PDA

View Full Version : anyone buy a car out of state to drive/register in colorado?

derekm
Thu Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Looking at an ecoboost flex in ca. according to their law if the wheeles touch a public street in state tax (of 9.92ish %) is collected unless car is flat bedded to state line. Will I have any sort of break at the dmv for the near 2% higher tax rate??? anyone?

KNIBB HIGH FOOTBALL RULES!

The Black Knight
Thu Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Looking at an ecoboost flex in ca. according to their law if the wheeles touch a public street in state tax (of 9.92ish %) is collected unless car is flat bedded to state line. Will I have any sort of break at the dmv for the near 2% higher tax rate??? anyone?

KNIBB HIGH FOOTBALL RULES!
What do you mean "break at the DMV"?? Like are they going to cut you some slack on the out-of-state taxes you pay??

Not sure how that would work but going off my experience, when I purchase my 99 R1 back in the day, I got it outside in the county(El Paso) but lived in the city(Springs). So when I went to the DMV to plate it, I got slammed with a "city sales tax"!!! I asked why was it so high, it was based on the amount I paid(obviously when you buy from a dealer outside the city, they aren't going to fudge the sale price like a individual would), and get this, the lady told me "that since I purchased it outside the city, I didn't pay enough taxes and they needed more taxes from me." HAHA that was word for word what she told me.

So if you're going to buy a vehicle out-of-state, I'd say err on the safe side and expect to get jammed at the DMV for more taxes. You may want to check with the DMV just to make sure, course they could always lie to you and say you won't have much, then come plate time they'll just break it off for fun.

At least you can look at it this way, buying a small car you may get to skip out on the wonderful "Road and Bridge Fee" that I just got pumped with. Yep, chalk another $50 on my plates fees because of the 1 Ton.

brennahm
Thu Dec 2nd, 2010, 09:41 PM
If you have it trailered to the state line then you should pay no taxes to California. However, you would be responsible for paying all sales taxes to CO upon registration.

#1Townie
Thu Dec 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
hey derek if you need a transport company i might be able to get you a deal.

RajunCajun
Thu Dec 2nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
I bought a tacoma in Louisiana just before moving here. I have to get it register before the temp tag expires but I'm thinking of just getting LA plates put on it. The dealership was going to give me the plate but I said I would just get it done here. If they are going to rape me for taxes, I'll just say screw them.

Penadam
Thu Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
I think if you pay the CA state tax, you only have to pay (maybe get refunded) the difference between the CO and CA tax. You might have to repay on the title/reg costs though. You might come out ahead having it shipped to the state line. I'm pretty sure you can't do it yourself.

If you as the Dealer you're buying it from, they could tell you. If it's a private party, just screw it and pay it all in CO.

Mista Black
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 04:34 AM
I flew out to San Jose, CA to pick up my last bike. I paid the guy selling it, got on and road back to CO. The only taxes they got out of me were for sales tax on the gas and food I bought til I hit the Nevada boarder.

salsashark
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 06:59 AM
I bought my Buell from Wisconsin and had it shipped to CO. I didn't pay any WI taxes. I can't see that being any different from going out and riding it back like Mista Black said.

Oh, and it's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here. I gotta send him back to the South Pole.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Colorado isn't going to give a shit if you paid state tax in California. The tax paid in California stays in California and Colorado wants it's money too.

If trucking the vehicle isn't a viable option for you, maybe you can do the paperwork ahead of time and get your plates here in Colorado? Bring your plates and registration with you.

MetaLord 9
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
I bought my Buell from Wisconsin and had it shipped to CO. I didn't pay any WI taxes. I can't see that being any different from going out and riding it back like Mista Black said.
^^Agree. Don't tell CA you bought it there and they won't make you pay there. Regardless, you've gotta pay CO sales tax when you register it here. That's why it's more frigging expensive to register an out of state vehicle here the first time than it is to keep registering it/renewing it.

I think if you pay the CA state tax, you only have to pay (maybe get refunded) the difference between the CO and CA tax. You might have to repay on the title/reg costs though. You might come out ahead having it shipped to the state line. I'm pretty sure you can't do it yourself.
Nah, they won't refund anything. It's two different states, so CA won't refund any difference between their tax & CO tax since they're not going into the same bucket. That's why Colorado's a pain in the ass, because you have to pay frigging sales tax on the value of the car/vehicle when you register the vehicle in CO for the first time.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
I'm assuming the only reason this is a question is because the OP is looking at purchasing from some form of a new/used dealership who's subject to audit and will insist on doing things according to state law.

So I still think you should be able to do the CO state paperwork ahead of time and show up with CO plates. Once it's registered in CO, CA no longer has any claim to it and you can drive on their roads without paying tax.

MetaLord 9
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 07:47 AM
Just hire a buddy with a trailer, trailer the thing off the lot and around the corner, pull it off the trailer & drive the fugger home. oh, and don't get pulled over in CA while you're doing it.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
buy a different car?

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/Misc/GayWheels.jpg

MetaLord 9
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 08:07 AM
...so what you're saying is you were perusing gay websites online and happened to find a car website that fits your needs?

Lemme guess, they sell stretched out tail pipes...

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 08:16 AM
walked into that one

actually I consulted the google machine for ecoboost flex because I wasn't familiar with it. That result came up in the top 3 of my search.

MetaLord 9
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 08:18 AM
Ok, so you're saying Derek's going to CA to pick up a gay car then...

that's better. :D

Keyser Soze
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 08:23 AM
I'd rock an ecoboost flex anyday.

Check out Livernois if you get one.

http://www.stangtv.com/forum/hotrod-disguise-livernois-tuned-ecoboost-twin-7075.html

Penadam
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Nah, they won't refund anything. It's two different states, so CA won't refund any difference between their tax & CO tax since they're not going into the same bucket. That's why Colorado's a pain in the ass, because you have to pay frigging sales tax on the value of the car/vehicle when you register the vehicle in CO for the first time.

If you have it registered in another state already, I'm pretty sure you don't have to repay sales tax in CO, just every other really high vehicle tax we have here. I was living in TN temporary before I moved to CO and brought a vehicle there. I didn't have an permanent address of any sort, but the dealer managed to get me a TN plate. When I finally moved here, I registered it and didn't pay sales tax.

I was thinking about it again, and CA wouldn't refund you, but CO should credit you for the CA tax you've already paid. States (All/Most?) have reciprocity agreements for things like this.

TFOGGuys
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 09:14 AM

Lemme guess, they sell stretched out tail pipes...

:spit:

Now I gotta clean my monitor....

MetaLord 9
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
If you have it registered in another state already, I'm pretty sure you don't have to repay sales tax in CO, just every other really high vehicle tax we have here. I was living in TN temporary before I moved to CO and brought a vehicle there. I didn't have an permanent address of any sort, but the dealer managed to get me a TN plate. When I finally moved here, I registered it and didn't pay sales tax.

I was thinking about it again, and CA wouldn't refund you, but CO should credit you for the CA tax you've already paid. States (All/Most?) have reciprocity agreements for things like this.
I hope you're right on that! I'd be surprised if they credit/refund anything though.

I know that, if it's not sales tax, there is a high tax for registering an out of state vehicle in Colorado the first time. I'm pretty sure that there is either a fee or sales tax or some kind of assrape that you've gotta pay. I know when I registered my car and my bike in Colorado after my move, it cost me a lot of money. I think the car was $200 something and the bike was $300 something (car was 8 years old and bike was less than a year old).

derekm
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 07:14 PM
I decided to try & get a loan from my CU, if it goes well I'm just gonna have it flat bed delivered here, no tax or license fees!