PDA

View Full Version : Old Helmets

Sean
Tue Dec 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
What do you guys do with your old helmets? Can't you donate it to a CPR/EMT class or something? If it's possible to donate it to someone who will benefit (education or otherwise), would be preferred.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Insight?
Thanks!

FZRguy
Tue Dec 7th, 2010, 08:07 PM
all my old lids go on the helmet shelf

asp_125
Tue Dec 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Target practice?

Sean
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM
all my old lids go on the helmet shelfAre you offering up space on your shelf for my old helmets?

Target practice?Considering I don't own a gun, that would be kind of boring.

Matrix
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I would keep them. Would make for really cool stories later in life.

Sean
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I would keep them. Would make for really cool stories later in life.Good point. But I'm still a bit of a minimalist. Plus, I haven't really settled in a location, so it just means more junk to move! :lol:

Xtremjeepn
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM
all my old lids go on the helmet shelf

I used to do this too. At some point it's just too much. I started donating them through some of the sites like advrider and craigslist to anyone that wanted them.

Some people want them as passenger lids for snowmobiling or just need a cheap lid when they get into motorcycling.

I had 8 earlier this year. So far I have given 3 away and have 3 more I need to get rid of.

Target practice?

We have also considered this option for some of my really old lids.;)

asp_125
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I have a couple of really old funky smelling lids I'd like to get rid of, but there's the liability part that keeps me from giving em away. I know there are new riders who might be cash strapped but I really don't want them to start off with a sub standard lid; especially since I recommend all riders to get a new lid if possible.

Xtremjeepn
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 10:08 AM
What liability? You are not the manufacturer. They are buying a USED lid! Hell, do you still own every motorcycle and car you have ever bought? Hate to sell one of those and have someone crash it! You could be more at fault for an improperly cared for car than a lid that you have no way to microscopically inspect.

While I agree that everyone should have a new lid. I also think it is better to wear one that maybe a few years old than to not wear one at all!

I see all sorts of guys out there on old junk motorcycles that are riding them because they can't afford a car or gas for a car. Those guys are not going to go fork out the coin for a new lid, but just might wear one if someone gave them one.

Th last one I gave a way went to a guy that wanted a collection of different sizes for passengers on his snowmobile. A used one that fits okay s better than wearing one totally the wrong size or not at all.

bulldog
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I think many new riders do not understand that helmets do have an expiration date and you should not use one if it is damaged at all; even a small drop on concrete can ruin a helmet. I just don’t get why some people get a bike without saving money for a decent helmet and would go with a used one that is old. I guess it is better than no helmet, but it also deters them from buying a good one since they figure they already have one (not knowing in a crash it may not hold up).

I currently have Arai that I crashed at the track in and it looks ok from the outside (just a few scratches where it hit the ground), but I can see in the inside that it is shattered and no good (yes they shatter from the inside, not outside). People have asked for it, but no way; they are just not experienced or stupid.

asp_125
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
... especially since you can buy a new helmet on closeout these days for under $100. Not talking a fancy Arai or Shoei, but a basic no frills single color HJC or KBC.

But I get your point Cole, I do have lids that are past their expiration date, but other than packed out cheek pads and a few scratches, are still servicable maybe as Go Kart helmets or snowmobile helmets. :dunno:

I still like my first idea: Target practice.. here, hold mah beer!

bulldog
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
What liability? You are not the manufacturer. They are buying a USED lid! Hell, do you still own every motorcycle and car you have ever bought? Hate to sell one of those and have someone crash it! You could be more at fault for an improperly cared for car than a lid that you have no way to microscopically inspect.
Cars don't have an expiration date! You are selling/donating an old helmet that is past it's date, so I could see a liability in selling expired products. Like I said many people are unaware helmets can expire, but there have been many studies done of how the flexing of the helmet and weather conditions slowly breaks down the safety materials.

Foolds
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Contact MediJess and Rybo.. I think they were looking for some trashed lids to use for classes on how to remove safely

ChrisCBX
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Target practice?

We should do that Jeff. I've got a few that are "shooting range quality". We can see how well they hold up to AR/AK rounds.

Sean
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I still like my first idea: Target practice.. here, hold mah beer!You can have them El Jefe! You can even put a pic of my face on the inside if it makes it more enjoyable. :up:

Personally, I won't give them to somebody with the intention of riding. That's just me. I don't think they will have much benefit in a crash. :no:

JJ- Thanks, maybe I'll pm Jess and see if she knows of someone/place that can benefit from them.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM
checked my lids and don't see a born on date or expiration date.

I've read plenty of articles and know there is a theoretical expiration to their service limits.

I agree that something is better than nothing. Someone who's going to take a used helmet over springing the cash for a new one is the same guy who'll ride all day long without one at all.

Finally, some people need to experience a shitty lid for a while before they understand the value in springing for a quality one - if they live long enough.

Keyser Soze
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I think many new riders do not understand that helmets do have an expiration date and you should not use one if it is damaged at all; even a small drop on concrete can ruin a helmet. I just don’t get why some people get a bike without saving money for a decent helmet and would go with a used one that is old. I guess it is better than no helmet, but it also deters them from buying a good one since they figure they already have one (not knowing in a crash it may not hold up).

I currently have Arai that I crashed at the track in and it looks ok from the outside (just a few scratches where it hit the ground), but I can see in the inside that it is shattered and no good (yes they shatter from the inside, not outside). People have asked for it, but no way; they are just not experienced or stupid.

http://williamthecoroner.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/istock_can-of-worms.jpg

bulldog
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 11:53 AM
lol...you would be surprised how many people do not know this.

Another one is ear protection. So few riders use earplugs and are slowly going deaf.

I did think of a use for old helmets. A flower pot! Would be cool to have a few around the house with my old helmets and a plant grwoing out of it.

Keyser Soze
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 11:57 AM
lol...you would be surprised how many people do not know this.

Another one is ear protection. So few riders use earplugs and are slowly going deaf.

I did think of a use for old helmets. A flower pot! Would be cool to have a few around the house with my old helmets and a http://dailyalex.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/big_bud_marijuana.jpg

out of it.

Fixed it for ya

bulldog
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM
After I posted that I knew I was setting myself up for that. :lol:

Those are hearty plants; I would need a XXXXL Chadwick (Mother Goose) size helmet for one of those :D

Keyser Soze
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM
After I posted that I knew I was setting myself up for that. :lol:

Those are hearty plants; I would need a XXXXL Chadwick (Mother Goose) size helmet for one of those :D

The man does have a huge noggin. It's like a virtual planetoid!

FZRguy
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
If you guys find an outdoor place to shoot (that's not in BFN), LMK. They are disappearing fast!

OUTLAWD
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 07:09 PM
checked my lids and don't see a born on date or expiration date.

should be stuck to the hard foam, under the liner.

I have a lid that just expired, but is otherwise perfect, I will still wear it on the street. But my lid that is a few years old that has sacked out pads, I will not wear, simply because it no longer fits properly.

asp_125
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 07:44 PM
The best thing about an expiry date is that you have a reason to go helmet shopping. Not that some of us need a reason.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
certainly helps justify the expense when you're married

OUTLAWD
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM
The best thing about an expiry date is that you have a reason to go helmet shopping. Not that some of us need a reason.

being that one patriotic spies replica expired, I should probably replace it with another spies replica :)

asp_125
Wed Dec 8th, 2010, 09:22 PM
being that one patriotic spies replica expired, I should probably replace it with another spies replica :)

Funny, I was just looking at that stars and stripes spies replica.

zx7rgirl
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM
One wrecked helmet sits on the fireplace mantel because only one side is damaged and it's my favorite Rossi replica design. The other wrecked helmet I cut the straps on and tossed in the trash.

FZRguy
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I like to keep mine b/c each one represents a time in my riding life. The oldest one I have is a Bell Star that I bought in 1980. Not sure what happened to my earlier MX helmets, but I wish I had those too.