PDA

View Full Version : Need wireless help

Wrider
Thu Nov 25th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I know we have plenty of ubergeeks here so I figured it'd be a good place to ask.
We have Qwest DSL and have an Actiontec PK5000 modem on it. We just had one that kept dropping signals and so we got a new one last night.
This is doing half of the problems of the old one...

After the modem has been on for more than about 10 minutes, it refuses to let any computer/wii/anything else connect if it isn't already connected.

I checked the connection last night with a laptop kept in the living room, when you shut the lid it goes into sleep mode like most do. Well this morning it refuses to connect, even after a restart and turning the wireless off and back on.

Anyone ever heard of this problem? Have any ideas?

Sarge
Thu Nov 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Is the wireless not connecting on just the one computer, or is the internet going down for everyone?

Is the modem/router a separate device?

I've noticed a lot with DSL connections that if you move the PPoE to the router, namely your ISP username/password and let the router handle the login, and just use the modem as a passthrough, that it saves a lot of hassle with dropping connections, etc. Whenever I had DSL I always tried to use the simplest modem device available, and then a Linksys router, like an old WRT54G. I even brought one with me to Iraq.

Depths_of_Mind
Thu Nov 25th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I had teh same issue with qwest.. roughly the same time every day I'd get drops. They INSISTED it was my in-house wiring (even though my house was under 6 months old), and me being a former wire-dawg, told them where to stuff it. It very well could be their in house equipment, but because it is so sporatic, you need to call them as SOON as it happens and KEEP calling as soon as it happen.

You can try to plug in directly (hard line) into the router and not use the Wi-Fi for a few days and see if that's causing some issues too.

I know on my laptop and wireless router, I HAVE to be on channel 1 with the 20mhz bandwidth. Any other channel then that, I will get drops on ANY router I have (but that's just my laptop :( ).

Try directly plugging in, and if that still causes issues, call qwest every single time (as inconvienient as it actually is)

Wrider
Thu Nov 25th, 2010, 02:17 PM
That's the weird part... It's no longer dropping at all. Both of the computers are under 6 months old, running Windows 7, and we have a Wii that hooks up to it too (brand new).
All can connect without a problem, until about 10 minutes after the modem starts up, then you can see it but cannot connect at all.
As far as out setup... We've got the phone line running to the modem, then a hardline to the desktop, and two laptops and a Wii hooked up to the wireless. The hardline works just fine no matter what is happening with the wireless.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Nov 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Try a different wi-fi channel. Sounds like some sort of interference, probably from one of your neighbors who's using the same channel.

Wrider
Thu Nov 25th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Can't... In their effort to make it more user "friendly" they've deleted the option off of the pages to change the channels.

Nevermind, seems it was an option in a submenu I just found!

gtn
Thu Nov 25th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Did that fix it? If not, what security are you using?