PDA

View Full Version : Hooking computer up to TV

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Thought I would check with the techies here before I move to far forward.

Problem: I just got a new LCD flat screen and want to hook a computer up to it. TV is new, computer is a desktop HP from about 7 years ago.

Use: To surf the web, play music, maybe a little streaming youtube or something (we already have a blu-ray that will do netflix/hulu), no gaming through the computer.

Question: Can I just use a VGA to HDMI cable? Will it work? Would I need a video card with an HDMI output?

Insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Sarge
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Typically can't do VGA to HDMI, VGA is analog, HDMI is digital. Sometimes you can do DVI to HDMI, and there's a cable for that. I take it the TV doesn't have a VGA input?

salsashark
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
IIRC, the only down side with this is that DVI only carries video, not audio. You'll need to run separate audio from the PC.

**edit** thought you said VGI. Yeah, like Sarge said, you'd need a converter for VGA. With that in mind, probably better off getting a new video card.

PhL0aTeR
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 07:58 AM
im not a guru, but VGA is analog, HDMI is digital... something tells me you will either have to get a different video card, or maybe see if someone has made some kinda of converter. but this is just my halfassed educated opinion, I'm sure someone will follow close behind with a more concrete answer.

bulldog
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I doubt a 7 year old PC will have a good enough graphics card unless you have upgraded it. Not 100% sure though as I use my PS3 to stream from PC to TV.

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Good points, guys. I didn't realize it was Analog/digital. Sorry, I'm new to this game.

So I wonder if I can get away with a converter box like this? Link (http://www.amazon.com/Component-video-YPbPr-Converter-Up-scale/dp/B0016SN49Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291907068&sr=1-1)

Thanks again!

MetaLord 9
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I doubt a 7 year old PC will have a good enough graphics card unless you have upgraded it. Not 100% sure though as I use my PS3 to stream from PC to TV.^^I've got a 4-5 year old laptop that does the trick just fine!

If you've got a newer TV, I'm surprised it doesn't have a VGA input actually. That's what we ended up using for ours to watch Hulu.

What other options might you have? S-Video? What inputs does the TV have?

As far as the sound goes, just hook the sound into a spare spot on your surround sound or speaker system

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 08:14 AM
^^I've got a 4-5 year old laptop that does the trick just fine!

If you've got a newer TV, I'm surprised it doesn't have a VGA input actually. That's what we ended up using for ours to watch Hulu.

What other options might you have? S-Video? What inputs does the TV have?

As far as the sound goes, just hook the sound into a spare spot on your surround sound or speaker systemIt might have a VGA, I guess I just assumed it wouldn't. I'll have to double check.

What if there is no speaker "system" per se?

I'll see if I can find the inputs online.

MetaLord 9
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Our samsung has an odd combo for hooking up the PC. My options are:

- DVI with rca audio
- VGA with optical audio

Ya can't mix 'n match on the audio either, I tried it.

If there's no useable option for sound on the TV, you can always just hook up a decent set of speakers to the PC and use that as your sound

Sarge
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
A never video card, even a $50 one, is going to have DVI output. I actually have a DVI to HDMI cable that I paid like $12 for like 4 years ago. Should be able to find cheaper on Amazon.

One last thing, if you do get it to work, browse your TV options for a PC or VGA mode, otherwise the signal processing is going to distort the image and you're going to have to do a lot of resizing, stretching, etc.

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
A never video card, even a $50 one, is going to have DVI output. I actually have a DVI to HDMI cable that I paid like $12 for like 4 years ago. Should be able to find cheaper on Amazon.

One last thing, if you do get it to work, browse your TV options for a PC or VGA mode, otherwise the signal processing is going to distort the image and you're going to have to do a lot of resizing, stretching, etc.Sarge, so you're thinking of something like this? Link (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5677177&CatId=28)

Good call on checking modes on the TV :up:

bodhizafa
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Come by and check out my setup if you want. I have a mac mini hooked up to my LCD. Its pretty simple, and you can get the cables really cheap from monoprice.

Sarge
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Sarge, so you're thinking of something like this? Link (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5677177&CatId=28)

Good call on checking modes on the TV :up:

Almost, check the interface type, it's PCI Express 2.0, which a 7 year old budget PC is NOT going to have. You likely need AGP or PCI (not Express). Other than that, that card you linked has HDMI output on it, and likely has an input that leads from the sound card on your computer to push the audio over the HDMI cable.

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Come by and check out my setup if you want. I have a mac mini hooked up to my LCD. Its pretty simple, and you can get the cables really cheap from monoprice.Maybe I'll swing by this weekend? We're over due for a beer anyway.

bodhizafa
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I'll be around. Might even have some extra cables.

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Almost, check the interface type, it's PCI Express 2.0, which a 7 year old budget PC is NOT going to have. You likely need AGP or PCI (not Express). Other than that, that card you linked has HDMI output on it, and likely has an input that leads from the sound card on your computer to push the audio over the HDMI cable.Yeah, I wasn't really sure what the PCI Express 2.0 was. Thanks for the info, Sarge. :up:

Sarge
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 09:25 AM
No prob, if I weren't so busy "advising and assisting" the Iraqi people, I'd be more than happy to stop by or something and help you out. ;)

salsashark
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM
No prob, if I weren't so busy "advising and assisting" the Iraqi people, I'd be more than happy to stop by or something and help you out. ;)

They're having problems hooking computers up to their flatscreens too?! :dunno:

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM
No prob, if I weren't so busy "advising and assisting" the Iraqi people, I'd be more than happy to stop by or something and help you out. ;)Always full of excuses!

Sarge
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
They're having problems hooking computers up to their flatscreens too?! :dunno:

Hah, you'd be surprised.

What I was referring to is that we've changed the mission. It's no longer "Operation Iraqi Freedom" as of Sept1, it's not Operation New Dawn, and as Obama has said, all Combat operations are over.

Which means, instead of being "3rd Brigade Heavy Combat Team" with tanks and Bradleys etc, we are now "3rd Advise and Assist Brigade" complete with tanks and bradleys, etc...

Basically, absolutely nothing has changed, but we're no longer referred to as "Combat Troops" even though we're part of the 4th Infantry Division.

So, yes, pun intended. :canuck:

Zach929rr
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Derp (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&q=vga+to+hdmi+converter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1579670655942264998&ei=ARYBTYf0D426sAPutqmwCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q8wIwAA#)

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Derp (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&q=vga+to+hdmi+converter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1579670655942264998&ei=ARYBTYf0D426sAPutqmwCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q8wIwAA#)Why am I always hesitant to click on any link that you post up? :lol:

Thanks for the info, bud. It looks like that would work like a champ. I think I'm going to try other options first. Maybe I can rig something on the cheap? :dunno:

TFOGGuys
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Why am I always hesitant to click on any link that you post up? :lol:

Because of Sh!t like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ).....

Imagine how THAT will work on your big screen..... :puke:

Zach929rr
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Your Tv should have an S-video input or a VGA input on it.

salsashark
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_WENF5AxFUtU/SUfcRdmljCI/AAAAAAAAB0s/cEic7kSeTQ0/FamilyGuyVomit.gif

They definitely needed more then one cup!

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 12:33 PM

I may question a link that Zach posts. But with you Jim, I already know better. :shocked:

OUTLAWD
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Your Tv should have an S-video input or a VGA input on it.

werd. my TV has VGA that I use to hook up to my laptop, then I either run audio to the TV or my stereo

salsashark
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Picked up a Sony Vaio a year or so ago and found out it had an HDMI out when I got it home.

Now, I keep an extra HDMI cable plugged into the receiver in case I want to stream off the interwebz... works great for MotoGP.

Sean
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Update:
Looks like I have an RGB (?) input and an 1/8 in audio in. The RGB is a mini VGA, isn't it? So I should just be able to get that connector and an 1/8 stereo and I should be fine, right?

Thanks again for all of the input guys. :up:

~Barn~
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 01:24 PM
It can definitely be done. Here's my setup running 1080p high-def from my PC to my 46" Sony, over a standard D-Sub connection.

I have HDMI available, but I prefer the D-Sub hookup since I can use features like Monitor Sleep, PIP with TV tuner audio, and other assorted mumbo jumbo. And there's no resolution sacrifice.

http://jp63zw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1phykd5kHIWJsbiEqdxO8pOLyKt3-cXGH2xb6YprMELR2JKla5Qgw8kB0ioNIvFhP5JHjx6Xx4-khfFgyfsZhDFzyGQiBlyu-k/P8181091.JPG?psid=1

Zach929rr
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
That stack of PS2 games looks familiar

~Barn~
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 01:44 PM
They are awesome. Mostly Max Payne 2.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 02:03 PM
barndon...i have that same tower...so that means my PC can be hooked to my TV? I have it connected to my Xbox360 as an extender, but it doesn't let me see all my videos / listen to all my music. This would eliminate that right?

~Barn~
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
That PC is no longer stock, Trav. I've upgraded a ton of stuff, including the graphics card. That said, you still should be able to hook up any typical D-Sub output, to a TV that has a D-Sub port. :dunno:

bulldog
Thu Dec 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM
barndon...i have that same tower...so that means my PC can be hooked to my TV? I have it connected to my Xbox360 as an extender, but it doesn't let me see all my videos / listen to all my music. This would eliminate that right? Get rid of the Xbox360 and get a PS3; it streams all file types even Blurays .mkv files!

You can also use TVeristy on the Xbox360 and it streamed a lot more files with that software. It is free and can be found at http://tversity.com/