PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Heater problem- 2002 Rodeo

BigE
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Had the weirdest thing happen last night on my way to work. A half hour into my commute that heater started blowing cold air. So this morning on my way home, it worked again for 1/2hr then went cold. If I shut the blower off and leave it off for a few minutes then turn it on I'll get about 15 seconds of hot air then it goes cold again.
Just had an oil change and they s'posedly filled up the fluids, coolant overflow tank is pretty much empty. Checked the oil and there's no coolant in it (thank Heavens).

Any ideas????

Thanks.
E

Gramps
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Sounds like a blend door problem. Could be a switch or mltiple other things causing the problem.

It is not a result of getting your oil changed.

Take it to a professional and save yourself some grief.

matt2778
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a thermostat that's stuck open.

BigE
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Sounds like a blend door problem. Could be a switch or mltiple other things causing the problem.

It is not a result of getting your oil changed. I know that, just mentioned it because the tank should have had something in it and didn't.

Take it to a professional and save yourself some grief. Got some money to give me for that?

Sounds like a thermostat that's stuck open.

Matt, that's what I was thinking but it's not acting like a normal stuck open thermostat. The engine temp is warming up and holding at normal temp.

Some more info, the radiator is way low on fluid, have to go get some to add. Also noticed either steam or exhaust coming out from under a heat shield on the manifold. Was taking it off and, of course, had one bolt that has welded itself in place and the head is stripping (guess Gramps meck-a-nic wouldn't have issues like this:roll: :p Just kidding, I'm a bit on the tired side after working all night and a bit snippy BUT I do appreciate the help from ya both :up: ).
So I'm guessing either an external head gasket leak or radiator/ hose leak.

The Black Knight
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Matt, that's what I was thinking but it's not acting like a normal stuck open thermostat. The engine temp is warming up and holding at normal temp.

Some more info, the radiator is way low on fluid, have to go get some to add. Also noticed either steam or exhaust coming out from under a heat shield on the manifold. Was taking it off and, of course, had one bolt that has welded itself in place and the head is stripping (guess Gramps meck-a-nic wouldn't have issues like this:roll: :p Just kidding, I'm a bit on the tired side after working all night and a bit snippy BUT I do appreciate the help from ya both :up: ).
So I'm guessing either an external head gasket leak or radiator/ hose leak.
I would also check the Thermostat as Matt mentioned. Start with the little things first. From the sounds of it BigE, you may just have a thermostat that's on it's way out. It may work for a bit and then it's starting to give you some issues. It's worth changing as most thermos are fairly inexpensive.

I had one do something similar to this on a old pick-up I had in highschool. If I remember, I changed the thermo twice as the new one I got wouldn't open so took it back and got another.

You might also check your heater hoses.

BigE
Sat Nov 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I`ll probably throw a new thermostat in just for good measure but am still going to have to figure out where my coolant is disappearing to.
At any rate it`s going to have to wait for my day off on Mon.
Just love spending time off work fixing cars. :roll: :lol:

brennahm
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I assume you checked the carpet on the passenger side footwell and it's dry? Always first step with heater problems.

Are you sure you're losing coolant or is this just a deduction based on seeing the overflow reservoir low/empty?

Many cars have a heater control valve. They DO go bad. I don't recall them being particularly expensive.

DeeStylez
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Sounds like you have a coolant leak somewhere. Check your heater hoses first, that is my bet. I had this issue on my minivan a few months ago and ignored it and kept adding fluid awaiting a warm day to fix the issue. Me slacking later led to other issues; ended up having to replace the water pump.

GL

jbnwc
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 01:26 PM
This same thing happened to my Daytona back in the day. It ended up being the valve that lets coolant flow to the heater coil. We just removed the valve, reattached the hose and let the coolant flow freely and problem solved!

jbnwc
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Many cars have a heater control valve. They DO go bad. I don't recall them being particularly expensive.

That's exactly what happened with my Daytona. We just removed the valve altogether. I didn't notice any adverse side effects in the summer.

jbnwc
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM
E - if you need help tearing it apart, I'll send Annika up there. She can tear apart anything.

Bueller
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 01:42 PM
My GMC did this but it was a leaky water pump shaft seal that allowed the coolant level to drop to a point that the heat would stop working, but I couldn't find any signs of leakage (trails or spots) but I could get wiff of it occasionally.

t_jolt
Sun Nov 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
also you may want to clean out the heater core. It could just be getting clogged with junk.

Tyrel

BigE
Mon Nov 29th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I assume you checked the carpet on the passenger side footwell and it's dry? Always first step with heater problems.

Yep, it's dry and no window fogging either.

Are you sure you're losing coolant or is this just a deduction based on seeing the overflow reservoir low/empty?

Guess baised on the empty reservoir and low radiator level the day after an oil change when they should have been topped off. Also had a strong anti-freeze smell when i got to work on friday but no visible leak.

Have to check into this on my car.

E - if you need help tearing it apart, I'll send Annika up there. She can tear apart anything.

Hey, I can always use another cute girl helping in the garage! :up:

My GMC did this but it was a leaky water pump shaft seal that allowed the coolant level to drop to a point that the heat would stop working, but I couldn't find any signs of leakage (trails or spots) but I could get wiff of it occasionally.

Thinking back, my Mustang had the same thing happen.

I'll be messing with it once I get home this morning.
Plan of attack is:
a) get the heat shield off so I can see what was steaming/smoking.
b) fill up the coolant and fire it up until hot then shut it off and see if I can find a leak somewhere.

BigE
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Well....the answer is... sadness....
cracked exhaust manifold and head gasket leak under the manifold. Explains the antifreeze smell and no drips...the coolant is being cooked off as it leaks.

Sarge
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Take the Sprint for a ride... You'll feel better.

Bueller
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Sucks dude, sorry to hear :(

MetaLord 9
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Damn, E. That sucks man. I'm having similar problems in my Mustang right now and I'm hoping for better news than you ended up with. Good luck mang

jbnwc
Tue Nov 30th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Sorry Eric. Could be worse - a couple of years ago I was following a Rodeo up I-25 in the DTC and there were sparks and flashes coming from under the car for about a 1/4 mile until one BIG flash and parts/oil everywhere brought her to a stop. :(

BigE
Wed Dec 1st, 2010, 08:41 AM
Take the Sprint for a ride... You'll feel better.
:up:

Sucks dude, sorry to hear :(

Damn, E. That sucks man. I'm having similar problems in my Mustang right now and I'm hoping for better news than you ended up with. Good luck mang

Thanks guys. Eh, it is what it is. Guess I get to see what shape the inside of my engine is. :viking:

Sorry Eric. Could be worse - a couple of years ago I was following a Rodeo up I-25 in the DTC and there were sparks and flashes coming from under the car for about a 1/4 mile until one BIG flash and parts/oil everywhere brought her to a stop. :(

Now you just hush Jason! Don't be talking like that!;)
BTW, still in the air on Sat. Sammie wants to come play with your girls though.