PDA

View Full Version : Geek Squad...what are your opinions about them?

LambeauXLIV
Tue Dec 14th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Mainly because I'm looking at maybe getting a part-time job there while I'm in school.

What are your opinions about them? Anything from personal experience of their services or your judgement of their expertise.

Thanks

chanke4252
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 03:29 AM
i worked at best buy very briefly (not geek squad) and my mother has had them work on her system at one point. i don't like the way i've seen them treat customers, i don't think they have enough training and know-how to rightly charge the rates that they do, and they have given my mother bad advice on a few occasions.

might be an ok place to work part time, but I wouldn't say there's much of a future in it.

Sarge
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 04:14 AM
They're some outside company who are just contracted. They have a bunch of pay grades based on qualifications and etc. Basically, unless you're a senior tech, you have no say in anything and make like $12/hour. On site guys make a little more. While a job is a job, especially in school, I might work there if it came down to it, especially if I knew it weren't permanent, but honestly I think the place is a bit of a scam. Their basic diagnostic fee is something like $120, before they even start fixing anything. So, I basically agree with chanke, a job is a job, but the Geek Squad is likely not going to make a decent career choice.

gtn
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Every time I've purchased any sort of computer related item at Best Buy they try to sell me some sort of Geek Squad service. When I tell them I'm in IT and don't need any help, the person I'm talking to always immediately hits me up for a job. Interpret this how you wish.

vort3xr6
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
The geek squad is legal rape. They charge such astronomical fees and use the oldest computer diagnostic techniques.

While I think it would be a decent place to work at, I would never hire them.

konichd
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 08:56 AM
My wife hired them to come setup our home network. The guy we got was very courteious, seem to know what he was doing, and got everything hooked up (2 laptops, wireless printer, router, etc.) in about an hour for @$100 dollars. He even cleaned out new laptops (both purchased at Best Buy) for free (something they charge over $100 at the store).

The guy was quick, did over and beyond what he needed to do, and to this day I can print anything I need naked on the toilet :)

Ricky
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 10:29 AM
The geek squad is for those starting out, or for those that can't get a real IT job... From a consumer standpoint, any time anyone asks me if geek squad is good for support, I tell them no. You are generally overcharged for someone who doesn't have the experience you are paying for. It's amazing how often I'll let one of these guys ramble on about something til they get it wrong, and when I correct them, *DEER IN HEADLIGHTS*.

I can't take them seriously, but then again I've been doing IT work since I was 15. As a little part timer, I don't see why not.

TurboGizzmo
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I mootlighted at Circuit City for seasonal years ago, i just played along, didnt say too much and didnt oversell, of course i wasnt kept on after the Christmas rush but it was easy pay and i got great deals on stuff.....its not currently listed on my resume ;)

Filo
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I hear that the Geek Squad is a CIA front. Or is that the Nerd Herd at the Buy More? I always get those mixed up.

McVaaahhh
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Can't say as to working experience, but I hated dealing with them when I was helping my mom by a computer. One of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had. :down:

JonnyD
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM
As is with almost every tech job, it's about the people. I'd say go for it! Learn from the people that aren't tools, and avoid the ones that are. People will have good and bad experiences with Geek Squad. If it will get you money and experience it can't be a bad thing!

fasterlaster
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Somewhat on a tangent, but what is your major while at school? If in any Comp Sci or related field you may want to just consider trying to work for the school you are at. More interesting people and better depth of learning. If just wanting to get your geek on and make some cash, sounds like working Tech at a retail outlet sounds decent.

LambeauXLIV
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Computer science. My most recent job was an internship of sorts at a small local software development company. It was a great job, but the pay sucked. From what I understand, geek squad starts at around 11/hr. where i worked before paid 8.

Mel
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
It's a job, it pays money, and in todays economy that puts you well ahead of a lot of people.
Working in the tech industry, I will tell you that you should not expect any kind of "expertise" to come out of working for Geek Squad and that most reputable tech companies will probably laugh if they see it on your resume down the road.

derekm
Wed Dec 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I can print anything I need naked on the toilet :)
well worth it! :cheers:

Matt
Thu Dec 16th, 2010, 07:13 AM
They installed a car stereo in my wife's car. Buying the stereo at Best Buy gave us a discount for having them install it. It seemed like it was worth the money (maybe $50). The person doing the work was extremely capable and completed the work easily. No complaints there.

I wouldn't even think of hiring them to do any thing else.

As a student, what do you really care? After graduating nobody is going to care what kind of jobs you had to get you through school. I pumped gas, worked for a plumber, unloaded moving vans, whatever brought in some cash.