PDA

View Full Version : braking markers

mopoet178
Fri Nov 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM
How do you effectively use braking markers and turn in markers?

What is your personal technique? Ex. wait till marker 2 just barely exits your periphery then squeeze the brakes? Do you remember how far off the edge of the track you are, how fast you are going? Do you write this stuff down?

I have done enough laps around IMI to just go by feel, but at more expensive tracks, I feel it is a waste of money to have to develop a deep feel for each corner before you can go fast. I think memorizing markers might speed up the learning curve so that I can go faster sooner. I think I could cut 10 seconds off my HPR times if I figure out how/when/where/how hard to brake into the corners. It is one of my largest weaknesses currently.

-Marsh

Graphite675
Fri Nov 26th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I'm afraid It's not that simple. You can't just say apply 3/4 brake at marker #2. Markers are nothing more then visual ques for you to use as you wish. You could ask 10 people this question and get 10 different answers on how/where they brake.
Nothing, and I mean nothing can replace track time and practice. Develop your line, find "your" braking points that work best for you.

mopoet178
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Thats not the answer I was looking for, but I believe it. I was hoping to hear someone's formula for learning a track QUICK... sorta like studying it in the morning so you can just blaze hot laps all afternoon. What is the best/quickest way to learn a whole new track?

Takes (always more) track time I guess, but track time takes money.

Mother Goose
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 10:30 AM
YouTube. :)

asp_125
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
By feel. The technique is the same whether you are at IMI or HPR. Assuming that you have developed a consistent feel for maximum braking; not under or over braking lap after lap. If you brake down past your turn-in you need to move your braking point back. Conversely if you find you can ease off the brakes before turn-in, then you can move your braking point further forward or brake less. Whether or not you trail brake from turn-in to the apex the same applys.

vort3xr6
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Wait til you see elvis, then brake.

Everybody brakes at God.

In all seriousness, Just keep increasing your braking marker. Just know that as speed is increased, turn in changes. For normal people without the last name spies or hayden, we have to build up our skill and confidence at every track.

Motodrew
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Here is my technique.

I see where Brad #206 is braking, then I brake after him. :p

UglyDogRacing
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Thats not the answer I was looking for, but I believe it. I was hoping to hear someone's formula for learning a track QUICK... sorta like studying it in the morning so you can just blaze hot laps all afternoon. What is the best/quickest way to learn a whole new track?

Takes (always more) track time I guess, but track time takes money.

Every track is different. Some are easy to learn, such as PPIR with it's 7 turns. On the otherhand HPR has 14 turns, some with blind entry, and a significant amount of elevation change. It will take much longer to learn. I suggest for your first session you follow someone that is experienced. When you come in between sessions, map the track out on paper. Do not limit it to just a track map with the turns, though. Also note your upshifting and downshifting and which brake marker you are using for each turn. It will help you learn the track and create a baseline that you can work on improving from.

dragos13
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I personally like to count as well as use brake markers. What this means, I will find a "marker" (usually a mark in the pavement, curve, bush, patch, etc. It can be anything that is always there and doesn't have to be the actual 3 2 1 markers) then I count. Not necessarily counting 1 2 3, but sometimes just a repetitive noise in your head.

Example, when I come into T3 at HPR I find where the pavement curves on the outside and lines up more with my line. I will count in my head (again I don't actually count 1, 2, 3 but rather just 3 tones or beeps) then I know when to turn in. When I come into turn 4, I will get to the 4 marker and count one tone in my head before braking.

Hope that helps cuz its hard to put into words on a forum but that is how my braking works lol.

Also, like Brad said just keep pushing them farther and farther until you run the turn too hot and can't hit your apex.

Another thing I have started doing is instead of braking really hard right when I start, I have been using a method that Turpin taught me, lighter longer. Try to do the hardest braking at the very end nearest to your apex (depending on the corner).

OUTLAWD
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM

determine what kind of animal the track looks like :dunno:

mopoet178
Wed Dec 1st, 2010, 06:31 PM
roadkill, in most cases

jbnwc
Thu Dec 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM

I like the T-Rex.