting that much that day. ouch.

It use to be like that, I use to pay $25 bucks for my junky 95 civic, now its more than doubled to pay for bridges (one in loveland) and road taxes and other random crap ....reminds me to always go out and vote....

FZRguy
Wed Nov 24th, 2010, 09:34 PM
We had our chance with Prop 101.....but it was voted down.

Ricky
Mon Nov 29th, 2010, 04:06 PM
We had our chance with Prop 101.....but it was voted down.

Because it was radically stupid.

I waited until the last second to transfer plates when I moved here. Colorado has no idea about your old registration, nor are you required to even provide proof it was registered in another state unless you don't have the title.

I've never heard of a state where they don't make you pay the sales tax at time of registration, when you don't pay taxes at the dealership.

Also, vehicle sales taxes are based on the city/county/state combination you live in, then weight, age, and taxable value. I only pay like 4.7% on a vehicle because I live in Adams County Unincorporated.

Doron&Katie
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM
My '08 WR250R with new plates, brand new vehicle was around $250 or so in Jeffco

bulldog
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Joe, since you just moved here there's no late fee or anything. They want you to register right away but they have no way to track it or penalize you. I waited until the FL registration on my truck ran out before I put CO plates on it. That was 8 months after I moved here and no fees. Not always true. I tried this when I moved from New Mexico and got a knock on my door one day and there was a cop saying he noticed I had out of state plates but had seen me parking there for months. He gave me a a little while to change them over if not he threatend to ticket me. Maybe he was bluffing, but doubt it since they love revenue.

brennahm
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Yes, you CAN receive a ticket, but when I said "they" I meant the DMV.

tecknojoe
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
fuggit, bikes in the garage :lol:

lil_shane84
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 07:57 PM
just registered my 04 Explorer in SD again. i moved out here over 2 years ago. just called the South Dakota DMV for the county i used to live in, told them i needed to renew my registration and when she asked for my address to mail them i gave her this one. 68 bucks. which is what it was last year.