PDA

View Full Version : Tell me I am crazy before I trade the CBR for this.

sky_blue
Fri Nov 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/28s1yqt.jpg

I REALLY WANT this. But the idea of parting with the CBR is killing me!:puppy:

No, I can't have both...

Repsol a095
Fri Nov 26th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I think you are going to have a ton of fun with this! I have an R1 and a DRZ, and I have to tell you that I have so much more fun on the DRZ. You can go more places and truly do some adventure riding.

There will always be another bike, take this one and have fun!

tecknojoe
Fri Nov 26th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Dirt is a pantload of fun. Dump the CBR, learn dirt. if you miss sportbikes too much, you can always go back. but you should take the time to learn an entirely different aspect of riding a motorcycle, it will open your eyes...

and maybe make you shit your pants

sky_blue
Fri Nov 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I should mention I do also have a KLX250 that loves to throw me to the ground on trails. This BMW--I couldn't do trails on this beast. Dirt roads, yes.

tecknojoe
Fri Nov 26th, 2010, 08:41 PM
oh nice u already got the dirt hookup. IMO, I like having my r6 for the track. don't think I could ever stay away from it

JohnEffinK
Fri Nov 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Dooo Eeeet. I have not looked back.

And once you drop it the first time, it is all OK after that!

John

Sean
Fri Nov 26th, 2010, 10:34 PM
That bike is a lot of fun in the canyons. With road tires, it will lean in a corner pretty nicely!

Ghost
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM
You've got a bike for dirt and one for tracks & canyons, I'd keep those and skip the BMW.

bodhizafa
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I have an F800GS and love it! It can do a lot more than dirt roads. I love it so much, and use my R1 so little now that I've decided to sell the R1. Motor-wise, on the road its pretty similar to my girlfriends SV650. Biggest negative for me is the front suspension, definitely needs new springs (they are way too soft).

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

sky_blue
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.

I test rode the Beemer this afternoon. Ive been reading and drooling over this bike since it was released, so I really really wanted to love it.

I currently own a CBR600 and a Kawi 250 Dual-Sport. I bought the CBR with track-ambitions, but my work schedule has put me out of state for the bulk of the last three summers, so that has been put on hold. Not to mention, my fear of falling off the bike on the track seems to increase exponentially with each visit I make. I do trails on the two-fiddy, and it's done wonders for giving me confidence on a taller bike.

I've done some touring on the CBR, but I always kick myself when there is a dirt road I want to explore and I can't. The ergos are a challenge for touring, but if I twist the throttle hard enough, I forget my butt hurts.

I want to make the obligatory adventure ride to Alaska and the north slope. Lots of dirt roads. I driven the Alaska section in a truck, and I know he roads are more than the CBR could take. My little dirt bike would be fun, but it couldn't do the hundreds of miles of superslab to get there. Well, it could, but it wouldn't be very comfy.

But I don't get to buy all the bikes I want. The CBR does commuter duty and weekend fun duty, and anything I get to replace that would have to fill that role.

So I really want to love the F800GS.

The test ride went fine. The bike feels big, but not huge. I rode a low-seat model, and it's tall, but my tippy-toes touch. Things I've read about it having a "snatchy-throttle" are true, but I don't find it much more grabby than my sportbike. It sounds cool. Plenty of power in around-town traffic.

The one I want is used, and it's got some crash bars that are nice to rest my feet on. The aftermarket screen on it diverts wind into my head and would have to go. The bike has a bunch of scratches -- which takes the pressure off me adding new ones.

But after riding it I find myself underwhelmed. When I test rode the CBR, I knew I wanted it before I got around the block. With this bike, I don't hate it, but I didn't want to lick the bike to claim it either (I did lick the Ducati 1198S in the showroom). Maybe my expectations are too high. I know it's unfair to compare the CBR to the BMW, but that's the swap I'd have to make. Can I live without the slide-you-back-in-the-seat throttle response in any gear? Can I live without the screaming I4?

Should I be thinking of this bike as a tool more than a toy?

I WANT BOTH.

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 09:16 PM
test drive a Triumph Tiger 1050. I'd be curious to hear your comparison.

salsashark
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 09:36 PM
But after riding it I find myself underwhelmed. When I test rode the CBR, I knew I wanted it before I got around the block. With this bike, I don't hate it, but I didn't want to lick the bike to claim it either (I did lick the Ducati 1198S in the showroom). Maybe my expectations are too high.

I know what you're feeling. I really wanted to like the 800GS as well but after a demo ride, I found myself wanting. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten off the Multistrada and on to the 800GS, but it's how it worked out.

Tinker mentioned the Tiger 1050 but don't forget about that Triumph is putting out the Tiger 675 next year. It may also be a bike to look at.

Finding that "one" bike that does everything you want is a bit like chasing rainbows. I don't want to count how many it took me but now that I have my Multi, it's about as close as they come. :)

Bashed
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.

I test rode the Beemer this afternoon. Ive been reading and drooling over this bike since it was released, so I really really wanted to love it.

I currently own a CBR600 and a Kawi 250 Dual-Sport. I bought the CBR with track-ambitions, but my work schedule has put me out of state for the bulk of the last three summers, so that has been put on hold. Not to mention, my fear of falling off the bike on the track seems to increase exponentially with each visit I make. I do trails on the two-fiddy, and it's done wonders for giving me confidence on a taller bike.

I've done some touring on the CBR, but I always kick myself when there is a dirt road I want to explore and I can't. The ergos are a challenge for touring, but if I twist the throttle hard enough, I forget my butt hurts.

I want to make the obligatory adventure ride to Alaska and the north slope. Lots of dirt roads. I driven the Alaska section in a truck, and I know he roads are more than the CBR could take. My little dirt bike would be fun, but it couldn't do the hundreds of miles of superslab to get there. Well, it could, but it wouldn't be very comfy.

But I don't get to buy all the bikes I want. The CBR does commuter duty and weekend fun duty, and anything I get to replace that would have to fill that role.

So I really want to love the F800GS.

The test ride went fine. The bike feels big, but not huge. I rode a low-seat model, and it's tall, but my tippy-toes touch. Things I've read about it having a "snatchy-throttle" are true, but I don't find it much more grabby than my sportbike. It sounds cool. Plenty of power in around-town traffic.

The one I want is used, and it's got some crash bars that are nice to rest my feet on. The aftermarket screen on it diverts wind into my head and would have to go. The bike has a bunch of scratches -- which takes the pressure off me adding new ones.

But after riding it I find myself underwhelmed. When I test rode the CBR, I knew I wanted it before I got around the block. With this bike, I don't hate it, but I didn't want to lick the bike to claim it either (I did lick the Ducati 1198S in the showroom). Maybe my expectations are too high. I know it's unfair to compare the CBR to the BMW, but that's the swap I'd have to make. Can I live without the slide-you-back-in-the-seat throttle response in any gear? Can I live without the screaming I4?

Should I be thinking of this bike as a tool more than a toy?

I WANT BOTH.

I ride bikes to feel good. Some bikes I ride to feel great. Some bikes that are merely good in some instances and situations make me feel super. What I'm trying to say is this. Even though the bike that trips your trigger felt underwhelming on your test ride, it might just make you feel super in the enviroment in which it was intended. Crossed up, on a semi twisting gravel road or trail, drifting to the outside, hunting, searching, fighting for traction, to remain perched upright, winding the throttle open to stay on line, and out of trouble, this time, till the next turn, to do all over again. The thrill and danger, dancing the fine line of controlled chaos, it's the best feeling in the world for me. All to catch a fleeting glimpse of a snow-capped mountian top between the golden aspens whipping thru the cool mountian air, somewhere in the San Juans, with two or three of your best riding buddies. This is why I ride a street legal d/s bike. Dragging knee on the street is a whole nother kind of high, but it don't come close to what I just discribed, for me that's the best. Hope I could help.
Basher

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Great post Bashed. Took my dual sport out to Pawnee today and blasted down miles of open gravel roads in the middle of nowhere. No cars, traffic, po-po, painted lines, or leafers. Just a horizon full of mountain sunset at a place I couldn't get to on the VFR.

asp_125
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 11:32 PM
That's the thing, each bike is built for a special purpose. Track bikes carve corners, dirt bikes are for dirt.. naturally. I go from my 100+hp Gixxer to the Beemer and it's underwhelming in its handling, and lukewarm in acceleration. But when I can stick my laptop in the side cases for the commute, or take that dirt road or fire trail .. there's nothing like it. Perhaps your test ride should have included a shortcut across a grassy field or through a puddle or two. :D

(( LO LO ))
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 08:25 AM
That BMW looks like alot of fun... Trade the KLX 250 towards it, and keep the CBR for rip sessions on asphalt.

DorJammer
Wed Dec 1st, 2010, 07:20 AM
Feeling underwhelmed by a BMW

Been there done that.. Ask RYBO

I wanted a Beemer since I was a young man, finally, FINALLY got the scratch together to get one.. Test rode several

in a word.. bland, a better word was yours "underwhelmed". What a great word!

I met RYBO 2 hours after the last BMW test ride.. jumped on the Aprilia and it was overwhelmingly awesome!

Ride what gives you that feeling, because if we were just being practical we would all be in cages.

Sean
Wed Dec 1st, 2010, 07:59 AM
KTM 950/990 Adventure :hump:
/thread

salsashark
Wed Dec 1st, 2010, 08:05 AM
Ride what gives you that feeling, because if we were just being practical we would all be in cages.

AWESOME!!!