PDA

View Full Version : Whatta You Know About Glendale AZ?

Keyser Soze
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
Anyone familiar with the place? The Phoenix area in general?

Wrider
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
What do you want to know about it?
I lived at Glendale Ave and I-17 for a year and a half when I went to MMI.

Keyser Soze
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:16 AM
I've never been to the area. Dont know anything about it. I'm intersted in things to do, how the area is, nice parts, just general shit.

Mother Goose
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
It's hot.

Keyser Soze
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
It's hot.

Is there sand?

Mother Goose
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Probably. All I know is that it's hot. And probably some cacti.

Sarge
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:22 AM
From what I hear Pheonix is one of the worse places to go riding, all flat and no twisties. :-/

I lived there once when I was like 9 while my stepfather went to MMI...

King Nothing
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
just move back to CO, Wanker.

All your LEGO are belong to us.

Also, move back to CO.

Keyser Soze
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:26 AM
From what I hear Pheonix is one of the worse places to go riding, all flat and no twisties. :-/

I lived there once when I was like 9 while my stepfather went to MMI...

Cant be much worse than Milwaukee and Chicago...

Wrider
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Well the Cardinals stadium is just a little west of Glendale. They are always having some sort of expo or something there. There's a Cabelas if you're an outdoors guy. Honestly Glendale doesn't have much to offer, but Phoenix in general has quite a bit.

As far as nice parts, Phoenix is easy to read because if it looks nice it is, and if it doesn't it isn't. I'd stay west of 35th Ave on Glendale, and avoid most of Bethany Home altogether (one street south). Basically it's like the Springs, the further north you go the nicer it gets.

The area is alright. Nothing special, but not too bad. It honestly depends on where you are though. I lived in an RV park where I regularly heard gunfire and woke up one morning with my neighbor's tire flattened by a .38 slug.

If you're looking to do anything outdoorsy, you either go north or east of Phoenix to the mountains (Phoenix is in a ginormous valley). There are some really good roads in the mountains, but the only twisty road you'll find anywhere near the city limits is the road up South Mountain. It's a twisty little switchbacky road with a super low speed limit and plenty of park ranger patrols so it's no fun anyway.

The nightlife down there is huge if you're into that. I used to bounce down there and can tell you some of the bigger nightclubs and who to talk to if you want VIP status.

Scottsdale is the super rich area. I've never been anywhere else (including Miami) where you can see a Bentley, a Ferrari, a Lambo, three Aprilias, and a Rolls all parked outside of the local Starbucks or Walmart. They have a really cool carshow over at a place called the Pavilions every Saturday afternoon/evening, it's put on by the McDonalds there. You'll see everything from Model Ts to 57 Chevys to land speed trucks to GT40s, I even saw a Y2K there once.

This time of year the locals will think you're nuts, but you can float the Salt river.

You can go outside of city limits and play in the Desert, and Glamis isn't that far away if you've got some sand paddles for your dirtbike or quad or something.

I would definitely avoid the Ride Now Powersports chain. It's got a horrible reputation and for good reason. It's a huge chain though so it's great if you just want to go look at stuff.

I'd avoid the Interstate or any of the parallel roads during rush hour. Outside of rush hour it's a very efficient way to get around. And roads in Phoenix are flat, straight, and level. Almost the whole city is a perfect grid pattern, so it's really easy to learn the roads.

When you're first there you'll probably get confused between the Avenues and the Streets. They all run North-South, but the Avenues are on the west side of Central, and the Streets are on the east side. When someone gives you directions and says something like 35th and Glendale, you always ask Ave or Street, because there's a pretty good distance between the two.

Ummm let's see... Not sure what else to put down here, if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask, and if I don't know I can find out for you!

Oh and in reference to Ralph's post. Not much sand within city limits, but he's right on the hot part! In the city because of the concrete and asphalt it doesn't drop under 100 for about 4 months straight, even at night.

Keyser Soze
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:39 AM

Also, move back to CO.

No dice hombre. Got the call this morning. Should be within the next 2 weeks.

Wrider
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Oh, and a few more warnings for you.
1. Prepare to have squared off tires. Never saw a worn out rounded one my entire time down there except at Firebird raceway (local huge powersports track)

2. NEVER, and I repeat NEVER ride around in northern Phoenix in a blue shirt. No gangs or anything, but the cops will hassle you to no end. Blue button up shirts are the uniform at MMI (we called them smurf shirts), and the cops know that a lot of the idiots there will mess around, speed, have obnoxiously loud exhaust, etc, so you get pulled over for imaginary infractions.

3. If you ever get a ticket, make triple sure it's paid off and keep your damned receipts in your car/on your bike. Phoenix is notorious for having people take care of tickets, and the next time they get pulled over there is no record of it getting taken care of, so they go to jail. KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS! Well unless it's a camera ticket, then just claim you never got it, and they can't prove you did because they mail it to you.

Mother Goose
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
No dice hombre. Got the call this morning. Should be within the next 2 weeks.
At least you'll be moving closer to Colorado. :idea: It's only a 10 hour drive, instead of 13! :D

Keyser Soze
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
At least you'll be moving closer to Colorado. :idea: It's only a 10 hour drive, instead of 13! :D

I'm just glad to get outta this armpit and see some sun!

Sarge
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
I'm just glad to get outta this armpit and see some sun!

HAH! You say that now! I was there in the summer of '98 and it hit as high as I think 118. The hottest recorded temperate ever in Iraq was about 132. This year it only hit 125.

Iraq, 14 June, 52.0C (125.6F), Basra
http://www.countercurrents.org/vidal130810.htm

The highest temperature ever recorded in Arizona was 128, in 1990.

All I have to ask is, have you ever seen a skittle melt? :eyebrows:

Canuck
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM

Also, move back to CO.

:spit:

Bueller
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
That place sucks, it is way too hot:fire:

vort3xr6
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
Moved away from there last year after being there for 7 years.

Bad place to live and work. Fun college town. If you want to move to AZ, look towards chandler, Gilbert area. Stupid nice houses for next to nothing in a great area.

Dietrich_R1
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
What yah want to know? I've lived in North Hell (Um, I meant Phoenix) for 7 years now.

Street riding Sux!!! 2 many cops, 2 many old people, & 2 many 90 turns @ stop lights. Dirt riding out here is amazing. My R1 is a bit neglected... =:-(

On the Positive Side:

1) Airfare is stupid cheap w/ competition.
2) Vegas is 4 hours away w/ the new bridge
3) Western Slope of CO is 7 hours away
4) San Diego/LA is 6 hour drive
5) Rocky Point, MX is 4 hours
6) Homes are cheap, especially now
7) The Mogollon Rim is 2 hours away (Very Nice in summer w/ dirt)

Negative Side:
1) Sheriff Joe is an IDIOT!!
2) Politics are even worse (2 many rednecks & blue-hairs)
3) If your single, it's difficult to meet people. It's a very-much suit case city (people only live her for a year or 2).

7) If your the Devil here in the summer, nobody asks you "If your here, who's tending Hell". That's because it is Hell!!

FZRguy
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 09:41 PM
Okay, how 'bout Tucson?