PDA

View Full Version : Gun safety course

TheStig
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Thinking about getting some home protection, not sure if Im going to get a shotgun or handgun yet. I want something my tiny wife can handle if needed. I want both of us to take a course. I have shot before but still wouldnt consider myself "comfortable" owning. Anyone have any suggestions? I know a lot of people can teach me but I think the wife would be more comfortable with a actual class (she has never shot before).

Any suggestions?

Wrider
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Honestly I'd start with a Hunter's Safety course.
Then I'd have friends with guns take you out shooting and help you become more comfortable with both shotguns and pistols so you can choose what you want to own for home defense. Both have advantages and drawbacks.

salsashark
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
check out the local sporting goods stores like Gander Mountain or Bass Pro. These two, I know, have gun safety courses.

As for what to get, that's a decision you'll have to make and figure out what will work for you and your family.

Personally, I like the shotgun approach. It takes less precision to use correctly. Use a tactical load. buckshot, slug, buckshot, slug. First round stands them up, the next knocks them down.

MetaLord 9
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Dallas, let me know when & what you guys are taking because I'm on the verge of picking up a tactical shotgun for the same thing and Lindsey's already said she wants to take a course if there's a gun in the house. We could take a course with you guys

Sarge
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
If the wife has issues, I'd say stick with a revolver. I've got a few XD's and I've taken my wife out shooting with them. She can shoot the 40 and the 45 no problem, but I'll be damned if she can pull the slide back all the way more than 1 out of 5 tries. A revolver will kick a little more, so you might want something lighter, i.e. 9mm or maybe even a .22, which kids hardly any worse than a nice air rifle.

If you go the shotgun route, the wife might be able to charge a pump shotgun no problem. An autoloader will be slightly more difficult, but unless you get something like a .410, a shotgun is probably going to recoil to the point of being unusable, if she doesn't outright drop it. And if she's ever afraid of the recoil, she's going to hesitate when it comes game time, if that's really what you're looking for.

Go small, go light, and go easy. Small caliber revolver would be your best bet.

People like me, on the other hand, are currently taking measurements for gunrack in the back window of the truck, and seeing just how many magazines I can keep loaded in house... (Just kidding... a little ;))

Wrider
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Oh and make sure if you have it in your house, you're willing to pull the trigger if push comes to shove...

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
lots of opinions coming here.

You might try www.defensivecarry.com (http://www.defensivecarry.com) which is a good forum dedicated soley to personal defense.

Up here in Ft. Collins, Rocky Mountain Shooter Supply has an indoor range. They do an NRA certified handgun safety class complete with range time. Students get to shoot different types of handguns. These environments are very friendly and will allow you to ask questions about shotguns too no doubt.

I have been a lifetime shooter but sent my wife to a structured class at Shooter Supply. I figured it'd be better for her. Her class was also an all female class. Too often a coed class gets dominated by some guy who wants to show he knows as much as the instructor and women don't feel comfortable asking questions.

I'm sure there is a similar gun shop down in your area that can offer these services.

MetaLord 9
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:13 AM
My plan is to get a short barrel, pistol grip, tactical shotgun. The way my house is set up is that if I get to the top of the staircase first, anything I can see moving below gets shot at. If I don't get to the top of the staircase first, it's pretty much a knife fight anyway. Plus, if I get something like a mossberg, there are a ton of add-ons (like a flashlight) that make life easier. Entry level price on 'em looks to be right around $300, possibly a little less from what I've seen.

TFOGGuys
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
The NRA has several courses geared toward gun safety and home defense. The Intro to Handguns course is very basic, and is great for establishing safe behaviour and general firearms competence and confidence. They also offer a course called Personal Protection in the Home which covers everything from external security measures to establishing a safe room and use of cover to establish fields of fire. I would recommend taking courses from someone like Profire (http://www.profire.us/) to ensure the most bang for your buck (pun intended). I did my CCW stuff through them, and they exceeded my expectations. They also offer some women's only courses, often taught by women, that are a bit less intimidating for the ladies.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Agreed on http://www.profire.us/

I went to dig up the link and you beat me too it.

There's a difference between "gun safety" and tactical home defense training.

OBD
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Check the Boulder rifle club. Lots of classes at reasonable prices.

www.boulderrifleclub.com (http://www.boulderrifleclub.com)

Canuck
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
My plan is to get a short barrel, pistol grip, tactical shotgun. The way my house is set up is that if I get to the top of the staircase first, anything I can see moving below gets shot at. If I don't get to the top of the staircase first, it's pretty much a knife fight anyway. Plus, if I get something like a mossberg, there are a ton of add-ons (like a flashlight) that make life easier. Entry level price on 'em looks to be right around $300, possibly a little less from what I've seen.

Mossberg= WIN.

salsashark
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Mossberg= WIN.

yep, or a Remington 870 express...

Either way, pump action is the way to go. Nothing says "GET THE F&^$ OUT OF MY HOUSE" like the sound of a pump action 12 gauge.

Sarge
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
I used to have a Mossberg 500, great shotgun. But put a load of buckshot in that baby and you WILL feel it. Stig mentions that he wants his wife to be able to use it, if she's half as petite as he suggests, a 12g might not be the best way to go, especially in the case of home defense.

If she's afraid of it, she's going to hesitate come "game day," which pretty much negates having the gun in the first place. No point really if she's just as afraid of it as the bad guy is.

TheStig
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
I was thinking .20 or .410 if I go shotgun route. My sister isnt much bigger and has a mossberg persuader.

Thanks for the tips guys!

drago52
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
The tanner gun show (this weekend on I-25) is a good chance to go check out a bunch of guns and take the conceal carry course ($125 I think). Not that you would need it for home defense, but it's probably good instruction and some shooting range time.

Sully
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Grand Prix also has a CCW class, along with selling guns and ammo :) .. fyi ;)

hcr25
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
My girlfriend and I took the NRA handgun course and class for concealed carry from http://www.rwfirearmstraining.com/Site/Home.html

RW is awesome! I already had my permit but took his class anyway. It is very good. We shot at a private range using his guns. We shot 22 cal revolvers and semi autos to 357 and 45 cal glock. I think the the cost was $125 each which included the ammo! That price is based on two or more students i believe. He also teaches everything from basic pistol to advanced tactical rifle and shot gun.
We plan on taking more classes from RW, we couldnt be happier.
Mike

puckstr
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/46399
20 Ga pump
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/46401
.410 pump

But I like the Saiga 12
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/204276000/204276559/pix957737153.jpg

derekm
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
glock 19, common sense and some range time does wonders!

rforsythe
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
I used to have a Mossberg 500, great shotgun. But put a load of buckshot in that baby and you WILL feel it. Stig mentions that he wants his wife to be able to use it, if she's half as petite as he suggests, a 12g might not be the best way to go, especially in the case of home defense.

If she's afraid of it, she's going to hesitate come "game day," which pretty much negates having the gun in the first place. No point really if she's just as afraid of it as the bad guy is.

Let her learn with smaller-weight rounds. Put the big shit in for actual home defense. She won't be afraid because she's never been pummeled by it, and the extra lead will only help in that situation.

Taurus Judges can be useful too. .410 shotshell and .45 in the same weapon, and anyone looking at the wrong end of one of those is probably gonna piss themselves.

Grand Prix also has a CCW class, along with selling guns and ammo :) .. fyi ;)

+1, GPGuns is a great store!

Zach929rr
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Saiga with a 20rd drum.

or

Nitro Turkey Loads

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
I bought a Judge. 5th round out of the box, the cylinder jammed up solid. Dealer shipped it back. Waited over a month and couldn't get a call back from Taurus. Dealer finally gave me a new gun (Rugar Super Blackhawk .44) and said he'd keep the Taurus whenever it finally came back.

MAZIN
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Started my wife on the fundimentals of shooting with a p22 (still say walther is crap) but 22 is a good no thrills round that will let her feel a lil recoil and muzzle flash to get her use to firing while working on the safety aspects. I promptly jumped her up to a 9mm (+1 on the g19) that will let her see that;
A. not all guns have "Mechanical safeties
B. it will let her feel more recoil and muzzle jump.
C. emphasize stance and hold more to reduce muzzle jump
D. Using a glock ass with any other firearm that have "passive safeties" will root a strong safety first motto.

After training my wife in this manner she jumped up to a 45 (g30 + g39) as her daily carry gun and is very proficient in shooting as well as shooting them safely. Shotguns are cool and defiantly good for home defense but not in the hands of someone who has little or no shooting experience. Women are of a different mindset than men are and can easily be intimidated or scared off from using a gun that they are not competent or comfortable in using. Its all about making her comfortable and confident!

Also see if she likes the idea of a semi-auto, in training other women I have found that most have trouble in using them in stressed situations or just have a hard time racking the slide or remembering to put the gun off of safe mode. In those cases I recommend a revolver. As always use the highest caliber possible that she is comfortable and proficient in shooting.

Oh and a side note...Be loving and patient in training her to use a gun. My wife early on hated to go shooting with me because I was occasionally a lil abrasive. I have since learned to be more toned down.
+1 on finding as much training as you can, even the "ol shooting vets" still have bad habits you don't want rubbing off on you guys.

rforsythe
Sat Dec 4th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I bought a Judge. 5th round out of the box, the cylinder jammed up solid. Dealer shipped it back. Waited over a month and couldn't get a call back from Taurus. Dealer finally gave me a new gun (Rugar Super Blackhawk .44) and said he'd keep the Taurus whenever it finally came back.

.44's definitely have that don't-fuck-with-me factor too...

CoRR
Sat Dec 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM
For home defence you dont want a .22 cal. It is almost pointless.The ammo can but less than par. Some boxes will have a dud or two in them. Want to stake your life or that of others on ammo that might go click and not bang? Most people can stand up after a few rounds on .22 in them . On the other hand you dont need a 44 mag or a 12ga with buck shot. You dont want a round going through ANYTHING as it is wastied energy and dangerous. I carried a .40 S&W with wad cutters for years till I heard about a man shooting at an intruder (missing) The round went through the wall just missing his son in bed. That scared me! But also made me think.
The point of shooting is to STOP the threat. Not pass a round through and let them keep moving. A nice round for home is the 9mm with a filled Hollow Point (HD round) . The HPHD round will fragment upon impact, ANY IMPACT. This means most if not all energy is expelled in the target OR first part of a wall.
On the shotgun side
20ga , 28ga Rem 870 will be fine.
The problem with a shotgun over a pistol is the length and sholder fire position puts you in harms way more so than a handgun will. Although effective not practical in a small confined space. Also harder to keep out of reach of kids but accessable to you.

Keep in mind IF you ever need it the fear of the firearm will be the last thing on your mind. or Hers. the threat is there it over rides all else.In most cases saftey is lost also.
A class or course will help but nothing will beat practice practice practice.
If threatened and you dont practice your weapon may become theirs.
THEN WHAT ?

O check out the S&W J frame "LADY SMITH" my wife had one till she took over my 1911-A1. It was a Very nice handgun for her small hands. for her
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766343_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

bodhizafa
Sat Dec 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Do you have to take a course to carry a concealed gun?

Also does anyone know if you can check a shotgun on a plane as luggage?

TFOGGuys
Sat Dec 4th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Do you have to take a course to carry a concealed gun?

Also does anyone know if you can check a shotgun on a plane as luggage?

Yes, and Yes.

CRS Title 18, Article 12, Part 2 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=query&iid=115d17d4.210a391e.0.0&q=%5BGroup%20%27t.%2018,%20art.%2012,%20p.%202%27% 5D)

Contains everything you need to know about Concealed Carry in Colorado

Firearms can be checked as luggage with the airlines. They must be unloaded, in a locked case, and declared at checkin.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

bodhizafa
Sat Dec 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
:up: Cool, thanks for the links.

CoRR
Sat Dec 4th, 2010, 11:15 AM
You must buy an AIRLINE APPROVED metal lockable case.