PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about making the jump to a liter...

Think
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:20 AM
So I'm saving up some money for a new bike and the 06 and later CBR1000's are really appealing to me (especially the 06 in blue/yellow :drool:). As you can see from my sig, I've been through a bunch of bikes in my 3 years of riding. Test rode an 08 ZX-10 a few months ago and not only did I feel like a giant on it at 6'2, it also felt underpowered. I've sat on a few CBR's and they seem to fit the bill with ergonomics, plus I've just always been more comfortable on Honda's. So for you folks with liter bikes, why did you get them?

The GECCO
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:44 PM
Because only guys who are manly enough for liter bikes get the chicks :eyebrows:

Sarge
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
It's really all a matter of preference. Back in the day the different between a 600 and a 1000 was a lot more relevant than it is today. The only thing I really notice is that it's actually a lot more difficult/uncomfortable to ride a 1000 at slower speeds than a 600, but a lot of that is hardly any different than what you would notice between two different 600s that might be geared differently. It can be pretty annoying to have to feather the clutch just about anytime you're doing under 20-25 Mph, and you can just about get around anywhere in 1st gear if you throttle it out. But, when I open that baby up it takes off like you wouldn't believe, which is really why we all ride supersports in the first place...

Liters might be somewhat less practical, and in all honestly I might have gotten something smaller if I hadn't found the awesome deal on the liter I picked up (and doubly so because it's a V-Twin, which makes it twice as awesome ;))

On the flip side though, I don't think I'd get anything bigger. I rode a buddies Hayabusa once and didn't like it. Not only did I think it was ugly but it just felt big. Sure, it was fast enough to make me crap my pants, but my RSV gets me there on the street anyway, and its smaller and turns better.

So, go with what fits. Ride a few, see what you like and most importantly what gets you off, which is the whole reason you're considering a liter and not an mx in the first place...

Sarge
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Oh, and it can do wheelies, at any speed, in any gear... :eyebrows:

The GECCO
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Seriously, though, 10 years ago it seemed you had to make a choice between a light, nimble 600, or a heavier but more powerful liter bike. Todays liter bikes are both better and worse. Better in that they are nearly identical size and weight wise to their little brothers. Worse in that the extra power coupled with the small size and light weight makes them less forgiving. Traction control helps even some of that out, but not all.

It doesn't look like you're a Suzuki guy, which is fine, but you should at least sit on an 09 GSXR1000. Feels more like a 600 than some 600's I've ridden!

Good luck with your decision!

**Edit - FWIW, I've ridden and raced 600's, 750's and 1000's. Current race bike (below) is an 08 R1.

asp_125
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
The new liter bikes are almost as light as the middleweights these days. So the handling question is moot. One nice thing (besides the power) is the liters make for much less shifting due to the broader torque range, kind of like the twins. If you want to pass, just roll on instead of downshifting.

salsashark
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:56 PM
hmmmm my first motorcycle was a 600 v-twin that felt like it was going to explode every time I got near highway speeds.

I then moved up and never felt the need go back down
900 -> 1100 -> 1050 -> 1352 -> 1050 ---------> ?
--------------------------------1125 -> 1198 -> ?

I think it depends on what you want and how you ride.

For me, doing long miles on a 600 sounds like absolute horror. I don't want to have to ride around all day keeping the rpm's up in case I want to pass. With the larger cc engines, there's no real worry, just go. Also, larger bikes typically have more relaxed ergos which, for me, is extremely important seeing as how I'd rather do some sport-touring over track days any day.

Sarge
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
The new liter bikes are almost as light as the middleweights these days. So the handling question is moot. One nice thing (besides the power) is the liters make for much less shifting due to the broader torque range, kind of like the twins. If you want to pass, just roll on instead of downshifting.

+1

One thing I LOVE about my RSV is I can be in 2nd gear, 60-65 at like 4500 RPM, and that throttle goes up to 10.5 before it redlines. So, I can cruise FAST, at low RPM, without screaming the throttle in traffic, and if I want to pass, a little throttle and im doing 80+ in the same gear at closer to 8000 RPM.

asp_125
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Downside.. insurance might be more than a 600 depending who you go thru.

Personally I think a 750-800 is about the perfect balance between nimble sportbike and big motor hooligan. Just waiting for the factories to bring back the 750cc class. But with MotoGP going back to the liters I doubt I'll get my wish.

Mother Goose
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
Because only guys who are manly enough for liter bikes get the chicks :eyebrows:
^^^ THIS!! :lol:

I have a liter bike because I'm a huge bitch. :D I'm 6'-2" 220lbs, so the extra power is nice, especially when I have my girlfriend on the back. Plus, having 160hp at the wheel can be fun. :hump:

dragos13
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
I'll be on a liter bike for the first time this year. After 4 years of racing 600's I've decided to step up.

Hopefully, I go faster lol :)

ddalhill
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Suzuki is the best all the magazines say they are and they look so cool. So awesome!

salsashark
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Suzuki is the best all the magazines say they are and they look so cool. So awesome!

:spit:

HAHA... suzuki owners!
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_WENF5AxFUtU/TNorV1oHE8I/AAAAAAAALps/8CbaCBjmuiQ/firebath.gif

dragos13
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:19 PM

Haha your comment made me think about this video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlUUtxai33U&feature=player_embedded

Mother Goose
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Wow. :lol:

ddalhill
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
I am glad someone was with me on my inane post...

drago52
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
Literbikes will go faster, for sure, but I think the engine configuration makes a bigger difference than pure hp. Sure, the I-4 160+ hp engines can haul, but you can't get that power until you're halfway up the tach and above the speed limit (think 1st gear on the highway). However, my 90hp v-twin makes a crap-ton of power below the speed limit in most cases, so I think I get to use the 1200cc power more than most 1000cc I-4 riders would.

It depends on what you're looking for, but you'll definitely go faster on a literbike regardless of the engine configuration. :)

+1 to the no shifting to pass on literbikes. that's nice. I do miss that when riding my 600, but again I think that's more a characteristic of I-4s, not V-2s.

Mother Goose
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
What means "speed limit"? :D

drago52
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 03:08 PM
well according to a dyno on a 2008 cbr 1000 with 160hp, to get to the point where you are at 80% of your max hp (128hp), you'll need to be at 9,000rpm and going 65mph in 1st gear.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I guess if you are entering the highway, you'd have a few seconds where you are getting the most out of that engine in 1st gear without warranting a performance award from the po-po.

for comparison purposes:
2008 cbr1000, 80% power at 9krpm and 65mph
2007 ZX6r, 80% power is 10.8krpm and 58mph
2006 buell 1200cc, 80% power is 4,8krpm and 36mph

Snowman
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
My first liter bike was in 1983, a Honda CB1100F and the reasons I bought that bike then has nothing to do with the reasons I buy liter bikes now. (Chics)

The technology from then to now is completely different. Most 600’s today can smoke and liter bike 15 years ago from top end to cornering.

Basically you want a bigger bike to be more comfortable and have the power where you want it. My Blackbird can still keep up with them, there new fangled 600’s in the canyons because of the way you can use its power curve. My advice is to sit on them all, one will jump out as your next ride.

sprtbkbabe
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Because only girls who are womanly enough for liter bikes get the dudes :)

Mother Goose
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
well according to a dyno on a 2008 cbr 1000 with 160hp, to get to the point where you are at 80% of your max hp (128hp), you'll need to be at 9,000rpm and going 65mph in 1st gear.
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I guess if you are entering the highway, you'd have a few seconds where you are getting the most out of that engine in 1st gear without warranting a performance award from the po-po.

for comparison purposes:
2008 cbr1000, 80% power at 9krpm and 65mph
2007 ZX6r, 80% power is 10.8krpm and 58mph
2006 buell 1200cc, 80% power is 4,8krpm and 36mph
1st gear? Getting onto the highway? :lol: I'm usually in 3rd and have plenty of power to spare.

According to that website and my gearing, I should be going 58.4mph when 80% of HP (128.) and 100% of my torque (77) is at the ground... in 1st gear. That's not even highway speed yet. ;) But then again, I didn't get my bike tuned in 1st gear, so who knows what that looks like. I'm going off a 4th gear pull and tune.

And to add to this... I've always wanted an RC-51. :D So I'm not an I-4 nut hugger.

OUTLAWD
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
you are at sea level now...a 600 will be a different machine down there...my pig triumph used to power wheelie with ease in 2nd and third down there <stupid altitude>

drago52
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
I'm usually in 3rd and have plenty of power to spare.

exactly, exactly. you'll have a chance to use that power once you reach warp speed. :)

Think
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
you are at sea level now...a 600 will be a different machine down there...my pig triumph used to power wheelie with ease in 2nd and third down there <stupid altitude>
I'll only be at sea level for another year, maybe a few months more. I'm coming back to Colorado.

Thanks for the input folks. Don't have the money saved yet as I'm trying to start an IRA and force myself to hold off on a bike. It's really hard when it's really only "winter" here for a couple months.

madvlad
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Do it, if you feel confident enough to step up. More power than you'll need but the more the merrier haha. I went from a 03 VFR800 then to a 07gsxr 600 and now shooting for a RC51

Mother Goose
Fri Dec 3rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
exactly, exactly. you'll have a chance to use that power once you reach warp speed. :)
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081009172125/uncyclopedia/images/0/0d/RAAAAAR.gif

MRA 32
Sat Dec 4th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Greg, what riding are you going to be doing? Street only or street/track days? If I ever buy another semi-truck to ride on the street, I would buy something like a Duc 848. Twins are easier to ride on the street and on the track as well. Remember it's not the size that matters, but...Ok size does matter.

Good luck, Jeff

McVaaahhh
Sat Dec 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Get a litre-bike if that's what you want, can afford, and just suits you. To me, for 99% of the street riders the power question is really moot. Most of the newer 600's make 100hp, or damn near, and that really is more than enough for street riding.

I bought my RC51 because I love it, not because of the engine size. I enjoyed my old F4i immensely and would not have preferred a CBR1000 just to get more power, as it really would not have made a difference with the way I ride.

Bottom line - get what will make you happy all the way around. :up:

Think
Sat Dec 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Greg, what riding are you going to be doing? Street only or street/track days? If I ever buy another semi-truck to ride on the street, I would buy something like a Duc 848. Twins are easier to ride on the street and on the track as well. Remember it's not the size that matters, but...Ok size does matter.

Good luck, Jeff
Mostly street, but when I get back to Colorado I definitely want to do some track days. I love the look of Ducati's, but comfort wise they are not for me. My 600RR was very comfortable, but it just didn't have the umph I was looking for, but I still loved that bike. The ZX-6R killed my wrists no matter how much I tried to use my back and legs for support. The VFR was obviously comfortable but I found it just didn't suit my style of riding.

There's a possibility I might just go back to another 600RR, but I'd like to at least give a 1000 a try.

R1-Laubinero
Tue Dec 7th, 2010, 12:44 PM
the 06-07 cbr1000rr- has tons of low down grunt for that year---very easy to ride on the street or track---wheelies really easy---I have a friend who rides his from arkansas up this way every year-- so you can make them comfy too--- just added a taller screen.. the fairing was pretty decent for that year.
I originally bounced around allot in the CC displacments- but now Liters are where its at--- enough power for 2 up---easier access to more power---its cool to watch your bike on WSB too...
I used to have a funny saying about 600s, 750, 1000s and 1400s...and what they really mean to us...just let me know if you'd like to hear it

Think
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I used to have a funny saying about 600s, 750, 1000s and 1400s...and what they really mean to us...just let me know if you'd like to hear it
I'd like to hear it.

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Just my .02
I went from an 01 R6 to the 07 CBR1k this year. Big difference! A liter bike was everything I thought it would be. More than enough power at any RPM's and it's not noticeably bigger or heavier than the 600's I've rode. I think you lose a little agility, but not bad. It really does like to go fast in a straight line (then again, what sport bike doesn't?). On the track it was awesome! A little more sensitive in tighter corners but it really gets up and goes in the straights. No real complaints.

For me, I had longed for all of that power, for so long, only to realize it wasn't really what I really wanted. Personally, I think a 600 is more than enough on the street...even on the track. Most people can't ride a 600 to it's potential (including me) and the only real place a liter bike is noticeable different, is in the straights. 1000 is nicer for riding 2up.

Good Luck!

Depths_of_Mind
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I jumped to the S1k and have never looked back. Jumped on the 600 and wanted to "pedel" to get up to speed :(

ton-up-boy
Fri Dec 10th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Every year all the bike mags ooooo aaawwww about the latest and gratest bmw, yammy, suzi, ducati ,Trumpy etc....and mostly thay all say something like...the honda interceptor is maybe the best all around out there ....and thay are easy in town..IMHO.....
i'd have another...dependable and good looking too.