PDA

View Full Version : Good place for used skis?

tecknojoe
Sat Dec 11th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Looking to get my gf a pair of used skis. Where's a good place to check out?

Sully
Sun Dec 12th, 2010, 08:54 AM
You could check out Play It Again Sports. I believe some places that rent ski's also sell their prior year rentals. (Gart's, Colorado Ski & Golf). There is also a resale shop in the Old Gaylord area I believe but I can't remember the name.

Airreed
Sun Dec 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Craigslist

Xtremjeepn
Mon Dec 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
This place over in Wash Park seems to have a good selection of used stuff, usually at pretty reasonable prices.

Sports Plus
1055 South Gaylord Street
Denver, CO 80209Get Directions

(303) 777-6613

I have one used set of Volant Super Carves with bindings I would let go for $40.

Sparker
Mon Dec 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I have a pair of Rossig cuts in a 177 with marker 800 bindings. Were my rock skis about 4-5 years ago and havnt been used since. Has storage wax on, a quick scrape and a binding redrill ur good to go. FREE

salsashark
Mon Dec 13th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Your best bet is to rent until the end of the season. Then, if she still wants some, scope out the demo sales. They usually start in March.

I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but you should be extremely cautious buying used skis. You need to have the bindings adjusted and tested to make sure they're still safe to use. Doing this, you'll need her boots so you can have the bindings torque tested with them. Bindings have a limited amount of adjustability built in. Once you reach the end of that you need to have the bindings remounted... which means on average, 8 more holes in each ski. Plus, you'll need the boots to set the DIN (http://www.dinsetting.com/) on the bindings. Any ski shop worth their weight won't mount bindings without boots. I know of a few that will do it with rental boots, but that's just unsafe.

If she doesn't have boots, DON'T BUY SKIS.

asp_125
Mon Dec 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Used skis if the boot size is similar, and the bindings are not more than a few years old. Most shops won't even work on bindings that are 5 or 6 seasons old.

tecknojoe
Mon Dec 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Word I didn't know about all that. Someone mentioned renting a pair for an entire season. Who does that? Christy's?

thanks for all the info

salsashark
Mon Dec 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I don't know about season rentals this far into the season. When I was tuning skis, we would do season rentals in August-October. I would call Christy Sports, Sports Authority, Breeze and Colorado Ski & Golf and see what they say.

PunyJuney
Tue Dec 14th, 2010, 09:07 AM
You should post her size.
My current ski's are 160's and I have a spare pair of boots that didn't ever fit (size 6). They're intermediate ski's (Atomic with Rossi bindings) and high end Salomon boots. The ski's are recently tuned and are 100% safe. I skied on them a couple of weeks ago.
Santa bought me new skis, so you are welcome to borrow the Atomic skis and/or the boots and if she likes them we'll work something out.

drago52
Tue Dec 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I picked up a pre-mounted, unused pair of skis this weekend at the REI garage sale. Got a great deal. REI doesn't advertise the garage sales anymore, but they have them once a month.

tecknojoe
Tue Dec 14th, 2010, 04:33 PM
actually got a pair of dynastars last night with the right boot size for her. If they don't fit her right I can just sell them on craigs and get something else for her. thanks for all the info. see you jerks in the mountains.